What's new

Tips on Holding My Liquor Better?

I like gin, a lot. The problem? It gets ne fast .I know that not drinking on an empty stomach and drinking slowly are good but are there any other tips to not become sloppy drunk?

A very terrible idea is to build your tolerance.

Maybe try gin with a strong flavor, like Beefeaters. It’s relatively inexpensive and it’s my favorite gin. I find I like its strong flavor more than the more IMO mild flavors found on the higher shelf’s.

A very terrible idea is to build your tolerance.

Maybe try gin with a strong flavor, like Beefeaters. It’s relatively inexpensive and it’s my favorite gin. I find I like its strong flavor more than the more IMO mild flavors found on the higher shelf’s.
Thank you, that's a great idea!

Not that I know of.

I don't know why, every time I drink I get drunk.

One drink is too many and 10 drinks are not enough.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
With eating and drinking in moderation covered, I'll add drinking water.
While I find it hard to do myself, having a glass of water between drinks will slow up your pace.
Having a glass or two before going out also can assist. That way you're not throwing it back to quince your thirst.
Put the glass down between sips. A glass in hand gets raised more often.

If all else fails then charge on. Bottoms up. :)

There is a program called Moderation Managment. I don’t know that much about it- no affiliation or anything. Essentially it is a self-help program that teaches mental techniques to manage drinking to a healthy level rather than total abstinence.

Me? I had to go straight to total abstinence. But that’s another story. A whole lot of stories, actually!!

Stay away from navy strength gin at 114 proof, I suppose. Actually, gin seems to vary quite a bit in proof. I suppose stick to 80 proof. At least for me, I find the higher the proof of the liquor the what seems like out of proportion buzzed I get. Gin is a problem, too, because lots of good gin drinks--martinis, gimlets, negronis, even things like Aviations or even French 75s are made strong and taste better strong, at least to me. Gin and tonics can be made any strength, as can, say, gin rickeys, or Tom Collins. (Does anyone drink Tom Collins any more?)

Drink lots of water. Drink a glass of soda water between each drink. I benefit of tall gin drinks is you can go from say a gin and tonic to a glass of soda water without looking like you have intentionally changed to a nonalcoholic drink.

Eat, of course. Don't drink at all where you think you are going to feel nervous or wired up.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like a G&T myself, Mickey. Hendricks is my favourite. I'd consider either making it a longer drink (use more mixer), or find a gin you're happy to savour rather than guzzle it down. I don't "rush" Hendricks as much as I do a cheaper gin.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ian will be here shortly.

"Beefea ..."

proxy.php

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Along with the good advice that's already been given, try adding more ice in your glass. On hot days, the melting ice will aid you in drinking more water.

You just need to build up your tolerance for it. Now, Im not advocating drinking every day but you need to expose yourself to it fairly often and you will build up a resistance to it.

<You just need to build up your tolerance for it.>

Yikes! Be careful out there. A tolerance, for instance, is not going to change the reading on a breathalyzer. And tolerance can be a sign of creeping addiction. And when "one drink is too many and 10 drinks are not enough," nature is trying to tell you something very important.

This is coming from someone who likes a drink or even a few.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The key really is to slow down. Short of gaining weight, there isn't much else to do. There are a few good ways to do it.

Savor your drink, for one. Reflect a bit on the flavor and aroma throughout the experience from just smelling it before you drink and on through the finish. Remain aware of your drink, which can be tricky if you are socializing and even more so if you are watching sports or something like that.

Keep water along side your drink, as well. Drink it with your cocktail. Not every sip needs to be alcoholic. While a water break is a good idea, it is easier to keep up with how much water you really are drinking if it's right there in front of you the whole time.

Mind your own pace and don't worry about how quickly anyone else is drinking. Don't race. Don't keep score. The objective is to have a good time before, during, and after.

Don't do shots or shooters. Just don't.

Be aware of your state going in. If you are tired or feeling a bit under the weather, you will feel the effects of alcohol much more quickly. If you are stressed or angry or even just celebrating, you may drink more quickly than if you are relaxed.

Keep in mind that the more you drink at a sitting, the easier they go down.

The bottom line is to slow down.

I like gin, a lot.

I like gin too and being retired I down about half a fifth a day. Tips: space them out. Between drinks, in the same glass, nurse a glass of water or plain tonic (add a slice of lemon for flavor). After every 2 drinks, take an hour break with something to eat and a cup of coffee. As much as I drink, I can still function and work in the yard, cut the lawn, or work on my car or computer.

My #1 rule is: once I have that first drink of the day I never drive.
My #2 rule is: after 4pm, I switch to water (or gatorade) to re-hydrate so I get a good nights sleep. If my wife and I go out to dinner after 4pm, I limit myself to one beer or stick to coke.
My #3 rule is: keep track of how many you've had. I put a line on the tonic bottle with a magic marker. It's so easy to lose track.

Follow the departed Queen Mum's lead - drink daily at the "Magic Hour".

Chris
A story of the Queen Mother and gin: Her household employed quite a number of gay men (William Tallon aka “Backstairs Billy” being the most notable). On one occasion, they were late bringing Her daily tipple, so She went downstairs into the butler’s pantry and said in a very commanding voice: “I don’t know what you old queens might want, but this Old Queen wants a gin”.

Sorry I can’t help with the original question, though!

Consider this; everyone's tolerance for alcohol is different. I had a grandad who was a real rootin tootin cowboy. It was hid job. He broke horses for a living after WW1 in Wyoming. He was one of those people who rarely sat still. He wore the same size clothes when they buried him as when he was married. He was a lean, tough as nails bronc buster, amateur wrestler and boxer. A natural athlete. He was no one to trifle with well into his fifties. And he never drank.

He did once in Wyoming during his cowpunching days. A couple of whiskeys at the locsl watering hole and he went wild. Shooting off his sixgun at the moon on horseback. The locals were not impressed. Or scared. Pretty tame stuff to them. They chucked him in the local constabulary's overnight and sent him home sober. The point was, he had no tolerance for it. So he steered clear. To be honest, I don't know if you actuallly can change your tolerance to its effects. He was not afraid of addiction. Only what it did to him. He never had a struggle or anything like that. He was just incompatible with it. So don't try to change your body to it. Adjust your intske to your body.

Last edited:
First, it is important to never drink on an empty stomach. Any alcohol will creep up on you pretty fast when you haven't eaten. So first thing is to make sure you eat, either before or during. Also, drink slowly. If you pound those drinks pretty fast, by the time you start to feel like you overdid it, it's too late. Other than that, it is important for you to know your own limits. I learned pretty early on how much of any given spirit, brew or wine I could handle. When I have gone beyond my own limits and start to feel sloppy drunk, I immediately cut myself off and start drinking water. The more water I drink the less severe my hangover will be the next day.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The only tip you really need on holding your liquor better:

proxy.php

Use both hands!

Top Bottom