What's new

TOBS Lavendar

Just had my first TOBS cream shave with the lavendar. Wow! Killer performance, I know the scent gets a little bagging here but I loved it and the whole shave was very enjoyable.

One of the very few creams that I have permanently retired to underneath the sink. The smell didn't resemble lavender flowers at all, to me, I stress, and I hated the lurid dyed color. I have the same problem with some Trumper creams I was prepared to give a lot of love to. Nope.

Great performance, for the TOBS, I'll give you that. I have their grapefruit, which smells like grilled grapefruit, if you can imagine such a thing, and is pretty good. But I find myself reaching for my Harris or T+H creams far more often. Authentic aromas, no grim dyes, and superior performance.

I actually think it smells more like lavender essential oil then lavender flowers, odd explanation but I have both in vast quantities here at home.

I am with you on the dye though, don't know why they bother

Never tried TOBS Lavender, but I'm glad it worked out for you! I do have a question for you lavender lovers out there though. I see a lot of talk about the authenticity of lavender scents in various products, I with TOBS generally falling on the "not quite" side of the the fence.

I have both Castle Forbes and Coates lavender creams. While I really do enjoy them both, they are vastly different. And yet, when I opened each one of them up for the first time and took a whiff, they both made me think "yup, that's lavender". I don't know if I've ever smelled "true" lavender before, only that I've always enjoyed things that are allegedly lavender scented. CF is much sharper/herbal, and Coates is a lot sweeter/smoother to me, if that makes sense. I've heard CF described as a very authentic lavender scent, but never heard anything about Coates.

My question, I guess, is to you lavender guys: where along the spectrum of authenticity do you place some of the various lavender scents? And more specifically (and to keep it on topic), how does TOBS Lavender compare to the two I've mentioned? I would like to try it almost based on the wildly different experiences I've heard about it.

Thanks fellers.

Lavender scent varies with the species of plant that the oil comes from. There are different varieties (and also different colors of lavender --- even white). And sometimes the same species can have a slightly different smell if grown in a different area.

So there's a good bit of variation in the scents. Depending on which 'lavender' is chosen by the manufacturer, you will get a different fragrance. But they are all authentic, justl preference by the manufacturer as to which actual scent they use. And personal preference by you as to which ones you like.

When I was in Paris as a student, I bought a kilogram (well, it was priced per kilo and I didn't know any better) of lavender flowers from a Parisian flea market to take back home to my sister. The lady pulled out a garbage bag and proceeded to load me up with 2.2 pounds of the stuff. My suitcase and clothes took months to get that scent out. But the scent is very close to that of the Castle Forbes, so CF is what my mind thinks of as 'lavender'.

You will see the same variation in other hand soaps, shampoos, essential oils, etc. For lavender, it's always best to do a sniff test before purchasing. You never know what you're gonna get.

By the way, lavender is a very hardy plant that likes crummy soil, dry conditions, and brutal heat. I've learned that here in the south the stuff can grow like weeds in flower beds as long as you don't fuss with it. You could try growing some and see which ones appeal to your nose the best.

Just had my first TOBS cream shave with the lavendar. Wow! Killer performance, I know the scent gets a little bagging here but I loved it and the whole shave was very enjoyable.

Glad you are enjoying it. TOBS creams are excellent performers. I also have a tub of TOBS lavendar that I am going to give the 3017 treatment to shortly. I don't like the purple color and the scent is not lavander. So once its gone it wont be replaced. I thought I read somewhere that TOBS Lavendar was discontinued? I am sure their is lots of old stock around, just curious if its true and they are no longer making it? Either way, I'm not a fan of the flavor.

Never tried TOBS Lavender, but I'm glad it worked out for you! I do have a question for you lavender lovers out there though. I see a lot of talk about the authenticity of lavender scents in various products, I with TOBS generally falling on the "not quite" side of the the fence.

I have both Castle Forbes and Coates lavender creams. While I really do enjoy them both, they are vastly different. And yet, when I opened each one of them up for the first time and took a whiff, they both made me think "yup, that's lavender". I don't know if I've ever smelled "true" lavender before, only that I've always enjoyed things that are allegedly lavender scented. CF is much sharper/herbal, and Coates is a lot sweeter/smoother to me, if that makes sense. I've heard CF described as a very authentic lavender scent, but never heard anything about Coates.

My question, I guess, is to you lavender guys: where along the spectrum of authenticity do you place some of the various lavender scents? And more specifically (and to keep it on topic), how does TOBS Lavender compare to the two I've mentioned? I would like to try it almost based on the wildly different experiences I've heard about it.

Thanks fellers.

Actually that would be interestingly. I did see that on the ingredients list of the cream that it has actual lavender, so as mentioned it must just be a different variety to others.

Wow I can imagine that 3017'ing this bad boy would take a fair while, how long do you anticipate for it? Btw not sure I could deal with a lavender scent everyday, I love it everyone and then though. I'm always amazed by the 3017 crews dedication. One day I'll jump that train.

I really dislike the purple dye.....it turned my brush hairs purple and I never did get all the color out. The creme did ok, but I wouldn't buy it again.

I own a tub. We had lavender shrubs outside the last place I worked so I used to get a really pleasant smell on my way in and out of the building. I have to say I'm in agreement with the majority (it seems) on here about TOBS Lavender cream and the scent. I was quite disappointed with the scent. The cream itself is the usual TOBS affair for me: it lathers well, with ease and performance wise is a good cream.

The current scent is better than what it used to be when they were using a synthetic lavender fragrance - think Coate's less erudite, beer-swilling cousin. That said, I'm in agreement with others: the lavender oil used in the current incarnation is mediocre. Off the top of my head, I can think of three brands that are better for pure EO scent: Castle Forbes, T&H UC, and AOS.

I don't like Coate's lavender, either. Very interesting that you all mention that the TOBS aroma might resemble lavender essential oil rather than lavender flowers. I grew lavender, a few varieties, and I want a cream that smells like the flowers. Like vintage Yardley soap used to smell. Sigh. I have narrowed my horizons, so my den now has no lavender in it at all. Once burned, twice burned.

I actually think it smells more like lavender essential oil then lavender flowers...

Very interesting that you all mention that the TOBS aroma might resemble lavender essential oil rather than lavender flowers. I grew lavender, a few varieties, and I want a cream that smells like the flowers.

Given that lavender essential oil is extracted from the flower buds, which are the flowers in their "embryonic" state, I'm at a loss to understand the difference between the smell of good lavender essential oil and the smell of lavender flowers. (I emphasize "good," because there certainly are lousy lavender oils out there that don't smell much like fresh lavender buds or flowers at all.) To me, they smell pretty close to the same, allowing for inevitable differences in scent between various oil pressings and various plants. Can someone explain their concept of the difference?

Also, as far as lavender goes, since a grooming product will only be scented with essential oil rather than flowers, why would one expect a product to smell more like flowers and less like the oil? (Granted, some lavender products do contain ground up lavender buds, but the scent of the buds isn't intense enough to fragrance the product; the product scent still comes from the essential oil.)

Given that lavender essential oil is extracted from the flower buds, which are the flowers in their "embryonic" state, I'm at a loss to understand the difference between the smell of good lavender essential oil and the smell of lavender flowers. (I emphasize "good," because there certainly are lousy lavender oils out there that don't smell much like fresh lavender buds or flowers at all.) To me, they smell pretty close to the same, allowing for inevitable differences in scent between various oil pressings and various plants. Can someone explain their concept of the difference?

Also, as far as lavender goes, since a grooming product will only be scented with essential oil rather than flowers, why would one expect a product to smell more like flowers and less like the oil? (Granted, some lavender products do contain ground up lavender buds, but the scent of the buds isn't intense enough to fragrance the product; the product scent still comes from the essential oil.)
I know, it's odd. But I really, really do know the aroma of lavender plants very well; we had tons of the stuff in our garden when I was married. My wife loved it, and she was a good gardener. And Yardley did indeed smell like the flowers. I know that different types of lavender flowers do smell a little different. But the TOBS does not, to me, have the slightest hint of lavender flower. I even wrote to TOBS about this (and something else.) The very nice reply affirmed that their rose cream did indeed contain no rose, but she assured me that the lavender cream DID have lavender oil.

So I am a little puzzled. Still. No great surprise. But the nasty color would put me off anyway.

Love TOBS, but not the Lavender. Mine has a faint cardboard-y smell to it. Like all the TOBS, it works great, so I'll use it up, but not very quickly.

TOBS Lavender was one of my first wet shaving products a couple years ago. I remember liking the scent and performance.

Lavender scent varies with the species of plant that the oil comes from. There are different varieties (and also different colors of lavender --- even white). And sometimes the same species can have a slightly different smell if grown in a different area.

So there's a good bit of variation in the scents. Depending on which 'lavender' is chosen by the manufacturer, you will get a different fragrance. But they are all authentic, justl preference by the manufacturer as to which actual scent they use. And personal preference by you as to which ones you like.

When I was in Paris as a student, I bought a kilogram (well, it was priced per kilo and I didn't know any better) of lavender flowers from a Parisian flea market to take back home to my sister. The lady pulled out a garbage bag and proceeded to load me up with 2.2 pounds of the stuff. My suitcase and clothes took months to get that scent out. But the scent is very close to that of the Castle Forbes, so CF is what my mind thinks of as 'lavender'.

You will see the same variation in other hand soaps, shampoos, essential oils, etc. For lavender, it's always best to do a sniff test before purchasing. You never know what you're gonna get.

By the way, lavender is a very hardy plant that likes crummy soil, dry conditions, and brutal heat. I've learned that here in the south the stuff can grow like weeds in flower beds as long as you don't fuss with it. You could try growing some and see which ones appeal to your nose the best.

This makes sense, there are some interviews with people from Castle Forbes on YouTube and they've stated that they get their lavender essential oil from France.

I think it was in one of these. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJaN5UmT_7Q http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A96PiY960v8

Last edited:

I did a little smell test this morning, picked a flower off two of my lavender plants (both different varieties but that's about all I know), the lavender essential oil (springfield brand, I'm in Australia if that helps) and the TOBS. The TOBs smelled closest to the oil, and both the oil and the TOBS smelt more dense and darker then either plant. The two flowers smelt slightly different, but you could tell that they all were from the same family if that makes any sense.

PS I have no idea if my oil is good, bad or indifferent.

I like the Lavender as well. My favorite TOBS scent so far (have yet to try Rose) and the performance is top notch.

I like the Lavender as well. My favorite TOBS scent so far (have yet to try Rose) and the performance is top notch.

Good to hear! The performance is top notch, and across the range of their scents judging by the consensus here. After I finish off the remaining proraso I have I will look to use this cream for a while, really is a luxurious shave!

TOBS Lavender is my (and my girlfriend's, which is always a plus...) personal all-time favorite shaving cream at the moment. I love the scent, and I feel that it smells pretty close to the lavender essential oil I keep on hand at home. I've read in a couple places that it's on a base of some different scents, including patchouli? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so it does have undertones of other fragrances. Despite what some others have said about the color, I actually really like the dyed purple color of the cream. Don't know why - pastel colors just appeal to my eye I guess. Doesn't in any way affect its performance - as it always whips up to an awesome thick and cushiony lather for me.

Top Bottom