What's new

Thinking about my first .45 ACP...

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I love shooting cast out of my 1911. I use the original GI load of 5gr of Bullseye behind any cast bullet up to 230gr. (A friend gave me an 8lb keg of bullseye for some machining I did for him).
My regular bullet is the Lee 200gr truncated cone with old school alox/beeswax lube. Barrel leading is non-existant.
The bullseye/lube combination makes for a dirty gun after a range session though. But that's half the fun! Aromatherapy...

Thanks for the info!

My favorite 45acp is one of the 1917 revolvers.

When I end up getting a revolver, It'll very likely be in .357 Mag.

I have short thumbs myself and have to adjust my grip to work the mag release on most semi-autos. But as @OkieStubble says, I train that way. No biggie. I'll never win any speed shooting contests but I can drop and seat a magazine and get back on target fast enough to stay in a gunfight.

Now I'm kind of curious how many folks have this short thumb issue with 1911s.

Get a 1911 you won't regret it, heck get a few. I can't release the slide with my right hand thumb but I just use my support hand thumb to drop the slide lock.

I've owned HKs and Sigs as well both are very nice, but I never really warmed up to the recoil impulse of either. Your best bet is to find a range and test fire every handgun you are considering. Because really that is the only way you are going to find the one that best suits your needs.

Obligatory 1911 pictures to help sway your decision........
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Beautiful pistols! That's one thing I like about 1911s, they just look awesome.

View attachment 940115 One thing about a Glock. They can be pretty accurate right out of the box.
This is 10 rounds in about 6 seconds. G30S.
If I recall, from 7 yards

Nice shooting!

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Most of my pistols are 9mm, so a .45 to me would just be for the fun of it and the sake of having something different.
Having already confessed to being somewhat “strange” in a previous thread, for my money, there’s just something very American & very special about owning COLT .45 ACP & .38 Super 1911 Government* Model pistols (*Commanders & other shorties need not apply) ... so, if you’re going to make the .45 ACP pistol a “something different” one-of, why not reach for some Americana?

That said, (also) being a Swiss-German-Austrian “fanboy”, my .45 ACP affections for the Sig 220; the HK USP Tactical; the HK45C & the 3rd Gen Glock 21 run deep, though not quite as deep as those iconic COLT Government Models.

Can’t talk .45 ACP without mentioning these six unicorns, HK’s prototype-only, P7 M7. Boy, if only :-((

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you're not sure about a 1911, have a look at a CZ 97B. They're nice. To me they feel more like a Browning Hi-Power in the hand than a 1911.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
7865EF9D-4B0B-4686-BB58-2DD123931D16.jpeg
My flock of .45 ACPs,clockwise from upper left, Springfield Armory, Colt, Kahr and Glock. Poor quality cell phone pic. Betcha can't buy just one.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Erik, I think you've already made up your mind on what you'll get. I know you tried a PPQ before you decided on the VP9.

If you're a fan of this guy, he's pretty "up" on the Walther PPQ in .45.

Give it a whirl.

Don

The Walther PPQ trigger, only comes in second to single action autos imo. A 1911 trigger just can’t be beat. The VP9 is pretty damn close to a PPQ, but just barely, not quite as good.

If I wanted my striker fired combat carry pistol to pull double duty in competition shooting or just small target shooting? The PPQ or VP9 is definitely on the top of my list.

Usually, if I’m taking a target trigger to the range? I still have a combat trigger on my hip. :) The PPQ would allow, for just one gun.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I love shooting cast out of my 1911. I use the original GI load of 5gr of Bullseye behind any cast bullet up to 230gr. (A friend gave me an 8lb keg of bullseye for some machining I did for him).
My regular bullet is the Lee 200gr truncated cone with old school alox/beeswax lube. Barrel leading is non-existant.
The bullseye/lube combination makes for a dirty gun after a range session though. But that's half the fun! Aromatherapy...

Lol’d @aromatherapy... “I just love the smell of Gunpowder in the morning.” :)

When I get my Glock 20, can I come to your house and play? I need a reloading mentor.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Glock 30SF is the softest-shooting .45 ever, but. Any polymer frame will also flex and absorb recoil similarly.

Know .45 ACP is bulky and heavy, if you travel armed.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
... A 1911 trigger just can’t be beat.
...Usually, if I’m taking a target trigger to the range? I still have a combat trigger on my hip. :) The PPQ would allow, for just one gun.

While we might debate what constitutes a "target" trigger and what defines a "combat" trigger, some would argue that given a properly set up 1911 (and a properly trained operator), a 1911 could perform both duties. This would of course not include a very light triggered "bullseye" 1911 and at the other end of the spectrum an overly heavy triggered plain jane GI warhorse.

OkieStubble

While we might debate what constitutes a "target" trigger and what defines a "combat" trigger, some would argue that given a properly set up 1911 (and a properly trained operator), a 1911 could perform both duties. This would of course not include a very light triggered "bullseye" 1911 and at the other end of the spectrum an overly heavy triggered plain jane GI warhorse.

Agreed. My point was only suggesting great triggers and not so great triggers can all hit a paper plate at 15 yards quite easily. I don’t need 4 leaf clovers in a gunfight. :)

Most comfortable and concealable method of carry for most modern handguns. I used a shoulder rig quite often during my career days. Just have to make sure you set it up correctly.

OkieStubble

Now I'm kind of curious how many folks have this short thumb issue with 1911s

While i do have short thumbs, I just think, 1911’s nature of its design, puts it’s mag release and slide lock further forward then many modern autos. Even people with normal thumbs can’t reach them.

Can you imagine, how freaky you would look with normal sized fingers, but you had these really long thumbs hanging off either sides of your hands?

;)

OkieStubble

Most comfortable and concealable method of carry for most modern handguns. I used a shoulder rig quite often during my career days. Just have to make sure you set it up correctly.

What is the correct way or incorrect way of setting up a shoulder harness and rig?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I didn't realize how common it was to not be able to reach the controls with one hand.

You might try one with a flat mainspring housing if you haven't already. That may help a little. Mine has an extended slide release so it's not a problem. I do have to shift my grip just a bit to hit the magazine release. The safety is a no brainer.

LMAO. That is a really nice officers Mike.

Nothing barks quite like a snub-nosed .45. :biggrin1:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Usually, if I’m taking a target trigger to the range? I still have a combat trigger on my hip.

When Wilson did the work on my 1911 I told him it was a duty weapon. He put ~5lb. trigger pull on it with a bit of take-up, which is good on a carry gun, but once it reaches the pull it breaks like an icicle with almost no over travel and a very short re-set. He does good work.

Top Bottom