What's new

Ti Slim vs Ti Blackbird?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That is really helpful! Thank you David! I’ll need to try a steeper angle with my Slim plate next time I use it. I’m not sold on the Timeless being in its forever home just yet. Incredibly well designed razor that deserves a forever home, I just don’t know if that’s with me or someone else yet. 🤷‍♂️
The Slim is a great razor and resides in my Big Dogs Category. However, the Ti Blackbird is my Alpha Big Dog DE Razor.

Polishing is just difficult to control precisely. It's always a balance between dimensional accuracy and mirror finish. And polishing titanium is particularly a pain.
I know absolutely nothing about machine work. I’m just guessing here….but I’m assuming that’s why a lot of other brand’s razor handles are extremely plain polished metal around the bottom, without even knurling? I’m absolutely not advocating that. I’m just curious. I had noticed the trend but otherwise gave it little thought. I really love the Blackbird handle design, aesthetically and functionally.

I had a Ti Slim and have a stainless Blackbird. I am one of the few on this forum that doesn’t care for Timeless razors. They are very well made and quite the lookers but that’s where it ends with me. I just don’t get efficient shaves with them. The Slim was ok but didn’t shave anywhere near as close as my Blackbird.

I’ve owned about every configuration of Timeless razor and while they are smooth they just don’t quite cut it in the efficiency category. Love my Blackbird though….super close comfortable shaves.

Not a huge Ti fan due to lack of heft but I would choose the Ti Bird any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the Slim.

I had a Ti Slim and have a stainless Blackbird. I am one of the few on this forum that doesn’t care for Timeless razors. They are very well made and quite the lookers but that’s where it ends with me. I just don’t get efficient shaves with them. The Slim was ok but didn’t shave anywhere near as close as my Blackbird.

I’ve owned about every configuration of Timeless razor and while they are smooth they just don’t quite cut it in the efficiency category. Love my Blackbird though….super close comfortable shaves.

Not a huge Ti fan due to lack of heft but I would choose the Ti Bird any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the

Not a huge Ti fan due to lack of heft but I would choose the Ti Bird any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the Slim.
I am having the same experience with the Slim SB. It’s just not close enough. I do like the .95 OC quite a lot. Love the Blackbird. Now the Slim OC? That’s an efficient beast, at least for me. But I haven’t tamed it. Sometimes it’s super super close and smooth. Sometimes it’s extremely close and very harsh.

I give a slight edge to the Timeless Ti Slim SB. I use the Slim and the Ti Bird for most of my shaves these days, along with the Carbon Cx Ti 0.68 web. For me, the Slim is slightly smoother and slightly more efficient. I can get a BBS shave in two passes with the Slim, with no irritation, using no pressure. A remarkable razor. Given the love here for the Ti Bird, however, I suspect that (a) my technique is not quite there yet with the Bird and (b) my preference might change over time.

I give a slight edge to the Timeless Ti Slim SB. I use the Slim and the Ti Bird for most of my shaves these days, along with the Carbon Cx Ti 0.68 web. For me, the Slim is slightly smoother and slightly more efficient. I can get a BBS shave in two passes with the Slim, with no irritation, using no pressure. A remarkable razor. Given the love here for the Ti Bird, however, I suspect that (a) my technique is not quite there yet with the Bird and (b) my preference might change over time.
Fascinating! Can I ask what is your preferred blade in the Slim?

Lord Platinum and Bic Chrome.

Both razors are great razors, both are in my top 3.
And how do you feel about the Carbon Ti? Granted it’s not as efficient as the Slim and Bird, you do get a lot more control over angles to shave with from the blade and it literally sings when cutting through whiskers. Just curious because of the 3 razors named here I have the BB as the most efficient, Slim as middle ground, and Carbon .68 as the most fun to shave with.

Granted, i am waiting on my Yates 921H Ti which I think will be similar to the BB but allow for a little more playing with angles than the bird for different results.

Great question! The Carbon Ti is relatively new to me, but I am gravitating to it for more and more of my shaves. It is light, has some blade feel, but feels very safe and minimalistic, meaning you always know where the blade is and I never feel any trepidation about pressing harder or softer or using different angles. It also sings, like you say, so that you always know when you’re done with a certain spot or need to go over it again. I agree with you that it is the most fun to use. I also have the + and ++ plates, so can increase the efficiency as needed. Right now, I’d say I am using the Carbon Ti original plate and ++ plates the most (sometimes in the same shave with the original plate on the first pass and then the ++ plate - I have two Carbon Ti razors for this) and would rate it same as you - the most fun to shave with and plenty efficient enough for me - and then the Slim as the most efficient with smoothness as well, and then the BB as efficient + safe feeling shave.

Thanks for sharing about your experience with me! Time will tell but I think I may be headed down a similar path. Build quality is great on the Timeless I just don’t know if I’ll have it forever! YMMV rings so true at times!

Thank you for sharing about your experience with me! Really appreciate it!

This thread was intriguing enough I’m going to get the Slim Ti polished and compare.
You won’t regret it!, phenomenal razor. Different shaving experience than the Ti Bird, but more carefree and predictable than the Ti Bird for me. Also shaves very similar to my Ti Carbon + razor. only downside I found with the Ti Slim Sb is that it has a very narrow range in angle, but once found it cuts effectively. i like it alot!

I haven't used the Slim version, but I didn't like the standard TI .95 SB version. Shaving WTG was good, but I did get lots of weepers and irritation when shaving ATG and XTG, which rarely happens to me. Imo, the razor was very well made, but it wasn't very intuitive and safe when shaving ATG and XTG and you get punished for the smallest mistake. For a such expensive razor it was quite disappointing and thank God it was given to me for a test instead of buying it.

I don't have the TI Blackbird, but the stainless one is a very good razor. What I like about it is that it's very efficient and almost impossible to get any nicks, cuts or irritation. What I don't like about it is that it feels a little rough and unrefined and the blade flex like crazy if I my angle isn't 100% right.

Top Bottom