What's new

Thoughts on new (new one for me) razor

I hate to say it, but ....

I got the itch again to try a Weber razor with the bulldog handle, and before the itch went away I ended up clicking the buy button.

I used it this morning with an Astra SP blade. It is noticeably heavy, but feels good in the hand. My angle was a little off in some spots along my jaw line on my right, but where I did good I did real good. I think I shaved my chin closer than I ever have before, first time out with this razor. I know I will get used to the weight, and I will nail the angle on the next shave or the one after that.

.... as much as I like the EJ DE89 I think I'm going to end up liking this razor more.

Well, scratched that itch. Until next time.

I am an EJ razor fan (have 2) but I have been seeing more on this Weber thing.
It is starting to peek my interest.:yesnod:

Thanks for the replies.

The impulse to explore, to see what's over the hill, is a strong one. And there are so many hills.

I'm happy I went with the impulse on this one.

I've tried a couple dozen razors and my Weber is the best of them all. It gives me the best combination of closeness and comfort. I hope the Weber works for you as well.

Thanks for the report, currently use a EJ 89( last three shaves) and love it but now your report has me thinking... Might have to try one out too

The Weber is a fine razor. There are very few owner who regret having bought one. Me included.

Very interesting; too interesting. It's on my "yes, please" list, the only razor there. I'm retired, so money is tight.

Is a Weber Bulldog heavier or lighter than a Fatboy?

I love mine with Astra Sp or Polsilver SI....I'm currently waiting for a bunch of Gillette SB's and cant wait to give those a go.

D

dwLost

On my postal scale I get 3.5 oz. for the Weber with a Bulldog handle and 2.7 oz. for the Gillette fat boy.

Update:

I did second shave this morning.

My habit it two passes I don't do ATG on my neck, but my face was so good (smooth in all directions) that I decided to do a third pass, ATG, on my neck. That wasn't a good idea.

Bottom line: I am getting closer on my face with the Weber than with the EJ DE89 not doing anything different except the razor. Neck isn't that different with same two-pass routine. Third pass is easier but still not comfortable. I don't know if I will ever be able to do ATG on the neck without pain.

I'm going to experiment with my neck and see if I can do better with two passes, but my suspicion is I will never get as close as I do on my face without pain.

I do like this razor. Plan is to finish out this blade, then swap back and forth with the DE89 and get better idea how they compare.

The DE89 isn't bad, and in fact I think it is great. What is perplexing is the geometry of heads of the two razor is so similar to the eye. Is it the weight, and perhaps the shorter handle, that makes so much difference?

Update:

I did second shave this morning.

My habit it two passes I don't do ATG on my neck, but my face was so good (smooth in all directions) that I decided to do a third pass, ATG, on my neck. That wasn't a good idea.

Bottom line: I am getting closer on my face with the Weber than with the EJ DE89 not doing anything different except the razor. Neck isn't that different with same two-pass routine. Third pass is easier but still not comfortable. I don't know if I will ever be able to do ATG on the neck without pain.

I'm going to experiment with my neck and see if I can do better with two passes, but my suspicion is I will never get as close as I do on my face without pain.

I do like this razor. Plan is to finish out this blade, then swap back and forth with the DE89 and get better idea how they compare.

The DE89 isn't bad, and in fact I think it is great. What is perplexing is the geometry of heads of the two razor is so similar to the eye. Is it the weight, and perhaps the shorter handle, that makes so much difference?

I don't have an 89 head to compare, but the Weber PH has significantly more blade exposure than a Merkur 34C. As long as you keep the angle optimal it's not a big deal, but the Weber has the ability to be much more aggressive depending on the angle. Compared to the 34C the blade is slightly less bowed and sticks out more between the safety bar and the guide.

It sounds like we are at similar places with our Webers. I got mine about 10 days ago -- loved the way it looked and felt in my hand. The first shave was a bit of a surprise -- far more aggressive than I was expecting. I did a bit of damage to my neck and jaw line. (For reference, my everyday bench-mark razors are a Slim Adjustable at 4-6, a Muhle R89 and a Merkur HD. The Weber is clearly more aggressive than any of those.)

Anyway, after going back and reading a lot of B&B posts about the Weber, I started to work on "even less pressure" and adjusting the angle. After a few days off here and there to let my face heal, my Weber shaves have gradually gotten better. It really is a good tool. As usual, the problem is the user, not the razor.

Conclusion:

BLUF: DE89 is going in the cabinet.

Details: Yesterday I used the DE89 again, intending to switch back and forth. Then this morning I used the Weber. Same blade brand, Astra SP, new blades in either case, everything the same except the razors. My two-pass shave is just closer with the Weber. I'm getting smooth in all directions on the face with the Weber, but not with the DE89. Neck is difficult, regardless, but to the fingertips the Weber feels a bit closer.

I'll repeat that I still think the DE89 is a fine razor. The difference isn't huge, and I was happy with the DE89, but I tried the Weber and it's a little better. Anyway, I'm a one razor, one brush, one soap, one after shave guy, so the desire to switch back and forth and explore the differences was a noble idea that I'm not up to carrying out. For now the DE89 is going in the cabinet.

i currently own 7 razors and my go to razor has always been the 89....i can work with the mildness and always get a great shave without risk of weepers. Ive had my weber for over a month and it has now taken over the current reign of the 89. Paired with a voskhod i can daily shave, and when i throw in a silver blue or black 7 o'clock i can mow through 2 or 3 days of growth with no problem. I keep trying to find a reason to use my merkur slant but i just cant. The weber just plain works.

Top Bottom