What's new

My review of the Bevel shaving system

First off, thank you for submitting your review. As an African-American DE shaver, your review caught my attention immediately since the Bevel targets my demographic. Unfortunately, my limited budget makes purchasing the Bevel system prohibitive, so I have to resort to reading reviews about it's performance instead of finding out for myself.

The first thing that's puzzled me about the Bevel is why it's targeted almost exclusively to African-Americans. Ethnicity is not really discussed in shaving forums. While the subject creeps into all manner of online discussions, I find it ironic that the one forum where the discussion of race may be useful it's never brought up. I decided through watching a Caucasian man shave in a YouTube video that the grade of my facial hair may require a few more passes than 3. Up until then I unquestionably accepted that 3 was the magic shaving number.

(Stop laughing. We can't ALL be geniuses...)

Other then that, I generally assume razors, with minor distinctions, generally perform the same way. What makes the Bevel so unique that a Black man would prefer it over...say...the Merkur FUTUR which I currently own? Is the Bevel system a question of functionality or marketing?

I sought the answer to that question in your review. I enjoyed reading it and found it highly informative, but I didn't find the answer I was looking for. Perhaps I'll have to wait for a review written by an experienced African-American DE shaver.

In any case, good job.

Tristan Walker, the entrepreneur behind the Bevel System, came to his epiphany as a black man shopping for shaving supplies in a store. He felt like nothing in the store was offered for sale with him in mind. From there, he put some pieces together. Black men have ethnicity-specific problems with inflamed ingrowns known as shaving bumps. The problems have been made all the worse in the past few decades with the way that multi-blade cartridges cut the whisker and leave it springing back deep into the follicle. Traditional DE or straights are supposed to be a far better solution.
All that in mind, he then proceeded to do something beautiful in its intent and presentation but ugly and exploitative in its implementation. He came up with the package as seen here, with at least something of a customer support structure behind the program, but wrapped it in a subscription service that costs at least $1.00 per shave plus join-up costs. Some critics have cited that it is especially difficult to cancel the service. You have to call in and talk to a live operator. Usually you sit on hold forever and reach no one. If you do reach someone, they will jerk you around in every way they can, attempting to talk you out of cancelling. If you finally get a verbal agreement to cancel then the bills still come in. There was at least one poster within this forum who had been trying to cancel for months. It smacks of the treatment people got during the exodus from America Online after entry to Internet became easier without AOL and the previously prospering company was in trouble. AOL customer service agents plain would not accept "no" for an answer. People compared AOL to the Hotel California. You could check in anytime you like, but can never leave.

This sounds to me like classic 21st century marketing, as us Americans see on the TV show "Shark Tank" every week: a great idea that fills a real need, good quality product, and a zen for marketing it and getting rich. Two directions to go: mass marketed on QVC or in discount retail, or focus on the market share with lots of disposable income. Never both, however. I wish them well but don't have that kind of disposable income, and it seems like I'm in good company since nobody here can speak about it from the perspective of a user.

Clearly he's well aware of how shaving works, and the benefit's of DE, so i would think he would try to push the products there own way in pieces. Look at all the online vendors he could sell through. Now that it's up and running, he has a fortune of a business there, with a whole line to suit.

He not only seems to know a thing or two about shaving, but has a business degree from Stanford and seems to know a thing or two about entrepreneurship. I can't wait to see how he bridges the two markets- high end subscriptions and lower end retail. Often those are viewed as mutually exclusive but I don't see why a smart person can't make both work.

Something's changed as far as the pricing is concerned. First, the razon and the brush are complimentary with the first installment. That first installment is on special right now for $60 payable $20/month for a three month supply. Then the next three month supply is shipped automatically...so the cost is actually $20/month. I agree, the stuff really looks sexy, but I wouldn't be interested as I've already selected the various products which I like. If I were just getting into wet shaving, I could probably be tempted.

I just ordered mine on Wenseday, you are right! they dropped it to $60, WOWZERS! I know they offer a 14 day return period. I don't want to return my kit, but I do want to save $30. I'll call them and maybe they'll switch me. Jesus this is just my luck, literally the day after I order it they have a big price cut lol. I'm guess I'm about to find out if the few horror stories I read about their CS are in fact true.

Last edited:
Just finished my 2nd shave, still not a huge fan of face lathering, and imho they should put some sort of spout on the refreshing balm. I was careful but a lot still squeezed out. Shave was great, no irritation and it's even smoother feeling than yesterday. I did have to go over a few areas 3 or 4 times, but that's pretty normal for me. Following their fath lathering instructions just aren't working for me. I soak the brush for 20 seconds and give it 1 decent shake then apply a nickle sized amount of cream. The brush is drying out and there's not enough cream. I'll try tomorrow with more water and more cream.

As far as face lathering is concerned, I apply my soap or cream relatively DRY. Then I wet the tip of my brush in water to gradually build my lather. I continue slightly wetting my brush and brushing my face until I create the consistency that I like. Just a suggestion.

Having never tried that cream before though, maybe it's just not well suited for a brush or face lathering at all? Like the Dove stuff. It can be lathered, but it works best brush less in a tiny amount. Just a thought? Good luck on the phone!

Having never tried that cream before though, maybe it's just not well suited for a brush or face lathering at all? Like the Dove stuff. It can be lathered, but it works best brush less in a tiny amount. Just a thought? Good luck on the phone!

Sheamoisture for Men African Black Soap Shave Butter Creme is like this. Great protection, but forget about lathering it. Creamo-Creme too.

Excellent review, and that is one gorgeous razor. The introductory price is actually quite low for what you get, and they bill you over 3 mos. My main problem with it is that I obsessed with mixing and matching soaps/razors/blades/aftershaves. Having it all handed to me in a single-brand system removes part of the fun of wetshaving. But I'd love to get that razor and try their blades.
Where are the various components manufactured?

Excellent review, and that is one gorgeous razor. The introductory price is actually quite low for what you get, and they bill you over 3 mos. My main problem with it is that I obsessed with mixing and matching soaps/razors/blades/aftershaves. Having it all handed to me in a single-brand system removes part of the fun of wetshaving. But I'd love to get that razor and try their blades.
Where are the various components manufactured?

Having read some other responses, I see that I was probably misled by the introductory price. Apparently I'm the kind of easy target such "systems" are intended to appeal to :-/

I read a few horror stories about their customer service, I emailed them Saturday about the new pricing and got this right now

Hi John,That's a limited time offer that we just launched good through the end of the year. I've added a coupon that will give you $10 off your next two months to keep you covered.
Let me know if I can help with anything else at all.
Thank you!
Jaimel

While I would have liked $30 off, getting $20 off when they don't have to gets a thumbs up from me.

My 3rd shave this morning was really good, I nicked my neck but not much blood. There was no irritation on my upper lip or soul patch area. My hair both places is unusually rough and hard for me to shave off without causing some redness.. Skin feels very soft, can't say 100%, but I think the after sha.... errr repairing balm's really good stuff. But for the price it should be lol. Face lathering was a lot better, I used more product and a bit more water in the brush. It was pretty thick had an almost perfect consistency. I should try a face lather with my TAOS cream to see how they compare. I will go a week then try the cream on a bowl to see what kind of lather I can get out of it. One thing I like about this, when I bowl'ed I would heat up my water pot, soak my bowl while I showered then empty and refill the dish the bowl's in and then spend a few minutes getting my cream to where I wanted it. After I was done I had to clean up all my crap. With this, I'm spending a lot less time shaving. I know I could face lather with any cream so that's not a point in favor of Bevel. But it is kind of nice to chop my shaving regimen down and get it done a lot quicker without sacrificing the quality of my shave.

I haven't shaved 3 days in a row since umm a long time ago... so even if I ditch this after my supplies are up, thumbs up to Bevel for getting me back into the daily shaving mode.

I don't know the forum rules about this, but if it's not violating anything and anyone's interested in the system I have a referral code which will knock a payment off for both of us. And right now it's $20 a month instead of $30, so it would be $40 to get the kit. Definitely a pretty good deal. Had my 4th shave today, this razors awesome and the blades are super sharp.

If referral codes are okay here then PM me. If they're not, mods just let me know and I'll shut up. :D

First off, thank you for submitting your review. As an African-American DE shaver, your review caught my attention immediately since the Bevel targets my demographic. Unfortunately, my limited budget makes purchasing the Bevel system prohibitive, so I have to resort to reading reviews about it's performance instead of finding out for myself.

The first thing that's puzzled me about the Bevel is why it's targeted almost exclusively to African-Americans. Ethnicity is not really discussed in shaving forums. While the subject creeps into all manner of online discussions, I find it ironic that the one forum where the discussion of race may be useful it's never brought up. I decided through watching a Caucasian man shave in a YouTube video that the grade of my facial hair may require a few more passes than 3. Up until then I unquestionably accepted that 3 was the magic shaving number.

(Stop laughing. We can't ALL be geniuses...)

Other then that, I generally assume razors, with minor distinctions, generally perform the same way. What makes the Bevel so unique that a Black man would prefer it over...say...the Merkur FUTUR which I currently own? Is the Bevel system a question of functionality or marketing?

I sought the answer to that question in your review. I enjoyed reading it and found it highly informative, but I didn't find the answer I was looking for. Perhaps I'll have to wait for a review written by an experienced African-American DE shaver.

In any case, good job.
I just purchased this razor and brush at Target. The shaves, 2 only, have been very good, and on par with just about any other razor in my arsenal. I think the main advantage for the Bevel razor is the fact that the blade does not extend out, in other words a neutral presentation rather than a positive or negative. I slices the hair at skin level and not deeper, hence preventing razor bumps and sensitivity issues. I love my new razor, put a Bulldog handle on it and there is not much more I could ask of a razor as far as the shave quality goes. Plus the razor is really a piece of art and science blended together rather nicely.

Just to bump an old post... for anyone on military bases (since the inventory is similar a lot of times, along with clearance) these things are going for about $20... as they’re being clearanced at 75% off. I was contemplating getting one just for fun to try.

1F28557A-7A47-4CC0-AB40-AAC91EAD1EB2.jpeg

Top Bottom