What's new

Timeless Master Kit

I went back to the .68 straight bar today and changed things up a little as far as my routine goes. I usually stick to a 2-pass shave, but decided to give the .68 a chance to see if I could get a real BBS shave with it. So I went for a full 3-pass shave today. I went back to the Timeless handle today and stuck with the Kai. The soap was my own Sudsy Soapery (so I could lather directly on the soap) and I used the Sudsy Soapery aftershave balm.

My conclusions thus far:

1) The .68 can give me a BBS shave. I have 2 big zits on the side of my face but they seemed to have survived the shave with the .68 as well. I suppose that must mean something.
2) I'm going to have to experiment a little with handles. I've liked my shaves with the Timeless handle, but the larger size still feels a little awkward in my hand.
3) Although it would be a little extravagant to buy a $50 razor stand, I really like it. I'll be torn if I order a handle from Timeless.
4) I like the look of the scalloped base better than the straight bar. I need to see if I can feel much of a difference between the scalloped and the straight - or at least enough of a difference that would make me choose to buy the straight bar over the scalloped.
5) Everyone should try the SS aftershave balm. My face was feeling a little stressed by the 3-pass shave, but the balm calmed it right down. The Twice Mint has a nice cooling effect. I stay away from balms because they typically feel oily/greasy on application - and this one does a little as well - but it quickly sinks into your skin and makes it feel great.

Bob,
I'm enjoying the reviews as you're doing a great job with them. I usually get a three pass shave with the .68 SB and a little touch up in one difficult area under my jawline. The comfort is what really gets me. It's exceptionally comfortable while still being very efficient.

With the heavier handles it does take some getting used to. For me it took a couple weeks and now there's no other handle I'd rather use with the razor. The Timeless handles balance the heavy razor head perfectly. Still it is an adjustment.

I do agree with you on the Sudsy Soapery balm as the stuff is exceptional. It really moisturizes like no other I've tried. I'm a balm guy as I see more benefits with a balm than I do by splashing something that's mostly alcohol on my face. I've tried a lot of them and this is one of, if not the very best one, I've encountered so far.

I have to admit that I'm a little bummed after today's shave.

I decided that today would be a good day to see whether I could feel the difference between the scalloped base and the straight base. I split my passes so that I shaved both sides of my face with both bases (Left WTG - Straight, Right WTG - Scalloped, Left XTG - Scalloped, Right XTG - Straight).

And the result is: I could definitely feel a difference between the two bases. I was hoping that this wouldn't be the case so that I could just buy the scalloped base. But now I have to think about it some more. I guess I have to try it again and/or just shave with the scalloped base some more to see if it irritates my face at all.

Oh yeah - I'm still using the Kai blade I started with on Monday and shaved with B&M Petrichor today. AS was Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm. I found a bottle of it today in the back of my son's cabinet and thought I'd see if I still liked it.

A great thread to follow. Sorry for the minor hijack, but I'm working out how and whether to get a timeless to me in Rwanda. Before I do so, does anyone have both a timeless and R41 and do you find the stubble grows back noticeably quicker with the timeless? My new piccolo is just amazing but the downside is the stubble comes back after 6 not 10+ hours compared to my R41. Not sure it can be a daily driver therefore!

I've used both, although not back to back. I would say the R41 is slightly more aggressive than the .95 timeless, however the timeless is MUCH smoother/gentler to the face. The Timeless is more aggressive than the Piccolo, if that helps.

With the same number of passes, if the R41 gives you 10 hours and the Piccolo 6, the Timeless .95 will probably give you 9 or maybe even 9.5.

The big difference will be the feel of the razor. Both are well balanced, but the R41 is on the light end of metal razors where the Timeless is on the heavy end. And the Timeless is much less harsh. The R41 gives a great shave but demands all of your attention. The Timeless is more forgiving. :)

I've used both, although not back to back. I would say the R41 is slightly more aggressive than the .95 timeless, however the timeless is MUCH smoother/gentler to the face. The Timeless is more aggressive than the Piccolo, if that helps.

With the same number of passes, if the R41 gives you 10 hours and the Piccolo 6, the Timeless .95 will probably give you 9 or maybe even 9.5.

The big difference will be the feel of the razor. Both are well balanced, but the R41 is on the light end of metal razors where the Timeless is on the heavy end. And the Timeless is much less harsh. The R41 gives a great shave but demands all of your attention. The Timeless is more forgiving. :)
Well that was a costly reply! Now to sort the logistics of getting it to central Africa! Thanks @tclobaugh

Another head to head (or base to base) competition today. I used the opposite sides of my face for the 4 half-passes and the difference between the scalloped base and the straight base was less pronounced.

But I think that I can safely say that the straight base gives me the smoothest shave - not that that is a surprise. I guess that if I'm to buy a Timeless I should first go for the best tool for me - a straight bar.

Today's shave was with Henri et Victoria La Poire Francaise and Pitralon Pure. The H&V is a sample I'm working my way through. It's a pretty good soap with a heavenly scent.

I have to admit that I'm a little bummed after today's shave.

I decided that today would be a good day to see whether I could feel the difference between the scalloped base and the straight base. I split my passes so that I shaved both sides of my face with both bases (Left WTG - Straight, Right WTG - Scalloped, Left XTG - Scalloped, Right XTG - Straight).

And the result is: I could definitely feel a difference between the two bases. I was hoping that this wouldn't be the case so that I could just buy the scalloped base. But now I have to think about it some more. I guess I have to try it again and/or just shave with the scalloped base some more to see if it irritates my face at all.

Oh yeah - I'm still using the Kai blade I started with on Monday and shaved with B&M Petrichor today. AS was Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm. I found a bottle of it today in the back of my son's cabinet and thought I'd see if I still liked it.

I did the same thing but I did a side by side with the scalloped on one side and the sb on the other. Both in .68. The differences were minor but the sb was slightly smoother. I could easily use either one regularly and be thrilled with my choice. Honestly if you really like the scalloped it's not that much of a difference between them. You're trading a slight bit of comfort for just a little more feedback. The difference is so close that for me I'm not sure I'd notice it without doing the side my side.

I did the same thing but I did a side by side with the scalloped on one side and the sb on the other. Both in .68. The differences were minor but the sb was slightly smoother. I could easily use either one regularly and be thrilled with my choice. Honestly if you really like the scalloped it's not that much of a difference between them. You're trading a slight bit of comfort for just a little more feedback. The difference is so close that for me I'm not sure I'd notice it without doing the side my side.
You're probably right, but I've been shaving with the scalloped the past two days and now I'm hyper sensitive to feeling the razor. (Probably a little unfair since I'm working with the same Kai blade.)

You're probably right, but I've been shaving with the scalloped the past two days and now I'm hyper sensitive to feeling the razor. (Probably a little unfair since I'm working with the same Kai blade.)

A lot of it might be you just getting used to it. I know that I got a lot better with it after a couple weeks of use.

A lot of it might be you just getting used to it. I know that I got a lot better with it after a couple weeks of use.
It doesn't feel bad at all - it's just my own internal quibbling. If I feel something in the slightest I think "I probably wouldn't have felt that if I was using the SB."

I know this is a little off topic. I understand how the aggressiveness works however I have seen charts that make it somewhat easier to understand. You two I am sure can help... I have an EJ 89 and a '60 Fatboy adjustable and based on shaving at 9 it looks like even the more aggressive Timeless razor compares to the EJ in aggressiveness. Is that the case? What chart would show the comparisons? I am just being curious.

I know this is a little off topic. I understand how the aggressiveness works however I have seen charts that make it somewhat easier to understand. You two I am sure can help... I have an EJ 89 and a '60 Fatboy adjustable and based on shaving at 9 it looks like even the more aggressive Timeless razor compares to the EJ in aggressiveness. Is that the case? What chart would show the comparisons? I am just being curious.

So putting it into perspective imagine a razor (Timeless .68 version) that's smoother than your EJ and cuts much better than the Fatboy on 9. So extremely efficient while still being exceptionally comfortable. If you like really aggressive razors (like the R41 or ATT H1 for example) you might prefer the .95 version. I like a really close shave but I don't want any irritation in getting it.

Usually you have to trade off some closeness to get a comfortable shave. With this razor, the Sudsy Soapery soap that's in the box, and a nice sharp blade, I feel like I could do ten passes with no irritation whatsoever.

So putting it into perspective imagine a razor (Timeless .68 version) that's smoother than your EJ and cuts much better than the Fatboy on 9. So extremely efficient while still being exceptionally comfortable. If you like really aggressive razors (like the R41 or ATT H1 for example) you might prefer the .95 version. I like a really close shave but I don't want any irritation in getting it.

Usually you have to trade off some closeness to get a comfortable shave. With this razor, the Sudsy Soapery soap that's in the box, and a nice sharp blade, I feel like I could do ten passes with no irritation whatsoever.

The crazy part is with a Fatboy on 9 with a 7 o'clock I don't have any irritation with proper form and lather. I look forward to trying these one day...:001_302:

does anyone have a chart for the most aggressive old and new razors? I love how aggressive the Fat Boy is on 9, if there is more aggressive I am curious to try them. Charts just make it easy to pick.

Last edited:
does anyone have a chart for the most aggressive old and new razors? I love how aggressive the Fat Boy is on 9, if there is more aggressive I am curious to try them. Charts just make it easy to pick.

Yeah, there are definitely more aggressive razors out there.

I remember someone did an aggressiveness chart though I can't tell you where it's located. They did a nice job with it so you'll likely enjoy it when you find it. As far as really aggressive razors go the R41 is likely one of the most aggressive. The ATT H series razors are also way up there.

There's an Ikon one that some people keep recommending though. With Ikon I've read that if you get a good one then you'll really like it. If you get a not straight one they you'll likely have to fight to get it replaced as they have a reputation as being difficult in this area. So you'll find some people that love them and others that are quite angry and will never buy from them again. I bought a reject El Jefe razor head from them as it was like $25 so I figured why not. If nothing else it'll make a good travel razor. The pins that hold the blade are a little undersized so you have to tighten it down while keeping the blade in the proper location. I knew that going into it. Once you figure how to work with it then it's a great razor.

Yeah, there are definitely more aggressive razors out there.

I remember someone did an aggressiveness chart though I can't tell you where it's located. They did a nice job with it so you'll likely enjoy it when you find it. As far as really aggressive razors go the R41 is likely one of the most aggressive. The ATT H series razors are also way up there.

There's an Ikon one that some people keep recommending though. With Ikon I've read that if you get a good one then you'll really like it. If you get a not straight one they you'll likely have to fight to get it replaced as they have a reputation as being difficult in this area. So you'll find some people that love them and others that are quite angry and will never buy from them again. I bought a reject El Jefe razor head from them as it was like $25 so I figured why not. If nothing else it'll make a good travel razor. The pins that hold the blade are a little undersized so you have to tighten it down while keeping the blade in the proper location. I knew that going into it. Once you figure how to work with it then it's a great razor.

Looking like Merkur Futur ranks high, what are you thoughts on that? Have you ever used one?

Looking like Merkur Futur ranks high, what are you thoughts on that? Have you ever used one?

My thoughts on the Futur. I don't own one nor have I tried one. The main reason for this is it's a Zamak razor that's fairly expensive. If I'm going to spend almost $70 on a razor it's not going to be made of Zamak. Not buying Zamak is a choice I made after seeing several users razors crumble once the finish was compromised (including a Futur). I have had the Zamak debate in the past several times and while there are some older razors made of Zamak (that have lasted decades) I'm not expecting than to happen with anything newly produced. So please don't tell me that the newer stuff is the same as it's not. At least not in the disposable society we live in now. The mix ratio of metals they are using now is not the same.

For me, bang for the buck, I'd rather add another $29 and pick up the Rockwell stainless steel set since I know that one will last a lifetime. You can also find a used ATT stainless steel razor for around $125 fairly easily which will also last your lifetime. I also don't care for the slick handle as I could see myself having some difficulty in holding it while using a very slick soap. If money isn't a problem then consider picking up a Timeless razor.

So that's the negative part, onto the positive now. I do know that some people here have them and really enjoy them. So while it wouldn't be my choice you'll likely get some positive comments on the razor as well.

My thoughts on the Futur. I don't own one nor have I tried one. The main reason for this is it's a Zamak razor that's fairly expensive. If I'm going to spend almost $70 on a razor it's not going to be made of Zamak. Not buying Zamak is a choice I made after seeing several users razors crumble once the finish was compromised (including a Futur). I have had the Zamak debate in the past several times and while there are some older razors made of Zamak (that have lasted decades) I'm not expecting than to happen with anything newly produced. So please don't tell me that the newer stuff is the same as it's not. At least not in the disposable society we live in now. The mix ratio of metals they are using now is not the same.

For me, bang for the buck, I'd rather add another $29 and pick up the Rockwell stainless steel set since I know that one will last a lifetime. You can also find a used ATT stainless steel razor for around $125 fairly easily which will also last your lifetime. I also don't care for the slick handle as I could see myself having some difficulty in holding it while using a very slick soap. If money isn't a problem then consider picking up a Timeless razor.

So that's the negative part, onto the positive now. I do know that some people here have them and really enjoy them. So while it wouldn't be my choice you'll likely get some positive comments on the razor as well.

Thanks so much! I started on EJ 89 and I too fear Zamak. ATT or R41 2010 may make it. I do think Timeless has a shot but, we shall see. I do love my Fat Boy but, I believe my RAD has set in now that I have most of my soaps set for a while.

Thanks so much! I started on EJ 89 and I too fear Zamak. ATT or R41 2010 may make it. I do think Timeless has a shot but, we shall see. I do love my Fat Boy but, I believe my RAD has set in now that I have most of my soaps set for a while.

The R41 is also Zamak. So the guys that really love that razor sometimes buy multiple heads and put them aside. The reason I don't own a Futur is the same reason I don't own an R41.

Be patient and try the Timeless.

Top Bottom