What's new

Thoughts on frangible ammo for home defense.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Remind me to tell you about the time I pepper sprayed myself.

We had to get pepper sprayed in order to be certified to use it in the S.O.
Then there was the Tactical EMS course I took at Angola State Prison. As students we had to walk through a long corridor inside an old building filled with tear gas, without any protective gear, and instructors (wearing gas masks) would spritz you with pepper spray as you stumbled by, just to make sure you got the full effect! Fun day that!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Then there was the Tactical EMS course I took at Angola State Prison. As students we had to walk through a long corridor inside an old building filled with tear gas, without any protective gear, and instructors (wearing gas masks) would spritz you with pepper spray as you stumbled by, just to make sure you got the full effect! Fun day that!

When I was a young cadet and getting my traditional, ritualistic and right of passage dosage of 3 million Scoville Units... My face, eyes, lungs and nose, bounced back in 45 minutes. But the spray also went up my t-shirt sleeves, blistering both my armpits severely.

I was in bed all weekend, nursing my pits with saline solution and crying "Mommy!" :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Amazing what we'll do to serve and protect, lol. But my only weapon was a syringe. When I write that book I'll let ya know!

FarmerTan

When I was a young cadet and getting my traditional, ritualistic and right of passage dosage of 3 million Scoville Units... My face, eyes, lungs and nose, bounced back in 45 minutes. But the spray also went up my t-shirt sleeves, blistering both my armpits severely.

I was in bed all weekend, nursing my pits with saline solution and crying "Mommy!" :)
Lol'd that one. At least you weren't wearing shorts?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , I'll see yours and raise you one. The day before we did our pepper spray certification, I spent the day sanding down some kitchen cabinets and foolishly failed to use adequate eye protection. Subsequently, my eyeballs had all these micro-abrasions on them. So the next day we get pepper sprayed and initially I though, well this sucks but no biggie, the stinging stops as you rinse your face in water. But for me, as soon as the rinsing stopped, the stinging in my eyes started up again like I had just been re-sprayed! I had to be transported to the ER for treatment of my eyes! Hours later I was only moderately miserable.

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble , I'll see yours and raise you one. The day before we did our pepper spray certification, I spent the day sanding down some kitchen cabinets and foolishly failed to use adequate eye protection. Subsequently, my eyeballs had all these micro-abrasions on them. So the next day we get pepper sprayed and initially I though, well this sucks but no biggie, the stinging stops as you rinse your face in water. But for me, as soon as the rinsing stopped, the stinging in my eyes started up again like I had just been re-sprayed! I had to be transported to the ER for treatment of my eyes! Hours later I was only moderately miserable.

I literally can feel your pain right now. So why am I laughing so hard? :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No reason for Okie Sr. to keep living if Okie Jr. isn't in company. :)

When I had to get sprayed for certification I made the mistake of wearing light weight short pants. When I was led to the shower (couldn't see or breathe) I stuck my head under the shower and the pepper spray residue ran off of my hair and face, then down my belly, then ended up on my....

Keep junior protected.

OkieStubble

When I had to get sprayed for certification I made the mistake of wearing light weight short pants. When I was led to the shower (couldn't see or breathe) I stuck my head under the shower and the pepper spray residue ran off of my hair and face, then down my belly, then ended up on my....

Keep junior protected.

Lol'd. I have this image in my mind after reading this, of chewed up bubble gum? :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@nortac @OkieStubble my profound sympathies to all LEOS and service members OC sprayed ...

I had the privilege/misfortune to attend an OC spraying of ASF (auxiliary security force) personnel going through this initiation ... well. Training, allegedly.

I was tasked with photography, as these "instructors" and their victims loved to review the unfortunate photos afterward - comparing, ah, symptoms involving ... the resulting ... well. you been there. No amount of Kleenex ...

My female friend did pretty well, compared to some. Results varied. Think they got sprayed across the forehead, not right in the eyes, but. Sprays aren't all that accurate.

AA

OkieStubble

A slimy badge of courage, for sure.

Ever hear that Sprite or 7up helps to deactivate afterwards? I don't know if it helped or not, since it was my first and last time for a direct hit. ( Have had a few indirect hits over the years) But there was a group of us pouring and tossing two liter bottles all over the place, looking for some relief.

I'm sure that had to make for some interesting video, with a bunch of grown men in the middle of July in a 105 degree heat, rolling around on the ground like dogs in man made mud puddles of carbonated lemon-lime beverages. :)

Let's not even discuss, Taser Certification. :)

FarmerTan

SEVERAL of my buds have been tazed. All were cops, by the way.

Several of my clients were tazed as well, lol. I always thought of it as electro shock therapy. Retirement is good, if it weren't for HIPPA I'd be rich!

OkieStubble

SEVERAL of my buds have been tazed. All were cops, by the way.

Several of my clients were tazed as well, lol. I always thought of it as electro shock therapy. Retirement is good, if it weren't for HIPPA I'd be rich!

We liked to call it, "the funky chicken dance." :)

Top Bottom