What's new

Thinking of Giving Boar Another Try

I've been waiting 6 weeks to the UK. No way postage is that slow. I'm thinking more like their production is way down because of the virus rather than postal issues.

I got lucky and ordered two brushes before everyone lost their minds. They arrived within two weeks.

Ordered 5/31, ship notification 6/2 but no tracking #, I’m sure they will get here eventually.

TiBam handles from Russia, ordered the first week of April, last update from the Russian postal system 5/15. Not quite so sure about these.

Ordered 5/31, ship notification 6/2 but no tracking #, I’m sure they will get here eventually.

TiBam handles from Russia, ordered the first week of April, last update from the Russian postal system 5/15. Not quite so sure about these.
oof.

My 1470 (same knot as the 610) is breaking in very well. I have used it for three shaves and lathered it two other times, and there are some split tips. The lather capacity is already serviceable for my shaves (2 passes shaving plus a third pass lathering and rinsing), although I suspect and hope that it will get better. I was skeptical regarding the handle, but it's very ergonomic and easy to use. Nifty little brush. I like it well enough that I've ordered a 610. Also a 620. Why not?

My 1470 (same knot as the 610) is breaking in very well. I have used it for three shaves and lathered it two other times, and there are some split tips. The lather capacity is already serviceable for my shaves (2 passes shaving plus a third pass lathering and rinsing), although I suspect and hope that it will get better. I was skeptical regarding the handle, but it's very ergonomic and easy to use. Nifty little brush. I like it well enough that I've ordered a 610. Also a 620. Why not?
You caught the boar bug. They are so fun to use, observe the change, appreciate and collect. Boar brushes being so economical you can really acquire a good variety to experience and enjoy.

You caught the boar bug. They are so fun to use, observe the change, appreciate and collect. Boar brushes being so economical you can really acquire a good variety to experience and enjoy.
Haha. I've really just now caught the Semogue bug. I had the Omega bug about a decade back. My 10049 was the brush I shaved with at the hospital the day my son was born. I love the 24/55 Omega knots best of their products, but I have a couple of others as well.

My Semogue boar numbers have swelled, though. I have the 2000, the Torga C5, the 1470, the 1250, and the 1800, with the 610 and 620 on the way. Never have tried an SOC, but maybe before the summer's out. Oh, and I picked up an 830, too. I am supposed to be heading toward minimalism, but the truth is that boars interest me like nothing else in wetshaving. I like badgers okay and used a synthetic almost exclusively for a while, but the boars always beckon. Some time back, I bought the 2000 when I was nuts for Omega Pros. I like it a lot. Then I bought the 1250. I feel like I'm just now coming to understand that brush, which made me want to try a couple of other 22/55 Semogues. Thus the 830 and 1800.

The 610 and 620 handles have always appealed to me, and when I picked up the 1470 for cheap and liked the knot, it just seemed like I ought to grab its twin in the 610. And so it goes...

Haha. I've really just now caught the Semogue bug. I had the Omega bug about a decade back. My 10049 was the brush I shaved with at the hospital the day my son was born. I love the 24/55 Omega knots best of their products, but I have a couple of others as well.

My Semogue boar numbers have swelled, though. I have the 2000, the Torga C5, the 1470, the 1250, and the 1800, with the 610 and 620 on the way. Never have tried an SOC, but maybe before the summer's out. Oh, and I picked up an 830, too. I am supposed to be heading toward minimalism, but the truth is that boars interest me like nothing else in wetshaving. I like badgers okay and used a synthetic almost exclusively for a while, but the boars always beckon. Some time back, I bought the 2000 when I was nuts for Omega Pros. I like it a lot. Then I bought the 1250. I feel like I'm just now coming to understand that brush, which made me want to try a couple of other 22/55 Semogues. Thus the 830 and 1800.

The 610 and 620 handles have always appealed to me, and when I picked up the 1470 for cheap and liked the knot, it just seemed like I ought to grab its twin in the 610. And so it goes...
After I got my Semogue Owner's Club, my Semogue bug was cured. It really is a magical brush. The tips are very soft but the complex weave of the knot gives for an amazing face feel. Sorry my 830 but SOC takes the cake for now.

Nice collection! Boar brushes can be so much fun. :)

How would you compare the Torga C5 to the 1470 and the 1250?

Nice collection! Boar brushes can be so much fun. :)

How would you compare the Torga C5 to the 1470 and the 1250?
The word I keep returning to is density. The C5 is so dense. The knot is bigger, too, but I will try to post an overhead picture soon to show the difference in density.

I bought the Torga because it is listed as having "Premium" boar, like the 1305 and 830, but is also a bigger knot and shorter loft than those. I was hoping for a really soft-tipped but scrubby brush. It is that. So far, though, the tips of the hair are not splitting as much as some of the "lesser" boar bristles Semogue uses.

It feels huge compared to the 1470 in particular, even at the same loft. I would say it's like a Chubby or Classic from Simpsons in terms of being a wall/ball of boar. However, it does release lather. It just doesn't hold as much as I'd expect for such a large knot, probably in part due to tips that haven't fully split. I'm keeping track of my Semogue usage this summer as I break in a bunch of boars, and I'll keep updating on this.

Oh, and the handle: it's like the Caravela handle shapewise, and not my favorite due to the concave groove being lower on the handle than I'd prefer, but it does work well and looks great. I will hope it breaks in more and continues growing on me. It's definitely a unique feeling brush for me.

The word I keep returning to is density. The C5 is so dense. The knot is bigger, too, but I will try to post an overhead picture soon to show the difference in density.

I bought the Torga because it is listed as having "Premium" boar, like the 1305 and 830, but is also a bigger knot and shorter loft than those. I was hoping for a really soft-tipped but scrubby brush. It is that. So far, though, the tips of the hair are not splitting as much as some of the "lesser" boar bristles Semogue uses.

It feels huge compared to the 1470 in particular, even at the same loft. I would say it's like a Chubby or Classic from Simpsons in terms of being a wall/ball of boar. However, it does release lather. It just doesn't hold as much as I'd expect for such a large knot, probably in part due to tips that haven't fully split. I'm keeping track of my Semogue usage this summer as I break in a bunch of boars, and I'll keep updating on this.

Oh, and the handle: it's like the Caravela handle shapewise, and not my favorite due to the concave groove being lower on the handle than I'd prefer, but it does work well and looks great. I will hope it breaks in more and continues growing on me. It's definitely a unique feeling brush for me.

Do you have the Connaught Jade Omega boar? You may as well get that one too if you don’t.

Thanks for the review! It sounds like a very good brush. Based on your description, it seems to me that the knot is similar to the Semogue limited edition 2018 for TSN.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Do you have the Connaught Jade Omega boar? You may as well get that one too if you don’t.

Agreed. I have a lot of boar brushes. The OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle is the best.
20200624_155007~2.jpg

I think they reorganized the brush categories lately, when they introduced their latest brushes, the Torga, Galahad and Pharos. Based on vintagescent.com, the SOC along with the aforementioned new brushes belong to the Classic line whereas the older 600, 800, 1000 and 2000 series belong now to the Hereditas line.

I have lately come to the conclusion that I don't really want to use anything other than boar, preferably in wooden handles.

Omega's 11126 is worth considering. The 24 mm knot feels similar to the 22 mm Semogue 1305 (my 11126 is a smidgeon softer), and the 11126 has a comfortable wooden handle that feels more substantial than some of Omega's plastic handles. Nice brush, but the build quality of the Omega is not quite as good as the Semogues.

Do all Semogues end up splaying out like my 620 and the 610 pictured above?
Some Semogues more than others. It is the way the knots are made. The bristles form more of a cone shape instead of the cylinder shape for Omegas.

The Semogue "bed head" effect can be tamed by drying the brush upside down in a rack and combing the bristles out every other shave.

Top Bottom