What's new

Tips for when you're pulled over while carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good thread with excellent advice.

One more suggestion, if you are driving from one state to another KNOW the legal requirements in each state. An individual I know was visiting in FL and did not realize open carry in an auto in FL was prohibited. He was not in the best part of town and had a pistol in plain view in the front seat. The police were doing DUI stops of all cars and spotted the pistol on the front seat. He was arrested and later fined. It could have been a lot worse.

Another time a neighbor was driving from FL to NY. He said he had to change a tire in, I think, NJ. He told me his trunk was open with an unloaded revolver in plain view. I police officer stopped and approached him. When he saw the gun he asked if he had a license. He said yes, a FL CCP. He was given a warning and told that this was not permitted, i.e., there was no reciprocity and he needed a valid permit to have a gun in his auto.

Excellent advise there Jim. When I was growing up in Oklahoma you could keep a handgun in the glove box as long as it wasn't loaded, but you could keep a loaded clip (don't jump on me guys...magazine) or a box of ammo right there next to it. A rifle or shotgun could have the magazine loaded as long as there wasn't one in the chamber.

A couple or three years ago SWMBOs ex...that had molested her daughter and was getting a divorce from his current wife because of affairs (I work for the attorney that handled the current wife's divorce), had went to SWMBO's job in Ok., and asked where she lived. Yeah, the front desk clerk got in a ton of trouble for giving that info. out.

We live close to the border in TX. where it is legal to carry a fully loaded firearm in your car without a license, and SWMBO has to drive about 10 miles on a remote county road to get to the main highway that leads across the border to go to work. I was going to let her put my S&W revolver in her console (she shoots that one very well) but looked up the current OK. laws. It has to be in a covered box or case, with it partially in view, to be in the driver's compartment. Totally useless. OK. does recognize concealed carry licenses from other states though.

It would be nice if a national carry in the car thing went into effect, but I don't see that happening.

As has been said for the OP's tip question...just don't do anything hinky.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
A man can only kill you with his hands and feet. If they haven't exited the vehicle, I only have to watch their hands. :)

That's understandable.

I want to make a few jokes about using other body parts, but alas, this is a forum of gentlemen (and ladies), so I'll refrain. :tongue_sm

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Fortunately, as a black police officer, I appreciate the extra effort from all of you guys. :)

shockeriknowrite?

Not a bit of a shock at all. It's all about how you act, not about what color you are.

Ya still wanna come down here to this old whitey Redneck guy's place so I can show you how to properly shoot a revolver? :lol:

I've been saying the same thing for over 30 years when someone pulls out the race card..."I don't care if you are Black, White, Red, or a Green fricken' pygmy. It's what you are doing that matters."

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am sorry that you guys believe that race does not play a role when pulled over by officers.

I don't think anyone here, has made any statement in that regard, or given any specific opinion either way Terence, except for the first post of yours. As an African American and a Police Captain, I could talk to you for hours about the personal feelings I have of this issue and the self burden of feeling caught in the middle as a LEO and a black man.

I could discuss with you Terence, about other factors I feel contribute to the sides of this issue, that you might not have even considered my friend. Like Social and Political Engineering, or Racism vs. Perceived Racism. But I digress. As this forum's rules are against this, which your initial post or maybe even this thread has unknowingly brought about.

While I feel this thread's intent was perfectly innocent and meant well, I can see where some may think the timing of it with current events would be objectionable.

Would a Moderator please close this thread... Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom