What's new

Tips for Merkur Progress Noob

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!

Merkur Progress arrived; condition appears perfect; better looking in person, I love the weight and balance. A new Personna lab blue seems properly aligned; with the blade in, the razor “zeroes out” at 1.

Time for a test drive 😃😎

Attachments

• 3D9B4BA0-4E31-4552-A5A4-EDBDA5985EB9.jpeg
    3D9B4BA0-4E31-4552-A5A4-EDBDA5985EB9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Holy $#¥£!!

We’re talking love at first shave here! Wow!

First pass on 1; second & third passes on 1.5… d**n, this razor is glass smooth. Easy DFS+, and I can see this being a no-doubt BBS razor once I dial it in. I think settings 1.5 to 2 will be all I’ll need.

The balance is perfect. Very intuitive angle. The length works great for me- I rest the knob on my pinky, and let the weight of the razor do its job.

Color me converted!

Last edited:
Holy $#¥£!!

We’re talking love at first shave here! Wow!

First pass on 1; second & third passes on 1.5… d**n, this razor is glass smooth. Easy DFS+, and I can see this being a no-doubt BBS razor once I dial it in. I think settings 1.5 to 2 will be all I’ll need.

The balance is perfect. Very intuitive angle. The length works great for me- I rest the knob on my pinky, and let the weight of the razor do its job.

Color me converted!
Looks like you got it right :)

I don’t switch the dial between passes but try to find the optimum per blade. As I don’t mind the bladefeel I’m mostly at 4 and above with mild blades.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!

Merkur Progress arrived; condition appears perfect; better looking in person, I love the weight and balance. A new Personna lab blue seems properly aligned; with the blade in, the razor “zeroes out” at 1.

Time for a test drive 😃😎
Congratulations! After you shave with it for a week, or so, please give us a follow-up report and impressions.

The Progress is indeed a fantastic shaver. It is very efficient and comfortable and works well with pretty much any blade I pair it with. I usually start with setting 4 or 5 for the first pass and bring it down to 3 (sometimes 4, depending on the blade) for the next 2 passes. It is definitely one razor everyone must have. It looks great and shaves great. And it really is a vintage.

2.5 today, was still too much for me. I like my 33c a lot more so far, but I'll try 1.5 tomorrow. Daily shaver here.
Don't forget the correct procedure to set the dial:

Install the blade and tighten the adjustment to the right all the way down to total closure, and then adjust to the left, upwards to where you want it set. Otherwise you may be way off the desired setting.

Don't forget the correct procedure to set the dial:

Install the blade and tighten the adjustment to the right all the way down to total closure, and then adjust to the left, upwards to where you want it set. Otherwise you may be way off the desired setting.
Yeah, I have been doing that. It closes at the + for me. I think it's the weight compared to the 33c. I might be using too much pressure.

Mine zeroes at 1. I’ve been using it at 1.5 and 2, and getting great shaves! All DFS, most recently approaching BBS.

I did get some neck irritation the other day, but that was my fault. I got a bit cavalier blade buffing.

This razor can absolutely be a daily driver. I love it!

Last edited:
You've chosen well. The Merkur Progress is a phenomenal razor. Smooth as silk when dialled down, glorious when dialled up and ALWAYS efficient.

I've had mine nigh on a quarter of a century and it will never leave my den.

2.5 today, was still too much for me. I like my 33c a lot more so far, but I'll try 1.5 tomorrow. Daily shaver here.
I only use the Progress in the 3 to 5 range. Unlike some users who tend to change settings between passes, I don't do that with adjustables. With sharper blades I go to 3, with milder mostly @5. My preference is to use mild blades @5. Strictly 3 passes.

Comparing 33C to the Progress I can tell you the Progress even @1 is more aggressive than the 33C. Completely different razors. Don't be fooled by the fact both are Merkurs.

I only use the Progress in the 3 to 5 range. Unlike some users who tend to change settings between passes, I don't do that with adjustables. With sharper blades I go to 3, with milder mostly @5. My preference is to use mild blades @5. Strictly 3 passes.

Comparing 33C to the Progress I can tell you the Progress even @1 is more aggressive than the 33C. Completely different razors. Don't be fooled by the fact both are Merkurs.
Good point sir…. The first time I used the Progress I loaded with a new Feather and immediately turned to 5 and I quickly thought, “What have I run across here, a R41 on steroids?!?!.

Don’t forget to line up the triangle with the mark on the side when you change a blade or the alignment will be wrong.

Bought a Progress for myself at Christmas along with a TI straight razor. Never used a straight before. I used to use my dads old DE many many years ago so using the Progress wasn’t a surprise for me. I did get a bit of irritation though as with cartridge I would just do one pass. With the Progress I’ve been doing three which with back form I’m causing irritation. I have had about 6 shaves with it so far with the blade it came with. Just loaded up a Feather blade but not used it yet as tried the SR the last two days and need to let the cuts heal first! only two small nicks to be honest but I’m going to use the Progress and Feather tomorrow. Really glad I purchased it but think I will have to be more careful with the Feather blade.

Top Bottom