What's new

Thoughts on heated gear (jackets, gloves, etc)?

Yep, too much Lazy Boy time will kill you.

I have been retired a while now. I am up and out of the house everyday doing something regardless of what the weather is doing. This time of year, I am usually in fleece lined pants or Carhartt lined bibs when outdoors.

Today was beautiful in Michigan. The wood pile is a lot bigger in my yard. Much more fun cutting and splitting at 30 degrees than 80.

Tried heated socks once, and went "Meh." Other than that, it's long underwear for working outside in the cold. My father was in Alaska at one time, and he practiced and taught layering. Alas, buildings seem warmer now, and long underwear makes it uncomfortable inside. Insulated coveralls work well for me where I'll be in and out of the office all day.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Alas, buildings seem warmer now, and long underwear makes it uncomfortable inside.

That's the modern trend, yes, but ... if you want to be really modern, you can turn the thermostat back down to be environmentally friendly and then layer up.

That's the modern trend, yes, but ... if you want to be really modern, you can turn the thermostat back down to be environmentally friendly and then layer up.

In my childhood, heating was by mostly by fireplace, wood stove, or gas space heater. Large buildings had steam radiators. Most had no insulation, and more cold spots than warm ones. Then came force air duct heating in the home, and soon after higher gas prices. 68° F / 20° C in the winter saved money, and still does.

At work, the heat rarely comes on because of lighting and equipment. We're going to LED lighting, and that helps the heat, but not all offices are converted yet, and mine still has the ballasts. The move from CRT to LED monitors has helped, too. But I still run the fan in my office on most winter days, even though the AC's running.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Today was beautiful in Michigan. The wood pile is a lot bigger in my yard. Much more fun cutting and splitting at 30 degrees than 80.
IMG_20191214_124030983.jpg
IMG_20191207_161514462.jpg

Top Bottom