What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I have not used their revamp service. I know that Chris, at Back Roads Gold, did an incredible job on my '36 Aristocrat, and 1917 Bulldog. The '36 underwent disassembly & cleaning, then gold plate.

The Bulldog had a white-gold weld (done by a local jeweler) that came through polish & platinum plate beautifully. It can be easy to buff those small welds away, if one isn't careful.

I just used the service for a gift razor I bought for my brother. I had grabbed an M1 1966 Gillette slim off of Ebay that I wanted to give him as he was born Feb of 66. When the razor arrived it was in decent shape but not great so I decided to send it in and have it revamped and plated. I was just going to do a nickel plate on it but decided to make it really special for him and had it done in Rhodium.

I will say the communication about the status as it moved a long was really sparse. They sent me a couple of updates early in the process and then many weeks went by with no word until it shipped. Took about a month or so, I don't remember the exact date they received the razor from me, but I placed the revamp order on Jan 13th and shipped it to them the next day. They shipped the razor out on Feb 25th.

That said, the razor came out great! My brother loved it!

I just used the service for a gift razor I bought for my brother. I had grabbed an M1 1966 Gillette slim off of Ebay that I wanted to give him as he was born Feb of 66. When the razor arrived it was in decent shape but not great so I decided to send it in and have it revamped and plated. I was just going to do a nickel plate on it but decided to make it really special for him and had it done in Rhodium.

I will say the communication about the status as it moved a long was really sparse. They sent me a couple of updates early in the process and then many weeks went by with no word until it shipped. Took about a month or so, I don't remember the exact date they received the razor from me, but I placed the revamp order on Jan 13th and shipped it to them the next day. They shipped the razor out on Feb 25th.

That said, the razor came out great! My brother loved it!
I sent in a Fatboy i picked up from a gentleman here at B&B, Razor Emporium told me it would only take a week i guess cause i was just having it cleaned, polished and tightened up

They did a nice job on the fatboy I sent i for revamp back in 2019.
20200328_102115.jpg

There will be others along with less happy tales..

Has anyone here had any experience sending a razor in to have it revamped and if so how was your experience with the company?
Its been a lot better since Matt and his early partner went their separate ways years back, still the odd one who has a less than stellar job done though and how it gets handled after the fact isn't the best. People make mistakes as we are all human but how one handles them is the true judge of character.

Its been a lot better since Matt and his early partner went their separate ways years back, still the odd one who has a less than stellar job done though and how it gets handled after the fact isn't the best. People make mistakes as we are all human but how one handles them is the true judge of character.
I hope they don't mess my fatboy up.

M

member 119848

So, this is is hands down if you like a milder shaver the best modern in production razor. I have all the razorock models, the the short lived Worlds Finest Razor, Timeless Ti, all the muhle and Merkur models, and this beats them.
I do have the Timeless in the .68 plate and I find that the Meta-4 shaves quite similarly...

After reading this thread I took the Meta-4 out for another spin. I had to use a much shallower angle than I was before, but was able to get an incredibly close, comfortable shave this time using a Crystal blade. I'll keep using it through Saturday's shave and I should have a bit more success.

After reading this thread I took the Meta-4 out for another spin. I had to use a much shallower angle than I was before, but was able to get an incredibly close, comfortable shave this time using a Crystal blade. I'll keep using it through Saturday's shave and I should have a bit more success.

Comfortable it is but for me the lack of feedback makes it very slow going on my head shave, a lot of work in maintaining a productive cutting angle. It's the anti-Prismatic pretty much.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Comfortable it is but for me the lack of feedback makes it very slow going on my head shave, a lot of work in maintaining a productive cutting angle. It's the anti-Prismatic pretty much.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Second use and I had to do an extra pass on the back of my head to get it to acceptable levels, so yes, not a great razor for head shaving.

Can anyone tell me how Atomic Age bay rum compares to Superior 70? I don't like most bay rums because of the clovey notes but I do like Superior 70. I'm looking for a light summery scent for an aftershave and I'm debating between Atomic Age and Garden of Bali star jellies.

Top Bottom