What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread VII- BBQ at the B&B 2015

brucered

System Generated
Montreal Spice rubbed chicken, roasted potatoes and salad. I even had an eager helper who wants to learn to grill.

It was a perfectly done meal but could have tasted like tree bark & pine cones and it still would have been a success in my eyes.

He even learned the importance of criss crossed grill marks :w00t:

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1428965865215.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1428965865215.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 79
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1428965931460.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1428965931460.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Had the second worst rain since Noah today, so I thought it would be a good time to smoke some cheese. 64 degrees and 93% humidity.

Used my offset smoker for the first time for cheese. I like it better than the Wally World water smoker I've used before...I can control the heat a lot better.

Got 6 Kingsford briquettes going, along with a couple of chunks of hickory.

Put on some Pepper Jack, Mild Cheddar, and Extra Sharp Cheddar.

Let it smoke for a bit, about 1 1/2 hours instead of the usual hour I use for the cheap vertical smoker. Put on a couple of more briquettes a couple of times, along with a sprinkle of pecan chips and some apple chunks later. My oven thermometer, that I put on for grill level temps., only goes as low as 150 so I just used the dial one on the lid of the smoker and it didn't get over 100...and just looked at how things were going to adjust the temp. with the intake vent.

About the way I like it to look...think it's done.

Rested for a bit and a slice taken (read that EATEN). Cheese has no smoke ring like meat but it sure picked up the smoke. I'll let it rest in the fridge overnight and see if it's any good tomorrow. :thumbup:

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That sure looks good, might have to do cheese

It is good stuff. The apple wood kinda takes the sharpness out of the hickory. But then I do like the smokiness of hickory and mesquite, even on pork and poultry.

I'm definitely no expert on cheese, but I try and keep the temp. at about 80-90 degrees. That's kinda hard to do in the summer when it's 110 outside.

It is good stuff. The apple wood kinda takes the sharpness out of the hickory. But then I do like the smokiness of hickory and mesquite, even on pork and poultry.

I'm definitely no expert on cheese, but I try and keep the temp. at about 80-90 degrees. That's kinda hard to do in the summer when it's 110 outside.

it really helps to save some old 2 liter bottles and fill/freeze with water to throw in when cold smoking, but even with that I don't even attempt to cold smoke during the middle of summer.

That cheese will be even better in 2-3 weeks.

agreed, I vacuum seal it and then refrigerate for at least a month, really mellows the smoke and evens it out. It's even better after a 3-4 month rest. Pepper jack is my favorite, lends itself to the smoke very nicely.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I did put a water pan on the grid also, and thought about adding some ice cubes but it didn't appear to need it this time. And I remember now that I left it on for almost 2 hours...until it got to looking like I thought it should. I may try a little longer next time and add some ice.

Leave it in the fridge for 3 or 4 months? I don't think it will last 3 or 4 days. :biggrin1:

I do think I'll cut each block in half and vac seal them for storage...then eat all the rest.

brucered

System Generated
Ok, if I'm around this weekend, I may try a simple smoked cheddar.

I have my wife picking up some cheese when she goes shopping today. I told her Mild Cheddar, Medium Cheddar and Mozzarella. Those should be fairly cheap, readily available and appear to be ones that people do.

It's a go for Sunday, supposed to be 0* here, but 16-18* on Saturday.

Any last minute tips or tricks? Add frozen water or ice cubes if needed. Hickory an OK wood to start with.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedcheese/smokedcheese.htm

Looks like 6-8 pieces of lump in the main coal compartment, heat diffuser (pizza stone) on lower grate with an ice pan if needed, cheese on top rack, keep it under 90*, smoke for 60min or so.

Last edited:

I have my wife picking up some cheese when she goes shopping today. I told her Mild Cheddar, Medium Cheddar and Mozzarella. Those should be fairly cheap, readily available and appear to be ones that people do.

Any last minute tips or tricks? Add frozen water or ice cubes if needed. Hickory an OK wood to start with.

Looks like 6-8 pieces of lump in the main coal compartment, heat diffuser (pizza stone) on lower grate with an ice pan if needed, cheese on top rack, keep it under 90*, smoke for 60min or so.

I prefer fruitwood for cheese over hickory, cherry or Apple are good. Hickory can be a little too in your face for cheese IMO, but that's why we make it ourselves, to suit our own tastes.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Sounds like a plan...but I'd use briquettes instead of lump...it won't burn as hot and will last longer.

The nekid whiz is a good reference, especially if you are using your egg. On the fridge getting smoky odors, just wrap the cheese air tight before you put it in the fridge. I sealed mine up with foil yesterday for the overnight rest.

Now that ice was mentioned I do believe I did a batch on the offset last year and put some ice in the water pan. Here's a site that I "loosely" followed:

http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/barbeque-articles/how-to-smoke-cheese/#.VS1HWZNr9c8

I prefer fruitwood for cheese over hickory, cherry or Apple are good. Hickory can be a little too in your face for cheese IMO, but that's why we make it ourselves, to suit our own tastes.

Yup, it's all up to you...mix, match, whatever. If it's a little too smoky the first time use a milder wood on the next cook.

Last edited:

brucered

System Generated
Thanks guys. I'll borrow a few pieces of briquettes or find some and use that. I noticed that's what NakedWhiz was using too.

I have apple and cherry wood, so I'll look around and see what's a good one to start with. My kids and wife like Smoked Cheese so will know what kind of wood they want. They buy it for a treat, so if it turns out, it'll be a nice addition.

Wooohoo, I'm excited to finally try this. Makes the second week I've had to cancel a US road trip, worth staying home.

I guess it's so small an amount of briquettes and wood and only takes an hour or so, I could do two batches. Cut each large brick in half, do hickory for some and cherry or apple for the other. Decisions decisions.

You guys have inspired me to do so many more things on my grill, things I'd have never imagined doing...Thanks to everyone here.

I cut two roasts from the center of a primal chunk of top round for making this, the rest I ground for burgers and bulk ground beef. Rubbed with Mortons Tenderquick and brown sugar and then into the refrigerator for 11 days, turning and massaging daily. Removed and did a 1 hour soak in fresh water changing the water once at the 30 min mark. Patted dry, seasoned with course black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, back into refrigerator overnight. Next morning 4 hours of cold hickory smoke, followed by 8 hours of low warm smoke gradually increasing temps to 200*, until IT reached 155*. I'm happy with the results, next time might lower the finished IT by 5*.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 62
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 61

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That is some fine looking roast. So...apparently you have a commercial grade meat slicer, huh? I bet sammiches are going to be great.

I guess it's so small an amount of briquettes and wood and only takes an hour or so, I could do two batches. Cut each large brick in half, do hickory for some and cherry or apple for the other. Decisions decisions.

Brilliance...sheer brilliance. :thumbup1:

That is some fine looking roast. So...apparently you have a commercial grade meat slicer, huh? I bet sammiches are going to be great

I don't own a slicer, I have the next best thing, a generous neighbor who has one. It's a very nice commercial grade one from Cabelas.

Top Bottom