What's new

Timeless Master Kit

So I get my annual bonus on Friday and I think I'm going to spoil myself. So question if my favorite DE currently is the Muhle r41 I assume I should go for the .95. but what are the differences between the 3 head types?

I'm a fan of the R41 as well and I think you are right about going for the 95. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the head types.

Have you tried OC razors at all? SB? R41 is a scalloped, so I know you've tried that (I don't really understand the scalloped or the grooves top cap - can someone explain the theory behind these, or is it purely aesthetic?)

I've always been an OC fan and using the ATT H1 & H2 really confirmed that I prefer OC (I've always wondered since it could just be that I like razors that happened to be OC)

I'm a fan of the R41 as well and I think you are right about going for the 95. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the head types.

Have you tried OC razors at all? SB? R41 is a scalloped, so I know you've tried that (I don't really understand the scalloped or the grooves top cap - can someone explain the theory behind these, or is it purely aesthetic?)

I've always been an OC fan and using the ATT H1 & H2 really confirmed that I prefer OC (I've always wondered since it could just be that I like razors that happened to be OC)

The theory behind the top cap is that the scalloped leaves a little soap behind to protect the skin (while buffing). I dont know if it makes a difference. For me its just plain beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shared my thoughts with you in that thread but I have no problem at all with those type of discussions being in this thread. I think it's good information to have here as well since it would be helpful to others considering one of these razors.

I tried the .68 scalloped next. Otherwise same setup as the .95 OC shave. I used a much better soap this time, however (Fine) and so I expected a smoother shave that the .95.

The result? A very nice shave. Razor feels great in the hand and was incredibly smooth. But in comparison to the .95 OC, I preferred the .95 OC (even using a better soap). Call me crazy but I found the .95 to be a smoother shave, and it gave me a closer shave after 2 passes. Maybe it's the OC that I'm preferring, or just that I'm used to an aggressive razor. I'll do some more tests and will use the same soap to remove that variable from the equation, but for me, at this point, the choice is easy - .95 OC. (I had a similar experience with ATT. I chose the H plates over the R and chose the OC over the SB. I currently own a H1 and H2)

More tests to come - stay tuned...

Graydog

Biblical Innards
This Morning was My 5th shave , I used a Feather in Her today.
So the set up was .
Timeless 0.95 OC with Scalloped top cap
Feather Blade -new
Soap Commander - Purpose soap
Thayers witch hazel
Soap Commander - After Shave Balm- Purpose
Graydog #1 (2 band badger) Brush

The Result was OUTSTANDING Again, I could have stopped at 2 passes
but I could not stop it was that nice !
The Shave She gives Me on My neck are by far the best that I ever have had with No Effort
BTBBS----------- All I can say is That The Timeless is The Best Razor That I have Ever used
and I have used over 100 or so Razors.
They Sure Know How to Make a Great Razor at Timeless !

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have not been a big Fan of Feather , They play well with some razors and not so well with others
My Gillette Deluxe NEWs do not like them.
Mark from Timeless suggested the Feather , and I was really surprised at how well it work with The Timeless.
So I have tried 2 different blades , The Med Prep and the Feather.
Both worked great.
So today I think that I'm going to try a Voskhod ,I will post back latter.

I have not been a big Fan of Feather , They play well with some razors and not so well with others
My Gillette Deluxe NEWs do not like them.
Mark from Timeless suggested the Feather , and I was really surprised at how well it work with The Timeless.
So I have tried 2 different blades , The Med Prep and the Feather.
Both worked great.
So today I think that I'm going to try a Voskhod ,I will post back latter.

Feather is what I used in the .95 OC and found it to be awesome as well. I prefer Feather in my ATT and R41, but there are some razors it doesn't do as well in. I usually start with Feather, and then try an Astra, because it works well with ANYTHING. I may have to try a different blade during my short time just to see the difference.

Today I gave the .68 SB a go with the smooth cap. In short - it shaved almost exactly the same as the scalloped head, except with a little less feedback. (I'm glad David mentioned this, as I'm not sure I would have been watching for the level of feedback otherwise). I used Pure2O for my soap and a Fresh feather blade.

This confirms for me that the .95 is the choice for me.

I plan to go back and shave with the .95 OC again with the smooth cap to see if I notice a difference, and I plan to use a non-sample soap from my regular rotation. I will then try my ATT H2, so I can compare them back to back. (I may even get crazy and do one side of my face with one and one side with the other :))

Well I was going to get the ikon b1 oss, up until I found out about this timeless holy grail of a razor everyone is talking about. I just heard of the company yesterday and after all the positive reviews and customer service I caved. I hope i dont I regret it :)

Here's what I got, thanks y'all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170312-210214.png
    Screenshot_20170312-210214.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 55
Well I was going to get the ikon b1 oss, up until I found out about this timeless holy grail of a razor everyone is talking about. I just heard of the company yesterday and after all the positive reviews and customer service I caved. I hope i dont I regret it :)

Here's what I got, thanks y'all

I think you will be very pleased

Running late again.

Today shaved again with the scalloped plate. I decided to shave one more time with it and with the OC using one of my fave soaps that I know well and performs awesome - Sudsy Soapery almond and vanilla (version 1 in the small tin for those who care about such things )

The shave was great - I went three passes this time to really see what it could do and it was really nice. I look forward to comparing it to the OC which I will use tomorrow with the same soap and setup

Last review:

Today is my final shave with the Timeless kit. I decided to finish with the .95 OC using Sudsy Soapery so I could do a back to back comparison of the scalloped and OC plate using a soap I know very well and which performs great. This shave will be slightly at a disadvantage as it will be the 3rd shave on a Feather as opposed to the 2nd shave for the scalloped. Shouldn't make much a difference. I find the 2nd shave on a Feather is usually the best, with the 3rd being slightly behind it, then the 1st, and then the 4th which is usually as far as I will go before changing. Sometimes I stop after 3. But I digress :)

This shave proved to me, without a shadow of a doubt, that the .95 OC is the plate for me. The shave was closer, and slightly more comfortable for me that the scalloped was, even though it is a more aggressive plate. I expected the closer part, but the smoothness surprised me a little. I wish I could try the .95 scalloped and the .68 OC, because it's not clear to me if it's the aggressiveness or the OC that is what I'm preferring here. I'm guessing that it's the aggressiveness as I've done a similar experiment with the ATT plates, and found I prefer the H1 to the R2. To be fair, the shaves were very close in comparison, and I'm really just splitting hairs, but isn't that was this is all about. :)

Now the final test for me will come with my next shave when I return to my ATT H2. I left the .95 OC plate shave #2 for last as I also wanted to do a direct comparison of it against my ATT H2. My guess is that I will find the shaves pretty even or close enough that it wouldn't make sense to me to own both razors, or to replace the ATT with the Timeless.

If I were in the market for one or the other, assuming that the shaves are equal (which I think they will be), then it would be a tough choice to make as these are both top notch razors that cost about the same and shave about the same, with similar plate options. The aesthetic is the big difference between the two, and that is certainly a personal matter. Needless to say - anyone would be very well server by the Timeless, and I would have no problem recommending it to anyone.

Thanks again David for sharing this for me to try. Very generous of you, as always

Now the final test for me will come with my next shave when I return to my ATT H2. I left the .95 OC plate shave #2 for last as I also wanted to do a direct comparison of it against my ATT H2. My guess is that I will find the shaves pretty even or close enough that it wouldn't make sense to me to own both razors, or to replace the ATT with the Timeless.

Is the ATT your "go-to" razor?

Yes. With the H2 plate. This is a somewhat recent change- before that I used an R41 as my daily driver.
Thanks. I've not used an ATT but can get an idea of your relative feelings about the Timeless by knowing that it's equivalent to your favorite razor.

Top Bottom