What's new

Ti Slim vs Ti Blackbird?

You won’t regret it!, phenomenal razor. Different shaving experience than the Ti Bird, but more carefree and predictable than the Ti Bird for me. Also shaves very similar to my Ti Carbon + razor. only downside I found with the Ti Slim Sb is that it has a very narrow range in angle, but once found it cuts effectively. i like it alot!
Thank you Marius! I am actually playing with the ++ and original Carbon plates the last few weeks. Only question, is it as blade forward as the original .68 Carbon or is it more like to + plate in blade exposure? I can throw the + plate in next week when I’m back.

I haven't used the Slim version, but I didn't like the standard TI .95 SB version. Shaving WTG was good, but I did get lots of weepers and irritation when shaving ATG and XTG, which rarely happens to me. Imo, the razor was very well made, but it wasn't very intuitive and safe when shaving ATG and XTG and you get punished for the smallest mistake. For a such expensive razor it was quite disappointing and thank God it was given to me for a test instead of buying it.

I don't have the TI Blackbird, but the stainless one is a very good razor. What I like about it is that it's very efficient and almost impossible to get any nicks, cuts or irritation. What I don't like about it is that it feels a little rough and unrefined and the blade flex like crazy if I my angle isn't 100% right.
100% understand, I have owned several Ti Birds, a long handle SS and a short Brassbird. Really do enjoy the blackbird on the right day, it’s even a bit too efficient unless I’m going for a shave every 2 days.

I just know the crown handle is one of my favorites (along with the carbon R2) so I figured why not..

First shave today, wasn’t smooth and comfortable. Will need to dial in angle and blade preference for a little while before reporting back again.
Don't know if you have Wizamet blades, but I find them to work well in the Slim. Just wish the razor was a little more efficient. I find it very smooth though. Ordered an OC plate to see if that ups the anti a bit. Good luck dialing it in. The Crown handle is very nice.

Don't know if you have Wizamet blades, but I find them to work well in the Slim. Just wish the razor was a little more efficient. I find it very smooth though. Ordered an OC plate to see if that ups the anti a bit. Good luck dialing it in. The Crown handle is very nice.
If your experience is anything like mine the Slim OC plate will up the efficiency a country mile!

One can read ride the cap but to actually deviate from a steep angle proved very difficult for myself. After a year of bliss with my .95OC, I finally enjoyed an aha moment with my Slim Ti. Taking a little edge off and shaving less steep turned that Slim OC into a darn fine razor for my face. Still an extremely efficient razor that sings like a samurai sword does in my mind.
Now I really do not like these polished handles, can’t wait for the matte crown to show up. Maybe my lather is too good and slick lol?

You don’t like your polished handle? Love it, second one I owned, won’t get rid of it.

What blades do y’all find work for this rodeo. I don’t feel like breaking in a maverick, but this is the worst shave I’ve had in a long, long time. Nacets usually are my go to… but didn’t feel so great today.

You don’t like your polished handle? Love it, second one I owned, won’t get rid of it.

What blades do y’all find work for this rodeo. I don’t feel like breaking in a maverick, but this is the worst shave I’ve had in a long, long time. Nacets usually are my go to… but didn’t feel so great today.
Not a fan of the polished barber pole. A polished crown might sing but my polished pineapple is subpar to its previous matte incarnation.
Wizamets are my favorite but the Nacets are great on shave 2 and 3 for me. Wilkinson also rock.

That’s what I’m hoping. Sure hope it’s still smooth. How do you like the OC on the Slim?

I hesitate to say as I wouldn’t want you to form a premature opinion. Honestly I had difficulty taming it. It’s very efficient with lots of blade feel. Some shaves we’re comfortable and extremely close. Others felt harsh. But, I’d like to read your take on it after a few shaves. Some here like @Iridian have mastered and love the Slim OC.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Now I really do not like these polished handles, can’t wait for the matte crown to show up. Maybe my lather is too good and slick lol?
I like the longer barber pole better. The butt sits on the pinky, the other fingers have purchase just in the right places. The "Milano" handle from Yaqi also turned out to have surprisingly awesome grip due to placement of indents just where they should be.
In doubt there is always the Ti Crown handle! :)

Shaved with my SS Blackbird today....it's been a while as I've been trying some near gear out lately. Boy, what a fabulous shave. Beats the pants of my Ti Slim as far as efficiency goes. I have to really over shave to get similar results with the Ti Slim...it just doesn't want to cut my whiskers for some reason. The Bird scared all my stubble off my face in 3 passes with just a tad of touch up. The Slim takes about 5 passes and touch ups and I still feel prickly's. I guess some razors suit my face and beard better than others....or I'm just not using the Slim correctly.

Shaved with my SS Blackbird today....it's been a while as I've been trying some near gear out lately. Boy, what a fabulous shave. Beats the pants of my Ti Slim as far as efficiency goes. I have to really over shave to get similar results with the Ti Slim...it just doesn't want to cut my whiskers for some reason. The Bird scared all my stubble off my face in 3 passes with just a tad of touch up. The Slim takes about 5 passes and touch ups and I still feel prickly's. I guess some razors suit my face and beard better than others....or I'm just not using the Slim correctly.
I have a new Ti Bird in a box waiting to be broken out. You are tempting me… 2 shaves in with the slim - not quite what I was hoping for. Changing the blade to an Israeli Red to see how it does.

I have a new Ti Bird in a box waiting to be broken out. You are tempting me… 2 shaves in with the slim - not quite what I was hoping for. Changing the blade to an Israeli Red to see how it does.
I have an OC plate coming for the Slim to see if that helps....so far not too impressed. It's very smooth during the shave, but leaves lots of stubble behind. The Bird on the other hand, for me, is brilliant. My Yates H and Blackbird rule my den by a wide margin.

As my avatar says....>DO IT.....go ahead and open up that Ti Bird and give it a go.

I have an OC plate coming for the Slim to see if that helps....so far not too impressed. It's very smooth during the shave, but leaves lots of stubble behind. The Bird on the other hand, for me, is brilliant. My Yates H and Blackbird rule my den by a wide margin.

As my avatar says....>DO IT.....go ahead and open up that Ti Bird and give it a go.
Yates H is solid, I understand. The Carbon Cx Ti ++, Blackbird ti, and Nodachi Ti are the most efficient razors I can use. My Wolfman WR1 .80/.86 is to much for me. Still waiting for a Ti22 +++ Henson to come back in stock.

Yates H is solid, I understand. The Carbon Cx Ti ++, Blackbird ti, and Nodachi Ti are the most efficient razors I can use. My Wolfman WR1 .80/.86 is to much for me. Still waiting for a Ti22 +++ Henson to come back in stock.
I don’t have the Carbon but do have the Masamune with Nodachi plates…it does shave very well, but for me the Yates and Bird perform slightly better. I do enjoy using the Nodachi in my rotation.

In my opinion, the BB is special. I still enjoy my Carbon the most, love the razor (well OK I have 5 of them in different materials). BB grew on me and is about as efficient as I can handle, yet it’s smooth.

To the razor at hand - Ti Slim SB polished, it’s not going as well as I would like. Next up, I’m lathering Tibu Sabuni with it and a new Personna. If I get any irritation, it’s up for sale (at least the head is).

In my opinion, the BB is special. I still enjoy my Carbon the most, love the razor (well OK I have 5 of them in different materials). BB grew on me and is about as efficient as I can handle, yet it’s smooth.

To the razor at hand - Ti Slim SB polished, it’s not going as well as I would like. Next up, I’m lathering Tibu Sabuni with it and a new Personna. If I get any irritation, it’s up for sale (at least the head is).
Good luck with the Slim. I haven’t found it to irritate my skin so I’m happy about that. It’s a very smooth shaver for me. Just wish it was more efficient. I like every thing about it except that.

Are you using a shallow, neutral, or steep angle with your Slim? I find neutral to work best.

Got a shave in with the Ti Slim OC base plate this morning. Finally, a great shave with the Slim. The OC dials up the efficiency to where I got a “no stubble left behind” shave….something the SB plate just can’t do for some reason.

I was a bit nervous when I put the OC plate on as there doesn’t appear to be much safety bar in front of the blade. The shave however was super smooth with very little blade feel….I was surprised and happy at the same time. For me the OC plate is almost as smooth as the SB plate but shaves like it ought to. Glad I picked up the OC for my Slim. I tend to not like OC razors, but the Ti Slim may be the exception.

Last edited:
Top Bottom