What's new

The Virginia Gentlemen

Anybody know any good honemiesters in the Hampton Roads area? Just picked up my first straight and it needs an edge.

I don't know of one, but there is a barber supply store in Norfolk, Norva Barber Supply. I don't think they sharpen, but they might know someone who does. Good luck with the straight.

Not a lot of activity over here in the Virginia Gentleman's club lately - but I wanted to wish everyone a safe, happy, and prosperous New Year!

Be safe if you are out and about tonight - Have (or be) a designated driver if you are celebrating with alcohol!

I second that wish for a happy Virginia New Year, wherever you are! Lots to look forward to in the coming year.

We're spending a quiet night at home, but going out to breakfast to celebrate the start of a New Year.

1. First Name? Aaron
2. What is your Virginia connection? Lived here since 1997.
3. What State Team do you root for? VT Football and GMU Basketball
4. What do you do? Analyst for Fairfax County
5. What are your favorite soaps/creams/brushes/razors/
Soap:
still new to DE shaving so haven't tried a lot. Recently tried Mike's Natural Lemongrass and The Blades Grim smolder
Cream: The only one I tried so far is C.O. Bigelow
Brushes: Pure badger that came from a kit and Satin The Purest, which has been impressive
Aftershaves: Used Nivea in the past but just switched to Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented
Razors: Merkur 23c
6. What are your worst acquisition disorders if any? it would have to be soaps, but my wife is thinking it's an obsession at this point and she has kindly asked that I slow the purchasing down a little bit.

Tell us a little about yourself?
I live in the Northern VA area, married with 2 beautiful kids so things are a little busy around here.

For those in the path of the impending 'winter event' ... hunker down, and ride it out. Hope it isn't as bad as they say it may be - but be safe - just in case!

We seem to be on the rain/snow borderline, at least for Friday night. Should have some snow tomorrow, but probably not until after noon. Hopefully they'll send us home early. Then hunkering will be in order!

1. First Name? Ron
2. What is your Virginia connection?
Born in Roanoke, raised and educated in Salem, lived in Northern VA since 1988
3. What State Team do you root for? Not a sports follower
4. What do you do? Retired
5. What are your favorite soaps/creams/brushes/razors/
Soap:
Cella, Catie's Bubbles
Cream: Proraso, TOBS
Brushes: Badgers and Synthetics
Aftershaves: all balms -- Nivea, Musgo Real, Proraso, La Toya
Razors: 16 modern (4 Merkurs, an EJ, 2 Parkers, a Feather Popular, a Weishi, 4 Maggard, an Above the Tie, a Blackland Blackbird, a Timor and a Fatip) and 43 vintage (Old Types, New Improved, New, various Techs, Super Speeds, Adjustables (3 Fatboys), a couple Rockets, a Schick Korona, an Adjustable Injector and a Wilkinson Sticky
6. What are your worst acquisition disorders if any? Pretty obvious: DEs; not so obvious: soaps, creams

I served 21 years in the Air Force (as a personnel technician and public affairs photojournalist/spokesperson), retiring as a Master Sergeant and then was military editor for a publishing company in DC and Maryland.

Hobbies:
reading (science fiction/fantasy/horror [with a more than casual interest in steampunk], mystery, history (ancient and modern [civil war/indian wars/WWII]) and writing

Last edited:
Welcome, Ron. That's a lot of razors. Which ones are in rotation the most often? Do you have a favorite?

Thanks for the welcome. I've gotten all the razors since Dec 6th last year and I'm still testing them out. My rotation consists of a new razor about three times as week (depending upon when I get around to cleaning the eBay purchases) and alternating between the ones I like most. Of the moderns my favorites are the Merkur 34C, the Edwin Jagger DE87BL and the Maggard V3A head paired with the MR22 handle. I really like my pre-war Tech, 40s Super Speed, Fatboy and Slim Adjustable. If I needed to make a thoughtless grab for a razor it would probably be the Merkur or the Tech. They both give great, irritation-free shaves.

Welcome Ron. Looks like you have your work cut out for you sorting through all those DEs!

Thanks, Mike. You've got that right! It's all worth the effort, even if I do hit a stumbling block every now and then (like the Merkur Futur or the Fatip Testina Gentile).

Welcome! You have managed to amass quite the collection!

I had at least a moderate case of razor acquisition disorder until my purchase of a Feather ASD2, now it is on to soaps... although perhaps I should try an ATT. Hmm...

Welcome! You have managed to amass quite the collection!

I had at least a moderate case of razor acquisition disorder until my purchase of a Feather ASD2, now it is on to soaps... although perhaps I should try an ATT. Hmm...

Thanks, HikerDoc. I think I'm slowing down on the razors, though I've got my eye on a couple of British beauties, and now I'm trying to rein in my galloping soap/cream AD....

Yeah, you should probably try an ATT.

I thought I had arrested my RAD. But it's picked back up as of late. A birth year Super Speed ('56), then a birth year Blue Tip. Then going further back in time for vintage razors, my latest acquisitions were a Gillette Fat-handled, Pre-war Tech and a Gillette "NEW" style long comb.

Never thought of myself as a fan of the open comb, but the NEW is just a fabulous shaver. I finished up the one-blade-in-Feburary challenge with the NEW and I don't think I would have gotten to 28 shaves if I hadn't moved the Wizamet Super Iridium to the NEW for the last three shaves. Shave 29 was today and then I pulled it.

For March I want to see how long I can ride out a NOS Schick Double Edge in a Schick Krona.

First Name? Mike
What is your Virginia connection? Grew up in NOVA from 72-91 when I joined the Marine Corps. Still have family there.
What do you do? Been in the Marines since 1991.
What are your favorite soaps/creams/brushes/razors/
Soap: I have not tried many since I'm still new at this but so far, Williams pucks.
Cream: Have not tried one yet.
Brushes: I have two but haven't decided yet.
Aftershaves: Easy, Old Spice as it ties me to my father and grandfather.
Razors: I haven't decided yet. I'm currently using my beginners VDH TTO but I ordered a EJ Kelvin from Amazon that should arrive tomorrow along with a Col Conk's soap variety pack and two Tubes of Arko. Excited!
What are your worst acquisition disorders if any? N/A yet but I feel this weird twinge in my gut.

So, I grew up in Sterling which is near Dulles. Graduated Park View High School and joined the Marines. Ended up as an artilleryman and was stationed in sunny SoCal for the next 9 years. Moved to NC, now married and with 3 kids. In 2003 I applied for and became a Warrant Officer in 2004. Back to SoCal and off to Iraq from 04-05. Safely back to SoCal only to turn around and go back from 07-08. Moved to the Mohave Desert until 2011 when I came back to NC. Immediately left for Afghanistan from 11-12. Looking forward to seeing where I head next, hoping for a final posting to Quantico back home again to finish out a career! I'm a rabid Caps fan and Skins fan. Fishing, kayaking and golfing are hobbies as well. And of course, proud to be a Virginian!

Top Bottom