What's new

THIRTEENTH ANNUAL One blade in February challenge 2022 edition

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Since it's almost february and @GermanShaver! hasn't posted anything yet, I've decided to start the challenge this time. (@GermanShaver! hasn't be online since 7th April 2021)
May the blade be with you, and I hope @GermanShaver! is ok.
I'll just repost the original rules. To enter just name your blade and add yourself to the list. Reviews of shaves are of course optional. My blade for this challenge will be the King C Gillette

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "ONE BLADE IN FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!!"

Each year we have more and more participants. In the first year many used the legendary Personna 74 blade. The next six years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derby, Dorco, Astra, Feather, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade, even a lowly Dorco or Derby can go the distance.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

This isn't a contest so feel free to post whatever method or gizmo you use to extend the life of your blade. Are you a hand stropper, use alcohol (to clean your blade, drinking alcohol and putting a sharp blade to your throat probably not the best combo) magic incantations or just old fashioned wiping the blade.

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

Good luck and have fun!!!

Since it's almost february and @GermanShaver! hasn't posted anything yet, I've decided to start the challenge this time. (@GermanShaver! hasn't be online since 7th April 2021)
May the blade be with you, and I hope @GermanShaver! is ok.
I'll just repost the original rules. To enter just name your blade and add yourself to the list. Reviews of shaves are of course optional. My blade for this challenge will be the King C Gillette

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "ONE BLADE IN FEBRUARY CHALLENGE!!"

Each year we have more and more participants. In the first year many used the legendary Personna 74 blade. The next six years participants used "mortal" blades, like Derby, Dorco, Astra, Feather, and Lions. It shocking how many shaves you can really get out of a blade, even a lowly Dorco or Derby can go the distance.

Here are the "rules":

1. "Try" to use one blade for the entire month of February. That means if you want to try a "mortal" blade, like a Derby or a Dorco, and you can get it to last 15 days, feel free to use a new Derby Day 16 and continue. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4.)

2. Push your blade as far as it can go. (See Rule 3 and Rule 4)

3. Have fun! (See Rule 4)

4. There are no rules! (See Rule 3)

This isn't a contest so feel free to post whatever method or gizmo you use to extend the life of your blade. Are you a hand stropper, use alcohol (to clean your blade, drinking alcohol and putting a sharp blade to your throat probably not the best combo) magic incantations or just old fashioned wiping the blade.

Feel free to use injectors or SE's. And if there is a way for you straight razors users to play, feel free (like no honing for a month?)

Good luck and have fun!!!
Hey Mike when I first saw this thread I was thinking this was about using one particular brand for the month. I’m usually one and done. I have what I call blade ADD so even limiting myself to one brand would be a huge challenge. I’d like to give it a shot!

I'm in! If I count right this is my seventh go-round with this challenge. Many years I succeed in getting through the month on one blade, but I've failed a couple of times. So as not to coast through this time I plan to use an Accutec carbon-steel SE blade from the drug store. I made it through two weeks with one of these blades so I'm hopeful that I can go the full 28 days. We'll see.

I`m in. Going with a Gillette Perma-Sharp this time. I´ve never pushed this blade bejond 10, so we shall see how it behaves on the marathon distance.

1) Mike M - King C Gillette
2) Runnin_Ute - Gillette Silver Blue
3) Saxonbowman - Accutec carbon-steel SE
4) tsimmns - Schick Proline SE
5) @luv2shave - BLADE PENDING
6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
7) JAHE - Gillette Perma-Sharp
8)

Please note not only how many shaves you have done with the blade, but in total how many passes.
For science ;)

Last edited:
We are on the verge of year of the Tiger, so I am in with a Tiger Platinum blade, maybe...

I gave one a run this morning and found it a bit dull to go a whole month. If tomorrow is similar I may choose a different blade.

6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
8) T.Orso - Tiger Platinum

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Do cartridges count? I'm traveling Feb 1-16 and will be taking my Gillette Guard on the plane. If it counts, I'll continue with the cartridge through the remainder of Feb.
I don't see why not, I never got a month of daily shaves out of a cart when I did shave with them and if you need to use a new cart to get through the month go ahead.

In with a Trig Silver Edge. No point in using something that will last me more than a hundred shaves.

6) Ivo4u2 - KAI DE
8) T.Orso - Tiger Platinum
9) FoolishMortal - Nacet, naturally
10) awk_m4 - Feather
11) psfred Trig Silver Edge

Gillettte silver blue lasted me more than 90 shaves I think. A real challenge would be something like a Sharp Star, which is only sharp at giving me weepers, it certainly isn't sharp at removing stubble.

Top Bottom