What's new

The Veg: Am I chosen?

After a response by Bhugo to a thread of mine, I decided he was right; I'm going to try the Veg sometime. Might as well be now.

When I got home last night, I had a box waiting for me with three items inside: TOBS Mr. Taylor talc, TOBS peppermint shaving cream, and the one I was anticipating...A big green bottle of Lilac Vegetal.

I've gone on record already, in my short time here, saying I'm not a huge fan of Pinaud Clubman (or Canoe). I have lurked here for a long time, and read threads about cats peeing on corpses, old ladies covered in old garbage, and the lingering smell of death all having odors preferable to this stuff.

I bought this bottle just to prove to myself that I don't ever need to think about it again. I was already planning, after sniffing the bottle and getting sick to my stomach, to dump some of it in my daughter's cat's litter box, just to see if it would bury it.

Instead, I unscrewed the cap, and smelled....lilacs. Who knew? Smells just like a condensed version of the lilac bush in my front yard. This morning, not willing to commit fully, I just slathered a little on one arm and wrist, and went about my day.

Now, 13 hours later, I still get a faint scent of powdery lilac.

I get the funeral home connotation. I'm old enough to have been to enough funerals to have that sickly floral scent embedded deeply in my mind. I get a little of that from this stuff. Truth be told, though, I also get it when my wife's flowers are blooming in the Spring.

So would I wear it in my rotation? No. But not because I get anything offensive from the odor. I just don't want to smell like a strong bouquet of flowers everywhere I go. Just not my thing.

But if you like floral scents, I personally get that scent - and nothing else - from this stuff. I'll keep the bottle around to let friends get a whiff and hopefully encourage some funny vomiting, and I might still see what the cat thinks of it. But it's not bad, to my nose. Not even that controversial. It's just not my thing.

So what does that mean? Am I chosen, or not chosen?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Being "chosen" means you have to go through this long Celtic Stone Hinge ritual of rites thing. The ceremony is long and there's lots of chanting.

Being "chosen" means you have to go through this long Celtic Stone Hinge ritual of rites thing. The ceremony is long and there's lots of chanting.

Ok thanks. Kind of like the Burning Man thing, except with less weed smoking and bongo playing. I was afraid of that. I really don't want to have more than 8 bucks into being chosen.

I'd like to find out if I'm chosen or not. I just can't seem to convince myself to spend the $8 on a gamble. One day maybe...

I'd be willing to send this bottle at no cost to you (although the bottle of Captain's Choice I PIF'd to another member a week ago still hasn't gotten there 🙄), with only the proviso you send it on to someone else who wanted to try it...

If there isn't one currently floating around, we could have a traveling bottle of the Veg, to see who is converted, who is sickened, who is indifferent.

Probably be 3-5 bucks to send it each time, so it doesn't make much financial sense. But it would be fun, and since when are wet shavers all about financial sense, anyway?

The Order of the Traveling Veg.

Last edited:
[MENTION=109551]Unleaded[/MENTION],

If your Lilac Vegetal is in a plastic bottle, check out the threads about decanting the stuff into glass. It may change the scent for the better.
[MENTION=108270]TriggerMan[/MENTION] is running a decanting experiment even as we speak....

Congrats and Welcome to the Veg Table.

Thanks for that review, it was one of the more descriptive ones. I now have a general idea of what it smells like. Others who only said cart urine or dead body weren't really helpful. Dead body is a smell you never forget and nothing else smells like it, especially shaving products.

Or you just check in the mirror...

$Chosen by the Veg.jpg

:001_smile

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Can affirm the Veg causes hallucinations, but in a bad way.

It's awesome that John Wayne wore it, but. Unless I mix it with a bunch of Lime Sec, it's too powdery-urinal-cakey for me.

AA

I'd be willing to send this bottle at no cost to you (although the bottle of Captain's Choice I PIF'd to another member a week ago still hasn't gotten there ), with only the proviso you send it on to someone else who wanted to try it...

If there isn't one currently floating around, we could have a traveling bottle of the Veg, to see who is converted, who is sickened, who is indifferent.

Probably be 3-5 bucks to send it each time, so it doesn't make much financial sense. But it would be fun, and since when are wet shavers all about financial sense, anyway?

The Order of the Traveling Veg.

First of all...nothing we do here makes any kind of financial sense. A month or so ago I just spent two sawbucks on sniffing a bunch of colognes, perfumes, and aftershaves. A pass-around box that is going on in the fragrance forum).

The first time I tried the Veg I was like you. I rather liked it but not something I wanted to wear day in and day out. The wife hated it even. Anyway...I won a bottle in a PIF from @<a href="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/member.php?u=93851" target="_blank">Al_S</a> and the caveat was that you had to do a Video review...which I enjoyed doing See Below for video I uploaded to YouTube...I have yet to do another one...maybe I should. I kept the bottle (later put in a PIF box) and decided to continue the tradition of the video PIF and Veg. I think it went on to a few people like that and then the videos died off.

Anyway...I think you are Chosen.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, there's no ceremony. C'mon, now. No need to make it more than it is.

Next someone will be claiming you have to be baptized in the Veg.

Unleaded, you're chosen.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
No, there's no ceremony. C'mon, now. No need to make it more than it is.

Next someone will be claiming you have to be baptized in the Veg.

Unleaded, you're chosen.

Ha...it's an Illuminati/Templar thing for the really chosen. Very secret.

Top Bottom