What's new

Tips for when you're pulled over while carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given some recent news--the gist of which may well change as more facts become known, as always--I just thought I'd leave this here for consideration, from Massad Ayoob.

Couple of points:

1. In my state, I'm sure that my CC license comes up when police run my plates and/or license, so handing over the CC license with the driver's license makes sense--we're going to have "the conversation" anyway, let's get it done right up front. (Note: in my state I don't have a duty to inform, but with an in-state stop I think it's a good idea given the above.) It also lets the officer know that he's probably not dealing with a felon.

2. To add to the recommendations, I'd say put on your dome light if nighttime, keep your hands on the wheel, and if you have to reach for anything--such as the registration or proof of insurance--tell the officer what you're about to do. Say "my registration is in the glove box," wait for the nod or acknowledgment, then reach nice and easy.

3. Whenever I'm carrying in the car, I keep my wallet out of my back pocket. Just seems sensible: a move for the wallet and a move for a weapon seem awfully similar.

4. I've been stopped once while carrying (45 in a 35--brutal!), followed the above and below advice, cop asked me whether I was carrying now and where it was, told him, and he politely asked me to leave it there. I have a feeling that my being up front--and obviously as concerned with his safety as my own--helped me get off with a warning to slow it down rather than a ticket, but I can't be sure.

All you LE fellas, I'd love to hear your take, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Given some recent news--the gist of which may well change as more facts become known, as always--I just thought I'd leave this here for consideration, from Massad Ayoob.

Couple of points:

1. In my state, I'm sure that my CC license comes up when police run my plates and/or license, so handing over the CC license with the driver's license makes sense--we're going to have "the conversation" anyway, let's get it done right up front. (Note: in my state I don't have a duty to inform, but with an in-state stop I think it's a good idea given the above.) It also lets the officer know that he's probably not dealing with a felon.

2. To add to the recommendations, I'd say put on your dome light if nighttime, keep your hands on the wheel, and if you have to reach for anything--such as the registration or proof of insurance--tell the officer what you're about to do. Say "my registration is in the glove box," wait for the nod or acknowledgment, then reach nice and easy.

3. Whenever I'm carrying in the car, I keep my wallet out of my back pocket. Just seems sensible: a move for the wallet and a move for a weapon seem awfully similar.

4. I've been stopped once while carrying (45 in a 35--brutal!), followed the above and below advice, cop asked me whether I was carrying now and where it was, told him, and he politely asked me to leave it there. I have a feeling that my being up front--and obviously as concerned with his safety as my own--helped me get off with a warning to slow it down rather than a ticket, but I can't be sure.

All you LE fellas, I'd love to hear your take, too.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a nurse, deal with LEO's more than the average person, probably. As a whole, you won't find a better group of folks. On a side note: I always put my hands on top of my head, fingers spliced together. Yes, can tiring, but at night this gives the cop clear view of my hands. They ALWAYS tell me put them down, but seem appreciative. And where I live, we must let them know we are licensed, even when not carrying.
Those men and women are putting their lives on the line every time they go to work, and they don't need any help from me at making it more difficult.
PS: love the Buddy Rich quote. The man was pure poetry and genius in motion.

Last edited by a moderator:
In some states (maybe all) the police will know you have a CCW permit as soon as they get back the data from running your tag.

If stopped...

Hands stay on the wheel. Left hand at 10:00 right hand at 2:00. KEEP THEM THERE until advised otherwise.
Advise the officer right from the get-go that you are carring a weapon and where it is. Politely ask how he/she would like to proceed. Then simply follow instructions. Move slowly. Don't get snarky. That is really all there is to it.

I try to keep it simple, I tell the officer I have a hand gun in the car and keep my hands on the wheel. Only once has an officer ask me to hand it over, which I did respectfully. He was also the only officer who asked me why I had a hand gun in the car, I believe he was campus police.

Good advice.....

I have been after our state legislature to have CCW as an endorsement on the DL as you must have state photo ID to validate the separate permit so seems logical to have it ON the DL. That way everything is UP front when DL, Reg, proof of insurance is handed over. THEN the officer can ask about a firearm.

Since it is NOT on the DL I always include the CCW along with the other documents rather than say anything, leaving it up to them to decide how to handle things. Most take note but only once was a trooper interested in gaining possession. Lady trooper and SHE took it out of my front pocket while I stood VERY still and tried not to giggle :lol:

I've had CCW issued in 2 states where I have lived going back almost 30 years now. I would feel very stupid if I were unarmed as it is now so natural.

It would be nice if there were a Federal CCW that was valid in ALL states and territories with requirements/restrictions covered under Federal laws. Requirements the same as an FFL issuance (FBI background check, fingerprints, BATF records,etc) The current piecemeal reciprocity makes it very difficult for honest people to travel/vacation as taking a firearm in and out of lock-box makes you very vulnerable while doing so (some goody two shoes cell phones in "he's got a gun" is all it would take to make things very scary).

Last edited:
Here in Missouri they took it off the DL. That's because of a law we passed which was designed to keep the federal government from having a data base of CCW holders.

Even without a weapon, those are good rules. Growing up I was always told the guy with the gun his name is SIR. :)

Cops don't like sudden movements, hidden hands and back talk.

-Stephen

I haven't been pulled over for anything in ages, but very much agree with the above. The whole point of the exercise is to make the officer as comfortable as possible whether or not you're carrying. Police are under constant pressure of sudden attack, particularly in the cities..but anywhere these days. They *must* maintain control of the situation, and that cannot happen with someone that's fidgeting around or making unpredictable movements. Anything else risks escalation. Well trained officers are going to be actively trying to de-escalate, but no one's perfect. When it appears that control is being lost, they have to take action to pull it back or risk fatal injury to themselves or others. Any disagreements with the officer, or the situation in general, should be dealt with after the fact, in front of a judge if necessary.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've only recently (this year) acquired my carry permit and started carrying daily. Here in TN if you have a permit you can open carry or conceal carry. Also, you can carry a weapon in your car even if you do not have a carry permit.

90% of the time my weapon is in plain view in my car. Because I can't keep it on me while at work, I leave it in my car (not in plain view). When I'm in my car I want it accessible so I place it in the center change holder thingy between the front seats.

I've rehearsed what to do if I'm ever pulled over many times and I remind myself every time I get in the car what to do. I keep my wallet (with my carry permit) easily accessible. Not in any pockets. This way I don't have to reach on myself for anything. Because my gun is in plain view my hands will remain on the steering wheel until instructed to move from the officer. If it's dark I'll turn the dome light on, but then back to the wheel the hands will go.

I will inform the officer of my carry permit and firearm right away. Any movement I make will be slow and at the officers request.

I try not to get pulled over by obeying the traffic laws but I'm sure it will happen eventually. And it might not even be a case of being pulled over, it could be a roadblock or other type of run in with the law. At any rate it's good to have a plan and have it rehearsed and know what to do.

I should probably say... I've have not been pulled over for a moving violation since I was 19.

You can get pulled over for any reason or sometimes no reason at all.

My wife has a visual issue that requires her to have all of the windows on her vehicles dark (limo black) tinted. Not a month goes by without getting pulled over in one or more of the vehicles we own as dark tint is not legal without a state police waver which she has. The waver is on the vehicle title and registration so it is never an issue but we will get stopped for having it.

I recall a Colorado State Police trooper making a dirt throwing U turn on the interstate, hit lights and siren to pull us over.

When he got to the window he said "the reason I pulled you over was because you don't have a front license plate" How he noticed that when we were closing at around 150 mph is beyond me. We informed him that Florida does not issue front license plates. He was a little take back but handled it well by saying "Well son, you are in Colorado now. Have a nice day" and left us to ponder the event.

So... It is possible to get stopped even for no reason. You need to be aware of things and ready for anything to stay out of trouble.

Always be polite. Always comply with any and all requests. Don't hesitate and always answer yes sir, no sir, with respect.

On a side note: I always put my hands on top of my head, fingers spliced together.

Don't.

Waaay back when I pushed a cruiser for a living, there were two things a driver could do with their hands, other than digging around the car, that made me nervous on a stop; hands immediately on top of the head, and hands immediately out the window.

The only people who did this were felons who already knew the routine. Making an officer think, or at least wonder, if you're a felon, is bad juju.

Just keep them on the steering wheel.

For those of you with permits, keep the permit, your DL, registration, and POI in the same location in your wallet. Pull them all at the same time. (Don't leave your registration in your glove box, or console.)

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just my input here Mark.

I've done hundreds, or thousands, of traffic stops.

Just don't do anything hinky. Keep your hands where the officer can see them and don't get aggressive...or sneaky acting.

Most cops are used to the "furtive" movements in the vehicle of someone reaching for the insurance cert. in the glove box and then reaching for their D.L. in their back pocket before the officer gets up to the vehicle. With the hands on the wheel that is acting "unusual" and them being "overly" compliant would raise some suspicion for me. But that's just me.

Here if you are licensed to carry you give your CHL to them along with your D.L. No biggie. Then just do what they ask you to do. In the current climate it may not be good to reach for your back pocket quickly and without being asked.

And yeah Mark...an argument on the street with the PoPo is not going to turn out well. Complain later in court.

Turtle...the Colorado stop for no front license plate doesn't sound right to me. I live about 20 miles from the Oklahoma border and they don't require a front license plate and everyone knows that. Especially since he was a State Trooper. But...stuff can happen. I had a case last year where a City Officer stopped a car from Oklahoma for no front license plate and found some contraband...illegal stop as the Officer could plainly see the Oklahoma tag on the back when he conducted the stop, and you know he called the tag number in, and his location, to dispatch before he got out of the car. Fruits of the Poisonous Tree are not looked upon real well.

That's just my two cents.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Perfect Stop:

Me: "#108 Headquarters"

Headquarters: "#108"

Me: "66" ( 10-66 traffic)

Headquarters: "Headquarters #108, go ahead"

Me: "Gives out license plate, vehicle descript.

Me: Activate overheads calls out general location. (hundred block of street)

Vehicle: Pulls over.

Me: Parks unit at 45 to rear of vehicle, takedown light on rearview mirror, spotlight on driver's side mirror.

Me: "#108 headquarters, out of unit" (gives out exact location)

Me: Exits unit, approaches vehicle, checks trunk with hand, while leaving my fingerprints on vehicle trunk.

Driver: Already has vehicle shut off, dome light in cab on, license, insurance and weapons permit in left hand, while both hands are on the top of steering wheel.

The minute I take hold of these things, I have already seen the effort the driver has went, to make me safe, and in my hand, who they are, and that they legally have a gun, before our first words are ever spoken.

We work with what we get, but this would be ideal. It takes almost 3 minutes from calling in the stop, to lighting up the vehicle, getting them to pull over, calling out the location and actually exiting the cruiser and approaching the vehicle.

Plenty of time, for a driver, to do these things. (if they so desire) :)

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
OkieStubble said:
dome light in cab on,

I was always taught if it's dark turn your overhead light on. I don't get pulled over a lot, but when I do the first thing I tell the officer while handing them my DL and my CPL is whether I'm carrying at that moment or where the pistol is located in my vehicle.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks, I didn't know that shutting the car off would be another good sign.

Yes sir, indeed. We are already a little apprehensive, when approaching a vehicle and see, that the driver has left the vehicle in gear and the brake light is on, possibly signaling an attempt in running, running over us while running, sticking a gun out the window and shooting before running.

So to us, these little things to you, i.e. vehicle in park and off, dome light on, information already in hand and hands on steering wheel, signals something HUGE to us. It signals compliance. It signals a supporter. This along with that very first polite and cordial tone of voice, immediately tells us, we have more than likely pulled over a friend of the police.

However, While the officer will show his appreciation with mutual voice tone and respect, he should also stay assertive. Not aggressive and rude, not overly good ol' boy nice, too relaxed and passive. That could get him killed. But assertive, polite, mannerly and respectful.

A Professional.

In most civilians eyes, a traffic stop is a one way street. But hopefully, in most police officer's eyes, it is or should be, seen as a two way street, in which both the officer and driver conduct a professional short term relationship and mutual agreement in keeping their community safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom