What's new

Thinking of Giving Boar Another Try

The Omega Jade is still my favorite boar brush. Tips are splitting with decent backbone. Was something of a lather hog but that seems to be changing for the better.

This knot was pretty stinky when I got it, did the three day break in and that helped it quite a bit.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just got this Zénith B34 boar brush a few days ago. Two shaves in and some of the tips are splitting, decent backbone, knot hasn’t opened up yet so splay is less than great. Virtually no odor when I got it, hairs are definitely finer than the Jade brush. Handle is ergonomic though not as good as the Omega.

Overall I am enjoying using boar brushes.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Based on my massive sample of Zenith boar brushes (2), I think Zenith cleans/bleaches/treats somehow their knots far more than Omega treats theirs. My Omega sample is n=4, plus a few more I've given as gifts or kept in the package so far. :biggrin1:

The Omega Jade is still my favorite boar brush. Tips are splitting with decent backbone. Was something of a lather hog but that seems to be changing for the better.

This knot was pretty stinky when I got it, did the three day break in and that helped it quite a bit.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just got this Zénith B34 boar brush a few days ago. Two shaves in and some of the tips are splitting, decent backbone, knot hasn’t opened up yet so splay is less than great. Virtually no odor when I got it, hairs are definitely finer than the Jade brush. Handle is ergonomic though not as good as the Omega.

Overall I am enjoying using boar brushes.

proxy.php

proxy.php
I appreciate that your shave den appears to be your reloading rooms as well. I have a feeling my future looks the same.

I’ve used my Connaught Omega Jade 011842 approximately every fifth day for the last 10 months or approximately 60 times. After that many uses, I see that it has potential. It lathers pretty well, when wet has fairly soft tips and decent scrub. It always follows my Rudy Vey/Shavemac 2 band Silvertip which in my opinion is a tough act to follow. It is followed by a Simpson Classic 2 (best bordering on or equal to super). Simpson Duke 3 best and Simpson Chubby 1 super complete the rotation.

So why do I continue to use my least favorite brush? It’s potential. It seems to improve ever so slightly with each use. It also serves as a contrast to my badgers and somehow makes my badgers better. If this was the only brush I owned, I would not complain.

I also own but do not use a Simpson Classic 1 synthetic bought for travel. I don’t like the brush and use a Simpson Major super for travel. I have no desire to explore other synthetics.

In short, I do recommend the Connaught Omega as part of a rotation. I think it will continue to get better, but don’t think it will ever be my favorite. Boar adds more variety and also adds to my badger appreciation.

I have the 610 in black in addition to my 1470. Its fifth time lathering was today, and it was the inaugural shave. Performed admirably, yielding 2 good shaving passes and a third just-because pass of lather. I can see this becoming a remarkable brush with time.

I recently got a Semogue 1305 and I love it - great performance & quick lathering. I also just got a Semogue 1438, which is pretty odd in comparison to the 1305. It seems to suck up a lot more water than the 1305, and I need to be careful not to add nearly as much water to the bowl when building a lather. The 1305 takes around 25-30 drops to whip up a brush loaded from a Williams puck. The 1438 requires only about 10-15 even with as much water shaken out as I can.

I'm getting tempted by boar, have some questions. Based on reports and reviews I'm leaning strongly toward the SOC. Seems to have soft tips, quick break in, right size knot. So, is this a good choice for a first boar and face lathering? Will it replace my synth Trafalgar T2? Finally, at about $30 shipped, is there something comparable at a lower cost?

I'm getting tempted by boar, have some questions. Based on reports and reviews I'm leaning strongly toward the SOC. Seems to have soft tips, quick break in, right size knot. So, is this a good choice for a first boar and face lathering? Will it replace my synth Trafalgar T2? Finally, at about $30 shipped, is there something comparable at a lower cost?
Many will tell you it’s too big for face lathering. I disagree. It ends up being in the larger/fuller size for face lathering but it will do the job. I would say that the SOC doesn’t have a reputation for a quick break in. Mine took 3 weeks of daily use to really have a marked change in feel of softness. After 6 weeks it was an absolute pleasure and well worth the focused break in period. It does end up being rather soft once broken in. Again, some say too soft and splays too much, but I like that.

My suggestion if you want something that generally breaks in quick or feels practically broken in Right out of the box, try a zenith. Many of the popular zeniths have larger knots than the SOC, but you can certainly find some smaller knots from zenith at a good price. I would add to stock with a brush that has a loft as tall or shorter than the SOC if you end up looking at this brand.

Zenith’s B03-A26 is a larger knot, but is along the lines of an SOC in my view. Check our yourshaving and see what they are offering. Prices are low enough you can get a couple to try them and see what me right for you.

Many will tell you it’s too big for face lathering. I disagree. It ends up being in the larger/fuller size for face lathering but it will do the job. I would say that the SOC doesn’t have a reputation for a quick break in. Mine took 3 weeks of daily use to really have a marked change in feel of softness. After 6 weeks it was an absolute pleasure and well worth the focused break in period. It does end up being rather soft once broken in. Again, some say too soft and splays too much, but I like that.

My suggestion if you want something that generally breaks in quick or feels practically broken in Right out of the box, try a zenith. Many of the popular zeniths have larger knots than the SOC, but you can certainly find some smaller knots from zenith at a good price. I would add to stock with a brush that has a loft as tall or shorter than the SOC if you end up looking at this brand.

Zenith’s B03-A26 is a larger knot, but is along the lines of an SOC in my view. Check our yourshaving and see what they are offering. Prices are low enough you can get a couple to try them and see what me right for you.
I ended up buying 6 zenith boars from just shaving, all absolute bargains and fantastic brushes to boot.

Top Bottom