What's new

The Yaqi BEAST head and 70mm Nickel Handle

Don't be such a tease Roy!

We're all ears. :a21:
And I'm all mouth. :001_302:

Plan is to create a new thread soon. For evaluation of aggressive razors. If I can figure out how to create links, maybe put all my shave-offs in one place and invite others to share theirs too.

Threads can be strange things IME. Like you I always, carefully, check the fit. If it doesn't feel right I won't use it.

I've no idea who does IB's measurements, but I've found several of them to be w-a-y out.

It is indeed very mild, IMO. All I got it for was the cap (my spares box gets heavier by the day :lol1:).
Thanks, Cal.

I don't like mild razors, but that red & black Yaqi looks awesome.

With the holidays coming up, I just don't have time for all my projects. So I'll just share here that the Yaqi Beast performed in ways that surprised me. It has a lot of blade feel. Not quite as much as the Ikon Tech but close (and closer than any other DE razor I've experienced so far). The blade feel is maximized at a steep angle, unlike the Tech which maintains blade feel regardless of angle.

Ran it against the Tech. Ideally I would have had two Ikon OSS handles but I'm away from home and was limited, so I took the Fendrihan handle from the Mark-I (which is similar to the Ikon handle) and paired it with the Yaqi.

In terms of performance the Beast didn't live up to its name but that could be technique. I'm going to keep playing with this razor. When I ran it at the steep angle that produced the excellent blade feel, it seemed to skip over two days of beard stubble. Of course this is with my standard Dorco 301 blade. With a sharper blade it might do better. When I changed the angle it cut more effectively but lost blade feel. As I said, this one warrants additional exploration.

The result this first time out was a shave that was noticeably less close than with the Tech and which was harder to achieve. Throughout the day I could feel the difference. However now, 24 hours later, the difference has essentially evaporated. And even though it wasn't as close as the iTech, it was still a darn good shave.

My sense is that with improved technique and a better blade, this razor could be a high flier. Won't know for sure without more effort, but that's pretty astounding for a $4 head (that costs almost as much to ship as to buy).

As for build quality, I know it's just Zamac but the plating is nice.

20181121_125413.jpg
20181121_125409.jpg

That's it on the right (with the Ikon Tech on the left).

If I can figure out how to make this things sing, will wind up in my rotation. If I can't, it will wind up in my drawer. Will update when I have time to use it again. Have some new razors coming and, sadly, just one face.

Yes, the "mellon" head is fairly mild. Very comfortable and about the efficiency of an EJ DE89.
Well, I guess it makes sense why I was having so much trouble getting it to cut through two days beard growth. Really liked the blade feel. Hopefully the trust Beast will match or exceed the blade feel and mow everything down. If so, maybe it will be the one to finally stand toe-to-toe with the mighty Ikon.

+1
Still a nice review.

The beast head will be much more aggressive than the one they sent you.
Thanks. Still rolling my eyes at myself, feeling beyond foolish.

On the bright side, your second observation. Can't wait to take it for a spin.

Thanks. Still rolling my eyes at myself, feeling beyond foolish.

On the bright side, your second observation. Can't wait to take it for a spin.

Yeah, now you can look forward to the beast head with even more anticipation.

Yes, the "mellon" head is fairly mild. Very comfortable and about the efficiency of an EJ DE89.
Well, I guess it makes sense why I was having so much trouble getting it to cut through two days beard growth. Really liked the blade feel. Hopefully the trust Beast will match or exceed the blade feel and mow everything down. If so, maybe it will be the one to finally stand toe-to-toe with the mighty Ikon.
upload_2018-11-23_14-35-23.png

The "mellon" head is a double open comb (DOC) Roy. Link. You don't have that one. :hand:

Last edited:
@Parallax
Hey Roy, we need your vote hereupload_2018-11-23_14-37-51.png. And going by your general MO, I think you need to join up too. :letterk1: :laugh:

What of the heck! :001_tt2:

Last edited:
Mystery solved. I'm daffy but not totally insane.

The razor reviewed above was not the Yaqi Beast. It wasn't in fact a Yaqi at all but rather another head I'd recently ordered -- the Matador Aggressive.

So everything I wrote applies. Just to a different razor. As I said, great blade feel but getting it to cut thick stubble was a challenge. Will keep working it.

In a way this is a disappointment because I figured if that was the blade feel of the Mellon, the Beast must be amazing. But since it wasn't the Mellon, the Beast thus far remains a complete mystery, a total enigma, an ineluctable quandry. (But thankfully not -- at least as yet -- a travesty of a mockery of a sham.)

Just found this old thread. Have had the Yaqi Beast for a while now and have really enjoyed it. Incredible value and nice aggressive but not rough shave. I've now got Scott's (@pbrmhl)'s stainless PAA DOC Evo, and at some point will run them back to back. My guess is the DOC Evo will prove more aggressive but there's no point in prejudging. Tomorrow the DOC Evo goes up against the Ikon Tech.

Top Bottom