What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've been meaning to post this for a while I got a lot of samples from PAA I think that's usually the way to go until I find something that I love. I like variations so I will probably still keep on getting samples next year. Maybe this helps some people. Any of the PAA stuff that is super floral I do not like. Just super bright, and floral and all top note stuff on me is not appealing and does not work for me. So like lilac, Lily, plumeria, etc they are not my jam.

Classico Bay rum -like
Tombstone - grew on me
Tribute - meh
The wow signal - ok
The beach - smells like the beach - okay
Supreme sandalwood science- okay
Sundown - grew on me, okay
Strange Island - love
St Martin's land -like
Speakeasy - like
Solstice - not for me
Sangre de Drago - like
Red planet - love
Porthos -? - just like
Pineapple Bay - like - wish there was more pineapple
Obliette - like
Organism 46b - dislike
Meta nectar - dislike
Mega Flora dislike
Low haiku love
John frum dislike
Java Hive - dislike
Hotel Cecil - dislike
Home on the range -? Dislike
High jump - love
Harvest Moon -dislike
Good vibrations - love
Garden of Bali dislike
frostbite meh
gondolier like
future fiction - love
fresco - not for me
first night -? - dislike
et tu- dislike
ESP-like
droid black -love
doppelganger Black label- meh doppelganger tricolor - ok
doppelganger gray label - love doppelganger Gold label - not for me doppelganger f bombs -?
Diver down - love
dapper dock doc- dislike
d a b -?
Copali-like
controversy - like
Cold spices - Love
Coconut Bay - like
club guy -?
Cella cool - not for me
Captain Smyth reserve-like
CAD -? Dislike
boomtown Bay rum -like
blackbot- like
big shave Southwest 2020-like
big shave East - meh
awesome sauce - meh
atomic age bay rum-like
Atmotic-?
Al fin - not for me
agharta -not for me
Just had a quick look at your list. If you are looking for a pineapple scent Stirling Iced Pineapple is amazing. Beautiful fresh scent with not a hint of a chemicals, plus a nice hit of menthol.

After all of the bad press and negative attention on this website and others, I'm surprised that PAA is still around. The fact that they are still in business makes me think... maybe there's something special about their CK-6 soap.

After all of the bad press and negative attention on this website and others, I'm surprised that PAA is still around. The fact that they are still in business makes me think... maybe there's something special about their CK-6 soap.
With the proviso that I've only used it with my own water supply, I can't imagine a better soap. Also, if you're into bay rums, they've got some of the best around. I'm aware of some of the allegations of unsavory behaviors in the past, but my experiences with PAA have all been good.

Hey all, does anyone have the 11235 aftershave splash? If so, does the scent last longer than 4711? Love 4711, but it really lasts only about 10 minutes on my skin, which I know it's supposed to. But, I really want that citrus goodness to last!

I don't have it, but it's not just 4711. Citrus notes in general are just ephemeral things.
For sure, they are. I know the ones that stick around usually have other base notes that make them last longer, but I figured if anyone could make a longer lasting 4711 it's PAA! I think i am going to grab it along with the EDT and hope for the best.

Doppelgänger Green Label. An homage to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. This brings that nice classic fougere masculine vibe with a bit more florals underneath. Still smells clean, manly and just really good. The CK-6 Formula is arguably one of the best Tallow free shave soaps on the market today. Excellent glide, slickness and overall protection from start to finish. The real nice kicker is the after shave/cologne splash. Just cements and brings home that vibe from one of the all time legendary fragrances with awesome skin conditioning ingredients.

Excellent stuff….

C71DF457-C32A-4C92-9DF2-6DCC0241960B.jpeg

I think they had a big enough loyal fanbase that they banded together. Also I’ve notice a lot of non wetshaving channels on YouTube covering their scents (EdP and Aftershave splashes) with good reviews.

As for CK-6: it’s actually amazing how little soap you need. I barely scrape 1/4 of a teaspoon off the puck and have lather to spare after head and face shave (2 passes each). It’s very economical. On YouTube every shaver severely uses too much of soap. That being said, I find it doesn’t lend itself well to tub loading.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think they had a big enough loyal fanbase that they banded together. Also I’ve notice a lot of non wetshaving channels on YouTube covering their scents (EdP and Aftershave splashes) with good reviews.

As for CK-6: it’s actually amazing how little soap you need. I barely scrape 1/4 of a teaspoon off the puck and have lather to spare after head and face shave (2 passes each). It’s very economical. On YouTube every shaver severely uses too much of soap. That being said, I find it doesn’t lend itself well to tub loading.

I've used CK-6 a ton of times. I always load my brush in the tub. I've never had any sort of problems loading or face lathering.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Maybe it's a silly question but I got to this thread to find the ins and outs of why Douglas Smythe was being frowned upon on this forum. All I can find here are many, many soap reviews.
Should I carry on reading to eventually find out what happened or can any of you gents give me a hint?

Maybe it's a silly question but I got to this thread to find the ins and outs of why Douglas Smythe was being frowned upon on this forum. All I can find here are many, many soap reviews.
Should I carry on reading to eventually find out what happened or can any of you gents give me a hint?
It's a bit difficult to summarize the facts that happened. Some of them were true, some not.

I'm keeping that CK-6 is a very good soap, although expensive here in Greece and Douglas was always helpful when I had a question.

This thread in particular is mostly for people who have tried their products, like their products and post here. As far as the backstory, my dad always said the first impressions and last impressions are the most important. When he first came into the industry he did not leave a very good first impression with a lot of people here. If you would like more detail I know some of the backstory but not as much as the old heads here. It can definitely turn somebody off if half the things said were true. Now having said that I came into this 3 years ago and I have liked their products that's why I use their products. I also went to them with a warranty question on a razor that was cracked and they promptly sent out a new one, I think I bought it a year ago.

I do not enjoy his bombastic and loquacious terminology and sales tactics on this website I think he should make the products put out the scent profile maybe cut the two pages down to two paragraphs but that's my preference.

I think as a business they've made a conscious decision to change how they were doing business back when they started to how they're doing business now. That probably coincided with them moving from the east coast out to Arizona. They make some very good soap and scents and that is a fact. Whether or not you choose to do business with them because of what they did in the past is up to you.

This thread in particular is mostly for people who have tried their products, like their products and post here. As far as the backstory, my dad always said the first impressions and last impressions are the most important. When he first came into the industry he did not leave a very good first impression with a lot of people here. If you would like more detail I know some of the backstory but not as much as the old heads here. It can definitely turn somebody off if half the things said were true. Now having said that I came into this 3 years ago and I have liked their products that's why I use their products. I also went to them with a warranty question on a razor that was cracked and they promptly sent out a new one, I think I bought it a year ago.

I do not enjoy his bombastic and loquacious terminology and sales tactics on this website I think he should make the products put out the scent profile maybe cut the two pages down to two paragraphs but that's my preference.

I think as a business they've made a conscious decision to change how they were doing business back when they started to how they're doing business now. That probably coincided with them moving from the east coast out to Arizona. They make some very good soap and scents and that is a fact. Whether or not you choose to do business with them because of what they did in the past is up to you.
A very nice post.

ROFL when read the second paragraph, I spit my coffee!!

There was some truly absurd quasi "stolen valour/ CIA black ops" Walter Mitty type stuff from him, and he was running two companies at the same time, while pretending not to.

This is all a long time ago, in internet terms at least, and my memory is somewhat hazy, but I think I remember him interviewing himself, as one business owner to another. This was quickly discovered, as some guys noticed the same mailing addresses/ there were some branding mix-ups.

I have not used his soaps or razors, not for any reason, they've just never been seen over my particular transom. People get themselves in to all sorts of strange positions mentally. It's rarely harmful, though it may be distasteful. Personally, I don't really care how the sausage is made, but the above turned some folk off, and I can see why.

(Not sure if these comments will stay up, as many will consider this controversy part of the "internet of yesteryear", and better laid to rest. Mods - I'm not gonna die on this hill, so do what you feel you need to do.)

There was some truly absurd quasi "stolen valour/ CIA black ops" Walter Mitty type stuff from him, and he was running two companies at the same time, while pretending not to.

This is all a long time ago, in internet terms at least, and my memory is somewhat hazy, but I think I remember him interviewing himself, as one business owner to another. This was quickly discovered, as some guys noticed the same mailing addresses/ there were some branding mix-ups.

I have not used his soaps or razors, not for any reason, they've just never been seen over my particular transom. People get themselves in to all sorts of strange positions mentally. It's rarely harmful, though it may be distasteful. Personally, I don't really care how the sausage is made, but the above turned some folk off, and I can see why.

(Not sure if these comments will stay up, as many will consider this controversy part of the "internet of yesteryear", and better laid to rest. Mods - I'm not gonna die on this hill, so do what you feel you need to do.)
Ah, thank you.
I thought it was much worse. Whilst I share the idea that Mr. Piszarcek is a douchebag , I kinda like Doug and this kinda sounds like him.
I thought he ripped some customers off or lied about the contents of his shaving soap.
This doesn't bother me too much tbh.

I do not enjoy his bombastic and loquacious terminology and sales tactics on this website

It's shtick. His real name isn't Douglas Smythe either; that's a character he (Erik Hodges) invented. It's almost like Mr. Monoply/Rich Uncle Pennybags. All of that stuff is tongue-in-cheek.

As mentioned elsewhere, it looks like some of his earlier marketing tactics were pretty unsavory. That said, I've placed several orders from PAA and have been treated right every time. I'm not one to hold a grudge forever.

PAA makes some products that I like a lot, including the best bay rums around, and sells them at a price that I can stomach.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like his products, at least some of them, very much. Particularly I like some of the splashes, the CK-6 soap, the Cube and the Tube, and Mysterium Serum.

I also enjoy his advertising copy. Yes, it's very wordy, and over the top, and loaded with hyperbole, but I still enjoy it. Doesn't mean I don't take it with a grain of salt.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Lied about the contents of his shaving soap.
I have not gotten too far into the controversy but I believe he did this and is one of the complaints against him. He was it incorrectly listing ingredients. Either claiming that there was more of something in there than they're actually was. When a label gets put on something I believe it first ingredient has to be the most abundant And it wasn't. And or he said a certain percentage of something was in there where it would be chemically impossible to do so.

When I first bought PAA products I did not know about any of the controversy. When I look at their products now I definitely know I have a choice. they do make a good product.

Top Bottom