What's new

Tips for when you're pulled over while carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never use the word gun. Just hand him your CHL along with your DL and the just follow his instructions. He will know what to do.

Great advice in this thread. Tom Gresham mentioned this video on Gun Talk this morning.

Permits are not required where I live, and LEO's do not like it when a driver fails to volunteer he is carrying. Telling the officer, "[yes, I will comply...and] I am legally allowed to own and carry a firearm, and I am carrying" seems to be appreciated.

Once again I'm hugely grateful for the contributions our LEOs make in our little sub-forum here. Thanks Mike, Rob, Jack, and others!

As more folks are getting permits and carrying, interactions between officers and armed citizens will be on the increase, too; since we all want to go home at the end of the shift, this kind of info ought to be widespread.

I should mention that most of what I know (such as it is) about this topic came from a friend, who also happens to be a police officer, my first firearms trainer (the man can shoot) and, as it happens, my occasional FFL. (A nice combination!) Years later I found that Massad Ayoob video, which puts most of it succinctly.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not much to add here. All good advice. In my state you are required to inform the officer that you are carrying a concealed weapon. I tend to have a bit of a lead foot from time to time so have been pulled over for minor speeding infractions. My interactions with the police have always been professional and satisfactory with regards to CCW. I was once asked to exit my vehicle, "feel the paint'' (hands on the hood), disarmed and my weapon unloaded. At the conclusion of the stop, I received no ticket, my weapon returned to me and told to load it only after they had left. Most times, they don't even ask to see my weapon once I've informed them that I am carrying with a permit and provide that to them. Once our house alarm went off and the sheriff deputies arrived and asked to look around inside the house. I informed the first deputy that I was carrying and he in turn told the second deputy as he entered the house they did a brief look around to insure nothing was amiss and departed without even asking me to see the permit, but of course I was on my own property. When ever I am stopped, even if I get a well deserved ticket, which is very rare, I still thank them at the end for keeping us safe, which most seem to appreciate.

Last edited:
Me: Exits unit, approaches vehicle, checks trunk with hand, while leaving my fingerprints on vehicle trunk.

Driver: Already has vehicle shut off, dome light in cab on, license, insurance and weapons permit in left hand, while both hands are on the top of steering wheel.

The minute I take hold of these things, I have already seen the effort the driver has went, to make me safe, and in my hand, who they are, and that they legally have a gun, before our first words are ever spoken.

Don't you worry when a driver fidgets/squirms inside the car around after stopping (going to glove box for registration)?

I was almost shot when I was 17 after I flagged down a CHP cruiser to have them sign off on an equipment violation citation (how equipment violations were handled in Calif years ago....CHP sign off or court appearance). After he holster his revolver (it was a long time ago) he told me to NEVER reach around inside the car after stopping. Something I have remembered and practiced religiously since I am still breathing.

NOW. I hand over what I have in my wallet (DL/CCW) and inform the officer that registration and proof of insurance is in the glove box, saying that I wanted to wait until they were standing here before moving around inside the car. All officers I have interacted with during a stop have been appreciative of me doing this.

I would love to hear what other officers have to say about this?

In over 25 years I have made more traffic stops than I can truly remember. Most were uneventful. Some were not.
Waaaaay back when, in the state where I worked, it was completely legal to carry a fully loaded and charged weapon in your car (or other "private conveyance") without requiring a permit. Only restrictions were:
-Must be in a container with a lid or cover that requires opening (read center console or glove box..both fit that criterion)
And/or
-Must be snapped into a holster, gun case, or zippered container (handbag, knapsack, etc.)
-Must not be carried on or about your person

OK...this set of precepts goes back to the 70's. Needless to say we in the law enforcement community had a LOT of interraction with armed motorists over the years. The recent popularity of CCW permits really didn't change things all that much. Police always knew there was a better-than-average chance the person behind the wheel could be armed. So in reality, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Hands on the wheel, don't be fidgiting around in the car, be civil, let the officer know you are armed, and don't get cute.

The enhanced behaviors as to how one should act when stopped by the police are all fine I guess, but not a true necessity I believe. Of course opinions will vary, but I was on the other side of that car door many, many times and that is how I would have preferred how things went.

Courtesy and common sense should ultimately be your watchwords.

Add to these common sense ideas:

- roll down all the windows in the car (especially if a 4 door) so the officer can see in, especially at night. (goes with making sure dome light and map lights are on)

- if being pulled over on a busy, crowded road, pull over into a parking lot or onto a side road. Of course only if you can do it within a very short distance. You will likely be asked why you did so, my usual response is "Officer, traffic was crazy on that road, I wanted to make sure you were safe and not standing in traffic." This always elicits a surprised "Thank You" and a verbal "keep the speed down, ok?" instead of a ticket.

I get pulled over once or twice a year 'cause I have bit of a lead foot. In the last 6 or 7 years I've only received one ticket. And I deserved that one -- I was about 20 over. (I'm usually not that far over but it was the first nice summer day, I was driving a Mustang convertible and well, spring fever, etc. contributed to a little inattention..... )

Otherwise, Be Civil, Be Respectful, and it doesn't hurt to have a sense of humor.

It may vary by state but what are the odds of an officer disarming me after I tell them I have a legally concealed gun on my person?

What I mean is they ask me to step out, search me, retrieve the pistol, hold it while they run my info and decide to ticket me for say speeding or something, then hand it back to me when they're finished and we're on our separate ways.

I mean, I'd comply but I'd like to know the frequency of this happening and/or which states this could be a normal practice. Seems unecessary but I suppose it could happen.

It may vary by state but what are the odds of an officer disarming me after I tell them I have a legally concealed gun on my person?

What I mean is they ask me to step out, search me, retrieve the pistol, hold it while they run my info and decide to ticket me for say speeding or something, then hand it back to me when they're finished and we're on our separate ways.

I mean, I'd comply but I'd like to know the frequency of this happening and/or which states this could be a normal practice. Seems unecessary but I suppose it could happen.

Like anything else...I guess it could happen. Seems rather overreaching though. No matter, the handling and swapping possession of a handgun between people seems a tad sketchy from a safety perspective.

Could be worse. I recall a story or two (all anecdotally here) that advised if stopped by a Utah officer out in the middle of the desert or other remote location, I should expect to be handcuffed until the traffic stop has concluded. Well...I have never had any dealings with Utah police, in the desert or anywhere else. I have travelled a lot through the Beehive State though and to say much of it is desolate would be an understatement. I can see why a Trooper making a traffic stop 40 miles east of Wendover might be a bit edgy.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
All great comments here given a 'very sensitive' subject, but the one thing (demographics aside), must be adhered to is to 'obey' all reasonable commands & be respectful to our police forces (as civil servants, they have a very hard and dangerous job to preform).
attachment.php

[FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
"A police force is made up of amazing people...and I greatly respect them all". CBJ[/FONT]

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

When they first passed the carry law here it made some officers nervous, but now I think it would be very, very rare if you were asked to turn over your weapon (unless he's curious and says "What kind are you carrying, can I see it? I've got one of the new Wather's."). I'm not running up and down the streets shagging calls anymore, but it's not the people that are licensed that I'm worried about...it's the people that are not licensed that are carrying.

If that's the way he wants to handle it, then do what he asks. You don't know what the circumstances in the area are at that time. There could have just been an armed robbery, shooting, etc. that involved a car that may have looked a bit like yours. He knows more about what's going on than you do. Just humor him...you'll be just fine.

Not to derail the thread, but....

Who says cops don't have a sense of humor?

proxy.php

Keep your hands on the steering wheel, and as soon as the Officer gets up to your window, you let him or her know you have a CCW and are or are not carrying. After he tells you what to do as far as the weapon goes, then ASK if its ok to get your wallet out. Simple, and should help avoid any problems.

Good thread with excellent advice.

One more suggestion, if you are driving from one state to another KNOW the legal requirements in each state. An individual I know was visiting in FL and did not realize open carry in an auto in FL was prohibited. He was not in the best part of town and had a pistol in plain view in the front seat. The police were doing DUI stops of all cars and spotted the pistol on the front seat. He was arrested and later fined. It could have been a lot worse.

Another time a neighbor was driving from FL to NY. He said he had to change a tire in, I think, NJ. He told me his trunk was open with an unloaded revolver in plain view. I police officer stopped and approached him. When he saw the gun he asked if he had a license. He said yes, a FL CCP. He was given a warning and told that this was not permitted, i.e., there was no reciprocity and he needed a valid permit to have a gun in his auto.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Unfortunately, as a black man these are the steps I have to take whenever I interact with law enforcement.

Unfortunately, as a white man these are the steps I have to take whenever I interact with law enforcement.

It's a sad situation all around.

Unfortunately, as a black man these are the steps I have to take whenever I interact with law enforcement.

Notifying the Officer that your a CCW is required by law in my State, and although I've never looked it up, I'm pretty sure its the same in all States that have CCW laws. AFAIK, when your plate is run through the computer, it comes back as driver/owner is a CCW holder.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Me: Exits unit, approaches vehicle, checks trunk with hand, while leaving my fingerprints on vehicle trunk.

Driver: Already has vehicle shut off, dome light in cab on, license, insurance and weapons permit in left hand, while both hands are on the top of steering wheel.

The minute I take hold of these things, I have already seen the effort the driver has went, to make me safe, and in my hand, who they are, and that they legally have a gun, before our first words are ever spoken.

Plenty of time, for a driver, to do these things. (if they so desire) :)

Don't you worry when a driver fidgets/squirms inside the car around after stopping (going to glove box for registration)?

NOW. I hand over what I have in my wallet (DL/CCW) and inform the officer that registration and proof of insurance is in the glove box, saying that I wanted to wait until they were standing here before moving around inside the car. All officers I have interacted with during a stop have been appreciative of me doing this.

+1

I don't take out a single thing, though. I just roll my window down, turn my vehicle off, and wait for the officer to initiate anything. Every officer that I have spoken to about the matter say that they become far more nervous when they see the occupants of the vehicle in question moving or reaching around for any reason. If or when the officer asks me for my license and registration, I explain to them exactly where they are and ask if it's alright to retrieve the documents.

I've almost always had a friendly chat with any officer that has pulled me over or approached me for any reason. I'm a firm believer in the idea that if I respect the officer and their objective duty that they have, they will respect myself and my property in return. Like with any profession, there are some bad apples out there. But, I think that most violent encounters with law enforcement officers are situational and the result of multiple wrongdoings from either the officer, the suspect, or both..

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I was almost shot when I was 17 after I flagged down a CHP cruiser to have them sign off on an equipment violation citation (how equipment violations were handled in Calif years ago....CHP sign off or court appearance). After he holster his revolver (it was a long time ago) he told me to NEVER reach around inside the car after stopping. Something I have remembered and practiced religiously since I am still breathing.

+1

I don't take out a single thing, though. I just roll my window down, turn my vehicle off, and wait for the officer to initiate anything. Every officer that I have spoken to about the matter say that they become far more nervous when they see the occupants of the vehicle in question moving or reaching around for any reason. If or when the officer asks me for my license and registration, I explain to them exactly where they are and ask if it's alright to retrieve the documents.

I've almost always had a friendly chat with any officer that has pulled me over or approached me for any reason. I'm a firm believer in the idea that if I respect the officer and their objective duty that they have, they will respect myself and my property in return. Like with any profession, there are some bad apples out there. But, I think that most violent encounters with law enforcement officers are situational and the result of multiple wrongdoings from either the officer, the suspect, or both..

We work with what we get, but this would be ideal. It takes almost 3 minutes from calling in the stop, to lighting up the vehicle, getting them to pull over, calling out the location and actually exiting the cruiser and approaching the vehicle.

Plenty of time, for a driver, to do these things. (if they so desire) :)

A man can only kill you with his hands and feet. If they haven't exited the vehicle, I only have to watch their hands. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Terence, as a white man I follow those steps also.

Unfortunately, as a white man these are the steps I have to take whenever I interact with law enforcement.

It's a sad situation all around.

Fortunately, as a black police officer, I appreciate the extra effort from all of you guys. :)

shockeriknowrite?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom