What's new

The Yaqi BEAST head and 70mm Nickel Handle

You're welcome. Please let us know how it turns out. If you write something, please be sure to tag me so I see it.

Sure, will do.
I'll try my karve first once it arrives and then see how I go. I'm after that one perfect daily razor I can grab and shave without thinking.
Soaps and brushes are another matter :D

Now isn't this interesting?

The handle you have is the exact length as a Fatip Piccolo's (70mm), is made of brass like the Piccolo's, nickel plated like the Piccolo's, and even appears to have the same longitudinal lines as the Piccolo! Besides the concentric rings placed differently, it does seem to share a great deal in common with it.

The only thing I'm not sure of, is the diameters: Yaqi claim 12mm, but I have not found the Piccolo's diameter online. However a quick rough check of my Piccolo with a ruler (sorry, no mic here), seems to show it to be around 5/16ths to 3/8ths of an inch in diameter, or around 8-10mm. This seems to be what I'm seeing in comparing the pictures, that the Yaqi is a bit larger in diameter.

Comparing weights, the Yaqi lists 55gr to the Piccolo handle's 65gr. This leads me to believe the Yaqi may indeed be brass, but hollow brass to the Piccolo's solid brass. But at 55 grams, that still is reasonably heft for such a short handle.

Finally, as mentioned above, the Yaqi & Piccolo have the same base material (brass) and plating (nickel).

All of this leads to my loving everything about my Piccolo handle, except it being just a bit small in diameter for my tastes. However, the all brass nickel-plated Yaqi seems to be somewhat of a Piccolo clone or emulator, but with a slightly thicker diameter. In fact, this is exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks for your review, bringing this to my attention. :thumbsup:

Sweet! Glad I could help.
The handle is indeed hefty for its size. And surprisingly well balanced with the heavy Rockwell head.

Sure, will do.
I'll try my karve first once it arrives and then see how I go. I'm after that one perfect daily razor I can grab and shave without thinking.
Soaps and brushes are another matter :D

Sweet! Glad I could help.
The handle is indeed hefty for its size. And surprisingly well balanced with the heavy Rockwell head.
My only regret is it probably won't fit a Fatip head ...

My only regret is it probably won't fit a Fatip head ...
Oh I see.
That's a bummer! It's a great little handle.
But it likely will fit my non-Fatip heads! :thumbsup:
"Standard" threads are either UNF 10-32 or (metric) M5 x 0.8mm (which are compatible in most cases). Fatip threads are (metric) M4.5 x 0.75mm.

Threads are strange things, unless you're an expert (which I am not), and unlikely things often happen.

The Yaqi mini handle does actually fit the Fatip. The threads are a tad looser than its dedicated handle, but should be fine as long as it's tightened up sensibly (finger tight only) and not like a car lug nut (which so many people seem to do :001_rolle).
upload_2018-11-19_16-43-9.png

Yaqi's measurements of 70mm x 12mm and 55g are correct.
The Piccolo handle is 75mm x 10mm and 42g.

Red Bakelite top cap and handle? That is custom.
It's just another Yaqi zinc alloy cap, but in red. :wink2:

:laugh: Like so many in the DE shaving world I see that you (unwittingly probably) enjoy pushing my buttons with that dreadful phrase "top cap." In my strange little world caps always go on the top. Also, in my strange little world, each of the three pieces (of three piece DE razors) have the following names (from top down): cap, baseplate (all one word), and handle.

Rant over.:letterk1: Just remember your DE razors' "top caps" the next time you put on your "foot shoes." :lol1:

It's just another Yaqi zinc alloy cap, but in red. :wink2:

:laugh: Like so many in the DE shaving world I see that you (unwittingly probably) enjoy pushing my buttons with that dreadful phrase "top cap." In my strange little world caps always go on the top. Also, in my strange little world, each of the three pieces (of three piece DE razors) have the following names (from top down): cap, baseplate (all one word), and handle.

Rant over.:letterk1: Just remember your DE razors' "top caps" the next time you put on your "foot shoes." :lol1:
:yikes:

(Time to put on my foot shoes and exit through the sidedoor.) :001_tt2:

Last edited:
"Standard" threads are either UNF 10-32 or (metric) M5 x 0.8mm (which are compatible in most cases). Fatip threads are (metric) M4.5 x 0.75mm.

Threads are strange things, unless you're an expert (which I am not), and unlikely things often happen.

The Yaqi mini handle does actually fit the Fatip. The threads are a tad looser than its dedicated handle, but should be fine as long as it's tightened up sensibly (finger tight only) and not like a car lug nut (which so many people seem to do :001_rolle).
View attachment 929067

Great, thanks for adding this info. I'm sure fatip owners will appreciate it.

Thanks for filling in the hard numbers, Cal!

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would fit, or not. I've tried several different handles on my Fatip OC head, and some fit but are a little tight, or a little loose. So, I get a bit nervous for longevity.

But that being said, I can't wait to get the Yaqi handle in my hand and try it out! :thumbsup:

View attachment 929067
Thanks again for this, Cal. I got the Piccolo's 70mm lenght from the IB site, and also Alex' Fatip handle compatibility chart. I don't remember where I got the 65gr weight from, last night. But either way, I'm happy to accept your numbers.

Just wondering: Do you know if the Yaqi handle is solid?

My beast is due in tomorrow. Plan to run it straight up against my den-Lord, the Ikon Tech over the 2 days of beard growth I've been saving up. If I can defer gratification, maybe three.

Thanks for filling in the hard numbers, Cal!

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would fit, or not. I've tried several different handles on my Fatip OC head, and some fit but are a little tight, or a little loose. So, I get a bit nervous for longevity.

But that being said, I can't wait to get the Yaqi handle in my hand and try it out! :thumbsup:

Thanks again for this, Cal. I got the Piccolo's 70mm lenght from the IB site, and also Alex' Fatip handle compatibility chart. I don't remember where I got the 65gr weight from, last night. But either way, I'm happy to accept your numbers.

Just wondering: Do you know if the Yaqi handle is solid?

Cal's numbers match the Piccolo and Yaqi numbers from my calipers and scale. P = 75mm - 43g and Y = 70 mm - 56g are my readings.

The Yaqi handle is definitely solid; not that I have drilled through it to check. If you calculate rough handle volumes (assuming they are perfect cylinders), the ratio of volumes is very close to the ratio of weights. Therefore both are solid. For comparison, a hollow 79mm Gillette ball end handle weighs about 29g.

IMHO, the Yaqi M5x0.8mm threaded handle can be poorly attached to the Piccolo head, but it does not "fit". Over time (or immediately if you like to torque things down) the threads will be damaged on one part or the other - probably both. And Cal will have to buy you a new top cap. And/or a new bottom handle. But not a base plate.

Threads can be strange things IME. Like you I always, carefully, check the fit. If it doesn't feel right I won't use it.
Thanks again for this, Cal. I got the Piccolo's 70mm length from the IB site ...
I've no idea who does IB's measurements, but I've found several of them to be w-a-y out.
Damn. That is a sweet looking razor, right there. Can I assume that's the very mild head? Any idea?
It is indeed very mild, IMO. All I got it for was the cap (my spares box gets heavier by the day :lol1:).

IMHO, the Yaqi M5x0.8mm threaded handle can be poorly attached to the Piccolo head, but it does not "fit". Over time (or immediately if you like to torque things down) the threads will be damaged on one part or the other - probably both.
Probably just semantics here John, but I would say it fits "poorly."
And Cal will have to buy you a new top cap. And/or a new bottom handle. But not a base plate.
:lol: I see what you did there John. I think my buttons are starting to grow calluses.

I've had the Beast for a while and I think it's a great shaver. You definitely feel the blade, but it's not uncomfortable. It's super efficient and provides an incredibly close shave. Unfortunately I do not have a Muhle or Fatip to compare it to.

If the postman arrives soon, I'll run the Beast against the Ikon Tech and report back.

This particular rat hole into which I've fallen, the search for a razor that can match or exceed the iTech for efficiency, is my obsession du jour (except, more fairly, it's du mois or de l'année). Ah well, if ever there were a place for it . . .

Top Bottom