What's new

The Virginia Gentlemen

Welcome Mike. That is quite a set of deployments. You have earned our thanks and admiration for doing what most would dare not!

Don't worry if you haven't picked your favorites. Razors are like Mark Twain's watches. A man with one razor knows which is his favorite. A man with more than one is never sure. Its the quest that makes it fun.

I thought I had arrested my RAD. But it's picked back up as of late. A birth year Super Speed ('56), then a birth year Blue Tip. Then going further back in time for vintage razors, my latest acquisitions were a Gillette Fat-handled, Pre-war Tech and a Gillette "NEW" style long comb.

Never thought of myself as a fan of the open comb, but the NEW is just a fabulous shaver. I finished up the one-blade-in-Feburary challenge with the NEW and I don't think I would have gotten to 28 shaves if I hadn't moved the Wizamet Super Iridium to the NEW for the last three shaves. Shave 29 was today and then I pulled it.

For March I want to see how long I can ride out a NOS Schick Double Edge in a Schick Krona.

I've got three NEWs in my collection, two long combs and a short. I've only shaved with the short comb a few times but each has been a damn fine shave. I've several Old Types and three New Improved so I expect to become well acquainted with the open comb.

Just to try and get some more activity around here...

It is still quite cold in most of our state but Spring is just around the corner. What is everyone's favorite winter and spring scent for soaps or aftershaves?

I love Tabac and think it makes for a great fall/winter scent but I am not sure that will hold as true for spring/summer. I am planning on trying aqua velva and Osage rub AS this summer. Perhaps for spring I can acclimate myself to Lilac Vegetal.

Do you guys have any favorites for winter you have to make good use of in the next weeks or scents you can't wait to break out this spring/summer?

Clubman, Bootlegger's Bay Rum, Masters Challenge, Avon Deep Woods, and Haston Z-14 after shave are my cool weather splashes. And I use more balms in the winter. I'll shift over to the more menthol-based after shaves as it warms. But I am not a strict follower of winter scent/summer scent. I'll splash on what I feel like because the AS scents don't linger that long.

I am a little more selective with colognes though, in regards to cool weather/warm weather scents. And in that respect, I'll miss the winter because my favorite colognes are more suited for colder temps.

Update, I received my first order a week ago and absolutely impressed with the quality of my EJ Kelvin. Seems very mild during use but I end up with a very nice shave. So far I've used two different blades out of the sampler pack I got, GSB's and Astra SP's. I found the GSB's to be pretty aggressive but not so much as the Derby Extras. The Astra SP's are magnificent! DFS with them for 4 days now, including a head shave. Put me in the group that loves the performance AND smell of Arko.

Of note, I'm back in the Commonwealth this week on a work trip! VA just has a different feel to it that I love!

Welcome Mike. That is quite a set of deployments. You have earned our thanks and admiration for doing what most would dare not!

Don't worry if you haven't picked your favorites. Razors are like Mark Twain's watches. A man with one razor knows which is his favorite. A man with more than one is never sure. Its the quest that makes it fun.

Thanks Mike! I appreciate it! Those were just the combat deployments. Many vets in VA that deserve the honor much more than me but still, thanks for the kind words!

Advice well recieved eve don the razor. Really like the Kelvin but already mapping my next razor. Thinking a vintage Gillette this time!

Thinking a vintage Gillette this time!

That's the way to go. I participated in the "One Blade in February" challenge. Started the challenge out with a recently acquired Gillette Pre-war, Fat-Handled Tech, and wrapped up with another recent acquisition, A Gillette NEW style, Long Comb razor. Both provide great shaves. You can't go wrong with either of those.

I also picked up a 1957 Gillette Red Tip, but have yet to shave with it. I was on the hunt for a birth-year razor (1956) but this one was in too good of shape to pass up.

Currently, I'm trying to go through the entire month of March with a single razor, a Schick Krona. Right now it's loaded with a NOS Schick double-edge blade. If I can get the blade to double figures, I'll be impressed. Anything beyond that is a bonus. I got the Krona back in July of 2105 and only shaved with it 5 times before pulling it out of rotation. Too few shaves to really form an impression. Now, seven shaves into March, I'm starting to like this under rated TTO razor. Pairs nicely with the factory installed blade.

That's the way to go. I participated in the "One Blade in February" challenge. Started the challenge out with a recently acquired Gillette Pre-war, Fat-Handled Tech, and wrapped up with another recent acquisition, A Gillette NEW style, Long Comb razor. Both provide great shaves. You can't go wrong with either of those.

I also picked up a 1957 Gillette Red Tip, but have yet to shave with it. I was on the hunt for a birth-year razor (1956) but this one was in too good of shape to pass up.

Currently, I'm trying to go through the entire month of March with a single razor, a Schick Krona. Right now it's loaded with a NOS Schick double-edge blade. If I can get the blade to double figures, I'll be impressed. Anything beyond that is a bonus. I got the Krona back in July of 2105 and only shaved with it 5 times before pulling it out of rotation. Too few shaves to really form an impression. Now, seven shaves into March, I'm starting to like this under rated TTO razor. Pairs nicely with the factory installed blade.

The fat boy tech has intrigued me from what I've read on here but seems like the open comb might be a avenue based on my head shaving. Maybe I'll go for both!

When I travel, which isn't often anymore, I like to stop at small independent drug stores and check out the shave section. Today I went to Charlottesville to pick my step-son up from UVA and stopped at Timberlake Pharmacy in the downtown mall. Glad I did. A good assortment of shave related items, predominately soaps, brushes, aftershaves and colognes. I pick up Tabac AS, cologne and shave cream, 20% off. Sorry I passed on the soap. I have two pucks, but $12 is a good price.

Anyway, if you find yourself in the area, stop by and support them. CVS, Rite-Aid, and Walgreens don't carry what Timberlake carries.

First Name? Michael
What is your Virginia connection? Lived here all my life
What do you do? Law Enforcement
What are your favorite soaps/creams/brushes/razors/
Soap- TOBS Sandlewood and Merkur 34C
Hobbies- Gymrat, gamer, and part time movie buff

About me- I got into wet shaving a year ago after 6 years working in a job that requires me to be clean shaven my face couldn't take a cartridge razor or an electric razor anymore. I switched to a DE safety razor an never looked back. I recently purchased a straight razor from Frank Misa. I can't wait to get that an try shaving with a straight razor.

Name: Joseph
VA. Connection: went to college here; lived here since 1994
Favorite College Team: I root for them all
What Do you Do: sales
Brush: Simpson, Omega
Soaps/Creams: Proraso, TOBS, MWF, Tabac, AOS, Formula T
A/S: Proraso-Green, Asorted Proraso Balms, Geo F. Trumpers Skin Food, Clubman, AOS, Tabac
Razor: Merkurs - 34c, 34c, Gillete TravelRazor
Favorite Blade: Feather
Where I Hail From: Central Va
Acquisition Disorder: Soaps, Creams & Matching A/S-balms
Tell Us a Little About Yourself: Family man, coach, love the outdoors, Father, Husband, Hunter, Fisherman, enjoy BBQ ING, Former Marine

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Hey Virginia Gents, I'm driving from NOVA down to Hampton tomorrow. Are there any good B&M places to get shaving stuff down that way or maybe in the Richmond area?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
We'll do, but I'm not optimistic. Google hasn't turned any leads. Apparently there used to be a place in Williamsburg called London Bathecary, but it's gone now.

Hi, my name's Steve, and I've lived here in the Commonwealth since 2000, shortly after meeting my lovely wife. I am a refugee from NJ, where I grew up and spent most of my life. I am currently a teacher in Fairfax County, and my hobbies include cooking, photography, brewing beer, skiing, and shooting. I also love vintage audio equipment, and playing guitar. May I call myself a Virginia Gentleman?

Welcome Steve. You already know you are a Virginia Gentleman so please call yourself that! I was born in NJ but never actually resided there. I'm in the southern part of VA but its all beautiful. Lots of great hobbies to keep yourself busy.

Top Bottom