What's new

THIRTEENTH ANNUAL One blade in February challenge 2022 edition

Is that a new blade, meaning you only got three shaves from your first one. If so why? I thought your initial blade was doing fine.

Or have I completely misunderstood (something I do on a regular basis :letterk1:)?
I think he may have misunderstood the assignment. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was forced to bin the feather after 3 shaves. Feather longevity is the worst of any quality blade I've ever used IMO.

OBIF #2

Fatip SE Open Comb
Personna Platinum (2)
Arko shave soap + bit more water compared with #1 shave = not a single weeper 🤗. Started with more water in the brush and didn't add any, just face-lathered until reached consistency. 2passes (WTG + XTG)

Again, wonderfull face-feel after Personna blade 🌟

2022 OBIF (Entrant 31) Shave 4
SOTD-1947-GT-B_2022-02-04.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" 14/42 D01 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: 1947 Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: Willy's (4)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
All is well in ZenShaveLand. :sorcerer:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Shave #4
IMG_0670.jpeg

Blade: Schick (Eversharp) Super Stainless (4)
Razor: Copper Outlaw
Brush: Simpson Tulip 3 in Super
Soap: Mike's Barbershop
AS: Myrsol Antesol

I know I'm suppose to describe my shave, but I was tired this morning and was on complete autopilot. I may have come fully awake while toweling off my face. :sleep12: Good shave though.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
4 of 28
IMG_20220204_173524.jpg

Razor: Yaqi DLC SB
Blade: King C Gillette
Soap: Cella
Brush: Yaqi Moka-Express 26mm 2 band badger

This blade is very smooth and, at least so far, a good finisher though it doesn't feel quite as sharp as the Gillette Platinum I used before Christmas and though I am still getting BBS finishes. I went for Cella soap tonight instead of the Haslinger Shafmilch I had intended to finish next. Enjoying the challenge so far, only 24 to go.

2022 OBIF shave #2

Switched to a 2 pass shave in hopes of getting 14 shaves out of this blade.
05F9829E-D02F-4FAE-9B30-A6748EC07E90.jpeg

Flawless!

Razor: 1967 Flare Tip
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Soap: Barrister and Mann Seville
Brush: Yaqi 26mm synthetic
Post shave: Witch hazel + Nivea post shave balm.

Muhle 2011 R41; Rooney 2XL; Seaforth Sea Spice Lime SS & AS; Gillette Swede (3)
I had to switch over to the R41 from the GC .84 as the latter was not shaving me close enough after 3 passes and buffing. The R41 provided a BBS after 2 passes w/ some slight buffs. I think I may have hit on another excellent blade/razor combo!
SOTD4feb22.jpg

marty

Is that a new blade, meaning you only got three shaves from your first one. If so why? I thought your initial blade was doing fine.

Or have I completely misunderstood (something I do on a regular basis :letterk1:)?
Hey Cal. You didn't misunderstand! The third shave was good but I did notice that the blade itself didn't have the same effortless glide as it did the first two shaves. I recently managed seven shaves with one Feather blade so I know they have some decent longevity but today I just wanted that fresh feather blade feeling. :)

February 4

Blade:
Shark Super Stainless (4)
Razor: Yaqi The Final Cut
Shave Cream: Proraso (red)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm badger

The brush arrived in the mail today, one day behind the razor. Yaqi listed the brush was having a defective handle, but I can't see anything amiss.

I saw the shave cream at the local Marshalls and bought it on a whim. This is the first time I've used shave cream from a tube. The cream lathered well and has a light, pleasant scent.

Second shave with this particular razor and it continues to impress me. On 3, I get about as close to BBS as I get (two passes plus touch-up).

The Shark blade is still going strong.
2022-02-04 20.24.24.jpg

Brother awk mentioned on his initial post that he has blade add and switches brands often, so his challenge is sticking with one brand for the month.
You nailed it! as good (great) as Feathers are I'm already dreaming about Wizzies, Voskies, Rapira's, and of course all the Gillette Brands I have. :)
Sticking with one brand for one month is a major challenge for me. Much respect to all my brothers and sisters that can use a single blade for an entire month!

Eben Stone

Staff member
OBIF shave #4

20220204_224808.jpg

Preshave: PAA Clown Fruit Cube
Razor: Blackland Dart machined
Blade: Dorco ST301 #7
Brush: RazoRock 400 Noir
Soap: Acqua di Parma Barbiere
Aftershave: Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux Confluence

Not a super close shave, but zero alum feedback, so I'm pretty happy with the results.

Top Bottom