What's new

Thinking about my first .45 ACP...

My first "1911" type was actually a Browning Hi power, all the controls are placed the same as a true 1911. Since acquiring it I have gotten 8 other variations, three full size Colts, full size Kimber, compact Kimber and Para Ordinance DAO, a full size Para that was stolen, then lastly a couple of little Sig Micro's a 9mm and .380. Most are range guns, but I carry the little Sig 9mm almost daily.

In regards to a couple of the Colts, the compact Kimber and the Browning, I have added extended slide releases and safeties and they do make a difference. For my personal use I did not see a need to change the mag releases. Those mods made the guns much more comfortable and easier to manipulate for me.

I tried a couple of the striker fired guns, Glocks, and did not care for them, as well as having to qualify with the Beretta 92 in the USAF as an officer, and did not like the double action/single action. I'll take a straight single action only. I carry my little Sig P938 in "condition 1" round chambered, hammer cocked and safety on in a thin pocket holster that completely covers the trigger, hammer and safety. The leather has molded to the safety so chances of accidentally knocking it off are almost non existent.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
View attachment 940354 Back in the 90’s Beretta introduced the 8000 Cougar as a compact-ish pistol designed for use as a service weapon. Its highlight feature was the utilization of the rotary barrel.
My agency bought a few to see if they had any advantage over the 92F which was being issued at the time.
There really wasn’t.
Some lessened felt recoil was noted as about the only significant benefit but not enough to warrant re-outfitting the entire agency.
Command staff kept the 8000 as their issued duty sidearm. No others were purchased.
When I retired I was presented with my service weapon, the Beretta 8000.
As a pistol it’s fine; I own others I prefer.
As a memento and icon of my law enforcement career, it is priceless.

Great back story Acme, enjoyed it. Is the Cougar 8000 still in production today?

Beretta sold the tooling and marketing rights to Stoeger. Pretty sure they are sure made and are a
decent quality I am told. They’re still known as as a Cougar 8000

Top Bottom