What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

brucered

System Generated
I've been away from the forum for a long time since getting a job that keeps me busy enough that I don't have the time to sit here and lurk all day

You don't have to sit here and lurk all day, just pop in every once in a while with some BBQ pics.

Today was burgers on Artisan buns, topped with smoked cheese, grilled onions and jalapeños. A side of baby cucumbers with Greek Dressing and feta.

So much for letting the Smoked Cheese age. We used two hunks this week for Grilled Cheese and then cracked open another today. I'll be smoking some more cheese shortly, weather permitting, it's delicious.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1429922801413.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1429922801413.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My three half blocks I vac sealed are still in the fridge. :thumbup:

But I'm the only one eating the other half blocks. :lol:

Did my first shoulder for pulled pork. I'd always used bone in Boston butts.

Ten pounds, got it at cash and carry, about a buck and a quarter a pound. There was skin still on, I trimmed it off and left as much fat as possible. Rubbed and only let sit for a couple hours, I figured to start at 3pm and finish about midnight-ish. Went on the 22" Weber Kettle, minion and apple wood. No basting or mopping. Only the second time I've had a thermometer that told me both food and "smoker" temps.

Had a one runaway temp when I didn't seat the lid right, got over 300 for a little bit, but mostly between 240-260.

Well it's Seven Freaking AM and it's just now at 198F. I'm going to get that last two degrees if I have to use a blowtorch. It stalled twice, once at about 160F and then again at about 175.

I know it's mostly a wait and monitor game, but this turned into a little bit of an ordeal with getting up every couple hours to check and add charcoal. An hour of resting (for the shoulder, that is, once it comes in), then I'm going to pull it with Bear Paws and get some sleep.

Congratulations TG you are going to enjoy that butt.

After about 4 hours of smoke its safe to pull the meat and toss it in a regular oven, especially if you are fighting with it. Next one is going to be easy!

Another tip that might be worth mentioning. It's usually a good idea to wait to pull/ shred the meat until the last minute before serving, to keep it from drying out prematurely. You can accomplish this by wrapping in tin foil, placing it in a cooler, and wrapping some towels around the foiled meat. It will stay hot for hours that way.

Jim actually had a great idea to pre heat the cooler with hot water, dump it out, then add the foiled meat, towels, etc.

You can also do what's called a Texas crutch, where you wrap the meat in foil while cooking to get it up to optimum temp faster. Just make sure you get the right amount of smoke and color on the meat before crutching.

I am doing some quick ribs this afternoon. Baby backs, silver skin peeled. Plowboys Yardbird rub. Weber gas grill (insert "gasp" here). Have a foil packet of apple wood trimmings for smoke. Ribs will get 20-30 minutes of smoke, then foiled and go another hour or so. Will unfoil and baste with a bit of Countryside bbq sauce. This last bit will set a glaze and finish them up. This will be about two hours of grill time. I prefer a full-blown smoking session but stumbled upon the ribs late and just couldn't resist. I will serve these with peppered bacon potato salad and cold beer. Oh and perhaps some garlic bread.

Another tip that might be worth mentioning. It's usually a good idea to wait to pull/ shred the meat until the last minute before serving, to keep it from drying out prematurely. You can accomplish this by wrapping in tin foil, placing it in a cooler, and wrapping some towels around the foiled meat. It will stay hot for hours that way.

Jim actually had a great idea to pre heat the cooler with hot water, dump it out, then add the foiled meat, towels, etc.

You can also do what's called a Texas crutch, where you wrap the meat in foil while cooking to get it up to optimum temp faster. Just make sure you get the right amount of smoke and color on the meat before crutching.

Congratulations TG you are going to enjoy that butt.

After about 4 hours of smoke its safe to pull the meat and toss it in a regular oven, especially if you are fighting with it. Next one is going to be easy!

Thanks, Jim and Christopher, it turned out great, and I was resisting using "The Crutch" because I like a crunchy bark and out of sheer mule headed stubbornness.

Thanks, Jim and Christopher, it turned out great, and I was resisting using "The Crutch" because I like a crunchy bark and out of sheer mule headed stubbornness.

I completely understand. I love the taste of smoke and all, but I would BBQ far lees if a crunchy bark wasn't in the pay off. I'm a bark head through and through. I like the outside two ribs the best, or any outside piece of any meat with bark. Burnt ends are my favorite :thumbup:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Just as a reference. This photo shows 10lbs of chicken fajita and 3 full racks of pork ribs. I still have 10 lbs of beef fajitas, 8 lbs of loaded ribs, 4 lbs of sausage and 2 NY Strips to go!!! I just hope I have enough beer!!!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 63
Just as a reference. This photo shows 10lbs of chicken fajita and 3 full racks of pork ribs. I still have 10 lbs of beef fajitas, 8 lbs of loaded ribs, 4 lbs of sausage and 2 NY Strips to go!!! I just hope I have enough beer!!!

Are you by chance catering a sumo wrestling awards banquet?

martym

Pretty close: All of the in-laws!!! Haha!!
there r 12 adults here and 4 kids and all will take home food and some for the neighbors and then some for lunch during the work week.

brucered

System Generated
That is quite the feast. Here I thought I was overdoing it today with Country Style Pork Ribs and Wings.

martym

It's a (uhhh) Texas Thang!!!
Just the beef fajitas left to put on
I wrapped the pork ribs in foil after slathering on Sweet Baby Rays original BBQ sauce.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom