What's new

Thinking of Giving Boar Another Try

Okay,

My only experience with boar brushes come from two different models. A Van der Hagen and a Semogue 830. The VdH is okay. The Semogue felt great on the face but it always seemed like I was revisiting the puck of the cream jar. It never seemed like I could load enough product.

Presently I am using several badgers, three different horse hair brushes, and three synthetics. All work very well for me.

I am getting the itch to try a boar again. What brand and model do you gents recommend?

Thanks.

If you like the face feel of the 830, just use it. Usually the answer lies in using more product and water. I also found that my 830 behaved better when I used only the tips and avoided pressure/splaying. All that being said, I see nothing wrong in reloading the brush.

My copy of the 830 lost its backbone pretty quickly, so I moved on to smaller and scrubbier brushes (e.g. Semogue 610/620). I am guessing that you prefer medium backbone and a softer face feel, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. I think that the Omega 10065 or the Semogue 1800 might suit you.

I likewise recently decided to give boar another try. After reading through a bunch of threads at various shaving sites/fora, I ordered the Jade Omega 011842 made exclusively for Connaught. I received it yesterday.

I have done the multiple soaks in Oxy Clean + water solution, and it is currently in a cup of water in the refrigerator (I put it in the fridge yesterday, and have already towel dried it, towel stropped it & also used a hair dryer on cool setting to dry it almost all the way) for an initial break-in (I know...some guys decry this sort of break-in, but I want to give this brush every chance to be something I like; I don't give a rat's about "going on a journey" during it's break-in during normal use). I'll be drying & towel stropping it again tomorrow, check progress and perhaps another 24 hours in the water.

VDH boar is not a great choice. It shed a lot and was too scritchy.

I love my Semogue 830 but yes, it does eat up a lot of the lather. As people mentioned, more products and more water will help with the issue. Another good option is Omega 10066. I really enjoy that brush and it's got a nice small size to it.

If I were in your place, I'd get a Zenith bleached boar with either 26 or 28mm knot with 57mm loft. The break-in time is very short and they are just a pleasure to use. Don't get one with a very tall loft, though. They need a shorter loft for good backbone.

zenith-pure-bristle-bleached-aluminum-handle-niquel-ring-b03-a26.jpgzenith-pure-bristle-bleached-aluminum-handle-niquel-ring-b02-a28.jpg

I have the Semogue 830 and it has developed into a very nice brush, with soft split tips. If your 830 is not broken in yet, I would recommend using it every other day for a while. As it breaks in, it gets softer as the tips split and I found it held more lather. Now, “Enable Mode” activated. If you want to try a new Boar Brush the Connaught Jade Omega (previously mentioned) and Semogue SOC are crowd favorites here. (Full disclosure I’m waiting on both to arrive.) Another option is an Omega. I have a 20102 and it has broken in great. I alternate the 20102 and 830. The 20102 has soft tips with more backbone, the 830 has soft tips and fantastic splay. Some users think the 830 gets “too soft” and doesn’t have enough backbone, that’s why I have the 1-2 punch. As far as breaking in the Boar Brush, I recommend doing it by using it. Then you will feel the changes and the discernible differences between brushes and new brushes vs broken in brushes. Time and patience are what turn a Boar Brush into a great shaving brush. Good luck! “Badgers, We don’t need no stinking Badger!” (I kid, don’t beat me up.)

I've never used a VDH brush so I can't comment on that, but the 830 is a lovely brush if you enjoy a bit of backbone. If you're constantly having to return to the puck it probably isn't properly broken in yet. You could always return to that and stick with it until it shines.
This is likely the case. Even after I've broken a boar in, if I let it be for a month, it needs to see regular use again before it performs the way I expect it to. I believe boars are more for the guy who wants one good brush. Old faithful.

Omega and Zenith each offer a good selection of bigger knots if you want a lot of lather out of a single load. Omega will be stiffer and scrubbier in feel. I shave around facial hair, so you probably want more brush than I use.

I would call the Omega 10065, 10066, and 10005 medium sized. Once you get into knots the size of the 10049 you have a lot of brush and should get plenty of lather out of a single loading. Omegas are everywhere, but Maggard does a good job specifying dimensions.

The large Zenith knots will generally be softer than Omega. They have plenty of handle choices (metals, woods, and resins) that B&Bers find attractive. The Gentle Shave website will show you lots of Zenith choices.

And, boy howdy, did I ever save some money on Semogue Owners Club with Portuguese Factory. Now if they can just manage to cross the Atlantic...

Reactions: GNR
The Semogue felt great on the face but it always seemed like I was revisiting the puck of the cream jar. It never seemed like I could load enough product.

Presently I am using several badgers, three different horse hair brushes, and three synthetics. All work very well for me.

I am getting the itch to try a boar again. What brand and model do you gents recommend?
I would reiterate that you should persevere with the Semogue 830 as it will break in to a great brush. If you want a different boar brush, the Omega boars are worth considering. They are many choices depending on what size knot you are looking for.

I'm one of the last people to suggest not getting a new brush, but you stated "The Semogue felt great on the face but it always seemed like I was revisiting the puck of the cream jar. It never seemed like I could load enough product."

I would stick with the Semogue 830 for now and see how it develops. If you get a new brush, you'll need to spend time breaking it in anyway. If you need to load more soap, then go for it. Soap is relatively inexpensive (depending on the soap of course) compared to a new brush. Besides, you can always buy another brush down the road. But if you replace the 830 now, you'll miss out on the satisfaction of allowing the 830 to reach its full potential. Good luck with your decision.

By the way... whenever I find myself needing to reload the brush, I just grab either a tube of Proraso or a soap stick and face lather. By then it's the second or third pass anyway; I've already enjoyed the best part of the shave. The rest is just clean up.

I have the Semogue 830 and it has developed into a very nice brush, with soft split tips. If your 830 is not broken in yet, I would recommend using it every other day for a while. As it breaks in, it gets softer as the tips split and I found it held more lather. Now, “Enable Mode” activated. If you want to try a new Boar Brush the Connaught Jade Omega (previously mentioned) and Semogue SOC are crowd favorites here. (Full disclosure I’m waiting on both to arrive.) Another option is an Omega. I have a 20102 and it has broken in great. I alternate the 20102 and 830. The 20102 has soft tips with more backbone, the 830 has soft tips and fantastic splay. Some users think the 830 gets “too soft” and doesn’t have enough backbone, that’s why I have the 1-2 punch. As far as breaking in the Boar Brush, I recommend doing it by using it. Then you will feel the changes and the discernible differences between brushes and new brushes vs broken in brushes. Time and patience are what turn a Boar Brush into a great shaving brush. Good luck! “Badgers, We don’t need no stinking Badger!” (I kid, don’t beat me up.)

A man after my own heart. I have 3 boars. A WCS handle that used to have a badger knot in it but now has a 28mm X 70mm knot from shave forge which I call Boarzilla ( it’s a huge beast), an Omega 10098 pro which I call Bride of Boarzilla and another WCS handle that used to have a Synth knot in it. It has a 24mm X 68mm knot in it from shave forge as well and I call it Pigletzilla. It’s small and works on my soaps in small containers (Cella for example). I also have one Synth left but it is super soft. I’m actually contemplating another Omega boar and gifting the Synth to my son.

Yeah, Boar is king in my book.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA

Top Bottom