What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I bought some AS samples from PAA in an attempt to glean some insight into what the soap scents might be like but they’re way too alcohol forward to really tell.
I only have Diver Down and F bomb. I did get an aftershave sample of John Frum. I have trouble smelling unless the scent is really strong so I had my wife sniff John Frum. She said it smelled like soap. I will need to apply it and let her sniff it. Don't be surprised if this thread gets moved into the THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread. It is where all PAA threads go to die.

I just checked the listing at PAA and it seems that a lot of thought went into the design. I currently use a ceramic Georgetown G12 scuttle and this looks like it holds the same 12 ounces of water. Indestructible and microwaveable. It certainly cost less than my G12. I say buy it then do a review for everyone else! If my scuttle breaks I might give this one a shot.

Beautiful scuttle the G12..

Just bought it (the Phoenix one that is..) couldn't resist..

$25? Ah, Americans! If you didn't exist, we should have invented you! I have a collapsible silicone grey bowl, which in practice folds in 2 anyway you press it when you need to travel. I paid €2.5 for it...

But the PAA looks nicer with the blue colour for sure. And a bit more cumbersome, but it is a scuttle after all and intergalactic too, so it needs extra space for the dilithium core. Beam me up, PAA! :lol1:

I hope i didn't offend anyone, i just love american marketing. If you like it and think the price is good, why not...

P.S.: Mine didn't come with a nice bag with logo either.

$25? Ah, Americans! If you didn't exist, we should have invented you! I have a collapsible silicone grey bowl, which in practice folds in 2 anyway you press it when you need to travel. I paid €2.5 for it...

But the PAA looks nicer with the blue colour for sure. And a bit more cumbersome, but it is a scuttle after all and intergalactic too, so it needs extra space for the dilithium core. Beam me up, PAA! :lol1:

I hope i didn't offend anyone, i just love american marketing. If you like it and think the price is good, why not...
Doug from PAA really gets into his marketing for sure.

I only have Diver Down and F bomb. I did get an aftershave sample of John Frum. I have trouble smelling unless the scent is really strong so I had my wife sniff John Frum. She said it smelled like soap. I will need to apply it and let her sniff it. Don't be surprised if this thread gets moved into the THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread. It is where all PAA threads go to die.
It could happen.
Nevertheless, I like the soap.

P.S.: Mine didn't come with a nice bag with logo either.
🤪 I have both the paa polypropylene scuttle and a silicone folding petbowl
The pet bowl performs better for making lather as the paa.

when does the paa come in handy, hmmm maybe next year wintersport season.

why.... my stone mortar of 1 kg easily holds temperature when dunked in a hot sink and its surface makes better lather faster. Somehow I do not like the steep narrow shape of the paa.
What does remain if you drop a stone mortar you get lots of damage, the others not so. Heat conduction of polypropylene is low so not burning your hands.

my wish a Pereira bowl no heat retention but should make nice lather and shatterproof or a copper captain bowl might burn your hands though.

🤪 I have both the paa polypropylene scuttle and a silicone folding petbowl
The pet bowl performs better for making lather as the paa.

when does the paa come in handy, hmmm maybe next year wintersport season.

why.... my stone mortar of 1 kg easily holds temperature when dunked in a hot sink and its surface makes better lather faster. Somehow I do not like the steep narrow shape of the paa.
What does remain if you drop a stone mortar you get lots of damage, the others not so. Heat conduction of polypropylene is low so not burning your hands.

my wish a Pereira bowl no heat retention but should make nice lather and shatterproof or a copper captain bowl might burn your hands though.

I am not surprised. Whatever works best. My first shaving bowl, was a dog's food metal bowl. It wasn't my idea. It was coming up as "most sold" in Amazon when searching for shaving bowl. Now i use it to rinse my fingers or brush handle from soap without opening the tap water and transfering the soap there too. Later i bought other bowls, as well as the Proraso plastic mug. For making lather, the dog bowl remains best, because it has vertical side walls. Other bowls i bought have a curve that facilitates the lather to come out of the bowl. The dog's bowl is the best... Not my fault. It is what it is... I simply mostly face lather now, so it doesn't matter much anymore.

I have about 3 soaps and aftershaves in the regular formula and the soaps are really good. Cavendish, 9, Rustlers Ridge, Cucumber, Dapper Doc's, good stuff but too sweet for me. Of course PAA has a bunch of scents so I'm sure there are some that aren't too sweet and since the soap is so good I wouldn't hesitate to try another flavor

What sold me was this:

Well, it certainly does the job. But for the quality of the plastic, i 'd pay max €10. I paid €13 for the Proraso mug, but it's miles better as quality of plastic.

But, i suppose $25 in USA is like peanuts, so i guess it's a reasonable price. My collapsible silicon bowl is way better for travel though. Takes virtually no space.

I have been using mine for nearly a month and love it!! My lather stays nice and warm for two passes. My only complaint is that the rubber plug won't stay in during shaving, and after filling the tank with water. I should be able to find a better plug at Home Depot, or Lowes.

Well I love paa software. Especially the pre shave cubes are a hit. But the hardware so far disappoints by being close and just missing the mark a bit on the details. I had that with the scuttle and with the intergalactic Alluminium slant.
You may pay more, but you also get much more entertainment too! European shops are too boring compared to american ones. My shop was just saying "silicon bowl big". And you have to guess the rest. American shops are much more fun to read!
lol today I was seeing shaving soap with a licorice base.
being dutch they would simply sell it as drop zeep! Nothing more

In the USA they might say
Warning This soap might make Dutch and Scandinavian girls drool all over you!
Legal disclaimer: girls outside of the mentioned region might be observed with vomiting behavior when they come within tasting distance.

I use it very seldom. While warm lather is nice this design is for me too narrow and too deep. I prefer the regular Captain‘s choice or the big Fine ceramic one. What still is on my mind ist the big chunky Pereira bowl.
DA570B35-AFBC-40F9-830D-5A8DC7A2793C.jpeg

I have been using mine for nearly a month and love it!! My lather stays nice and warm for two passes. My only complaint is that the rubber plug won't stay in during shaving, and after filling the tank with water. I should be able to find a better plug at Home Depot, or Lowes.
Some of the handicraft stores sell small cork plugs. Or try Ali
€ 1,72 | Laboratorium Rubber Plug Siliconen Tapered Stoppers Lab Push In Afdichting Plug Rubber Seal Stoppers Moer Schroef Gat Masking M9 M10 m11

I suppose joy has no price! Do it yourself solutions are fine by me... Why throw it away if you can fix it... :thumbup1:

Well I love paa software. Especially the pre shave cubes are a hit. But the hardware so far disappoints by being close and just missing the mark a bit on the details. I had that with the scuttle and with the intergalactic Alluminium slant.

lol today I was seeing shaving soap with a licorice base.
being dutch they would simply sell it as drop zeep! Nothing more

In the USA they might say
Warning This soap might make Dutch and Scandinavian girls drool all over you!
Legal disclaimer: girls outside of the mentioned region might be observed with vomiting behavior when they come within tasting distance.

Oh, my! They also sell "intergalactic" razors? :blink: They don't lack imagination, that is for sure! I hate liquorice. The smell of it, the taste... Why put it in a soap... Poor Dutch girls! :biggrin1:

I use it very seldom. While warm lather is nice this design is for me too narrow and too deep. I prefer the regular Captain‘s choice or the big Fine ceramic one. What still is on my mind ist the big chunky Pereira bowl.
View attachment 1248018

Yes, the depth and angle of the walls is very important in a bowl, i suppose the same applies to scuttle. A nice collection you have there, sir! And i see you have 3 little coins inside the copper one? I imagine to help build lather easier. Nice.

Top Bottom