What's new

Timeless Bronze. I couldn't resist.

All those beautiful pics of the the Timeless finally got to me. Had to have one.
It arrived last night, and I was ready for it.
Bronze.jpg

Comes in a nice presentation box with a small microfiber cloth for polishing.
My first impressions: the size and heft is substantial, but not weird, out of balance, or "too much" in any way. It fits in my hand nice, and the balance is good. This thing is a work of art, and machined quite nicely. Everything fits together perfectly, and the handle threads on as smooth as butter. There's absolutely no slop anywhere. It's quite obvious that somebody did their homework before they started cutting razors out of blocks of metal.

The baseplate supports the blade all the way across (i.e. no gaps in the support) and matches (or comes very close, to my eye) the top cap, where it holds the blade behind the cutting edge, giving a very rigidly held blade. This is something I personally prefer, and one of the big reasons that Timeless was a contender for me.

I've only used it once, so I am not ready to make any big proclamations or anything, but it was a very nice shave. Something I had asked about in other threads was how it compared to a Tech, as the way the head looks on the Bronze makes me think it would be kind of similar. It is kind of similar, and not an unfair comparison, but the weight and construction of the Bronze lends itself to more efficient shave, I'd say. (For the record, I really like Techs.)

So last night for the first run, I had 48 hours of growth (thick hair, dense growth pattern) to be shaved. Showered, lathered with the L&L, and did WTG and XTG passes (this represents the most common usage for me). I had a satisfactory DFS (again, this is representative of what I strive for and get from my usual shaves). There was no irritation in the usual difficult spots. As I write this, approx 14 hours later, my throat is absolutely irritation- and blemish-free, which is not always the case. Sunday-Thursday nights I shave every 24 hours, and towards the end of the week I'll start noticing some hot-spots if I've been too aggressive, so I'm going to be paying attention to that.

Overall, quite pleased with the performance.
I will only use this razor for a while to see how I can dial it in, and really get to know it. I'll periodically update this thread with my on-going opinion.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Neat, I find the Timeless Bronze both very mild like a Tech and also very efficient like a Tech.

Neat, I find the Timeless Bronze both very mild like a Tech and also very efficient like a Tech.

If I use an aggressive razor, I get a nice smooth shave without needing too many passes, but then I seem to get more ingrown hairs on my throat. If I use a milder razor and settle for a "good" shave, rather than a BBS shave, then I suffer far less issues. This is why I like Techs, they get me where I want to be without the aggression. As I said, I'll stick with just using the Bronze for a while, until I'm past the "honeymoon" period with it and see where the differences really lie. My very first impression is favorable, and there is not even a tinge of regret with the purchase, so that's good. I've read a few reviews where some gents just found the bronze to be too mild, in the end, and not worth the relative expense. We'll see. I don't mind paying for high quality and good materials.

Beautiful razor and a big congrats you’ve been wanting one since their release. Did you talk to Matt at Timeless or just order through the website? Reason why I ask is if you did talk to him did he give you any news on a more efficient baseplate? I’ve also wanted one since their release but I have a tough beard and I prefer a little more efficient razor. I will get one as soon as I know they will come out with the baseplate. I’d still use the .38 though for those 1 day beard growth shaves.

Keep us posted on how the shaves are going.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
First time I've seen one. I hear decent things about them around here but it doesn't look like a beauty to me.

Thanks, Mike, Chris, Mac.

@Dragonsbeard , thanks. I had been laboring over the decision of which of the high-end razors to try, and when this one came along, it appealed to me in a big way. I had been fairly confident that I was going to go with a Timeless at the end of it all. I just ordered directly from the web store, didn't talk with Matt. If a more aggressive plate comes up, I'd probably consider picking it up. I'm definitely thinking that this will be my go-to for 1 day growth, as it felt really good using it on areas that don't appreciate the aggression too often.
For the times when I do want more aggression, I've lately come to appreciate slants. I've had the good fortune to try a couple of really nice ones lately, and I am sure it won't be long before something shows up in the supply closet.

@Toothpick , I think the regular stainless razors that Timeless offers are "prettier", but the industrial look and future patina of this one appealed to me. I like the tooling marks, too. And more important than anything else is how it performs, that's my bottom line. Hey, if we all liked the same thing, then it would get pretty boring around here, right?

Congrats. The price point is a little more manageable than the stainless. It’s kind of an entry level high end modern production razor, and kind of unique for that. Hopefully will serve you well for years to come.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
@Toothpick , I think the regular stainless razors that Timeless offers are "prettier", but the industrial look and future patina of this one appealed to me. I like the tooling marks, too. And more important than anything else is how it performs, that's my bottom line. Hey, if we all liked the same thing, then it would get pretty boring around here, right?

Indeed. What puts me off is the middle part. How it's thinner. And coupled with the swirl tooling on the handle and the head make it look to flashy for me. Just a solid knurled handle and smooth head would make it a beauty in my book.

The shave is what matters most though.

Thanks, Mike, Chris, Mac.

@Dragonsbeard , thanks. I had been laboring over the decision of which of the high-end razors to try, and when this one came along, it appealed to me in a big way. I had been fairly confident that I was going to go with a Timeless at the end of it all. I just ordered directly from the web store, didn't talk with Matt. If a more aggressive plate comes up, I'd probably consider picking it up. I'm definitely thinking that this will be my go-to for 1 day growth, as it felt really good using it on areas that don't appreciate the aggression too often.
For the times when I do want more aggression, I've lately come to appreciate slants. I've had the good fortune to try a couple of really nice ones lately, and I am sure it won't be long before something shows up in the supply closet.

Well said and I have a feeling I know which Slant will find it’s way to your den.. and it starts with an F
Again Cingrats!

OK, guys...you forced my hand. I have this thing for "Bronze" anything. So when the Timeless popped onto the scene, I resisted while the pathfinders bought theirs and provided their reports. I am a fan of aggressive razors, given that my grey whiskers could pass for a wire shop brush. But I thought I would go for it anyway.
First shave dovetailed to what the majority have spoken. Very Smooth, efficient, and gave a good shave. Not a great one though. Second day shave was pretty much the same.
So for day three, I pulled a trick that I have used on other mild razors...the shim. I added a shim under the blade and... SHAZAMM, It turned the mild lawn trimmer into a full throated brush-hog. Still very smooth, but that extra three thousandths, made all the difference. Baby smooth skin, even hours later.
Win-Win...stunning looks and perfect performance.
It doesn't get better than that.

Humbly

Al in Colorado.

I need to try the shim trick. I love the look of my bronze but it's far to mild for me to get a good shave with. I put my stainless .95 Timeless plate on the bronze when I want to use it.

Timeless is such a good company all the way around. From the razors to the service, it really just doesn’t get any better.

Just a quick bit of an update:

Used the Bronze every day since I got it last week, except for Saturday, I used a Slim. I've taken no days "off" which is fairly unusual for me. One morning I noticed a little spot of irritation, put a little AV 5-in-1 balm on it, and it was gone by the time I got home from work. Absolutely no other irritation, no ingrowns, and I feel like I get a pretty solid CCS-DFS every night.
One thing I've noticed, and it's consistent every day, is that I'm noticing stubble much earlier in the day than I usually do. I've tried 3 different blades and that doesn't seem to influence it one way or the other. This isn't really an issue for me, but I can see where the guys with fast-growing beards may find this to be less than desirable.

I've used a Polsilver (my top blade), a Rapira (I like these well enough, but nothing special), and a Nacet (these tend to feel harsh to me, but I like them as a test blade). All three gave me the same result, which I wonder if that is a byproduct of the way the Timeless holds the blade? I'm going to try a couple of others over the next week, just to get a broader sense of it all.

So far, I'm still rating this as a positive experience. Tentatively speaking, I think I would recommend this razor as both a good "starter" razor (if cost is not prohibitive), and a good razor for an experienced user that just wants a high-quality non-aggressive razor for day-in and day-out use.

Unfortunately, this has made me more interested in Timeless' other offerings. :a52:

Top Bottom