What's new

The Sprout 2021

Red torch, from territorial seed company.
C88DD658-ED18-47B2-BE3C-74A5E854A68B.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
IMG_20210820_130538400_HDR.jpg
My "Strawberry popcorn" should be delicious, as long as I get it before the thieving racoons do! I've only lost one, and I'm sure it was a squirrel. Seriously, a squirrel. They have NEVER stolen from me until this week.

They probably learned it from the raccoons, doggone it!

FarmerTan

You need to patrol that sucker because want to see the end of this thing.
That is the plan.
Trespassers MIGHT be caught in a live trap from which they may or (most likely) not escape with their lives.

Fortunately, at least in my experience, the masked bandits MUCH prefer sweet corn, which I did not grow this year. My neighbor across the street, to the east of me, grew that this year, as he ALWAYS does. He borrowed my death trap and caught COUNTLESS little rabies carriers in his garden.

You ain't lived until a rabid raccoon walks into your front yard in the middle of the afternoon, right between to barking dachshunds that are tied out, then rambles into your garage to wash his face in a pan of used motor oil! At first I thought it might be a pet, but then I saw how confused it was acting. Even someone as dense as me can figger out that motor oil smells nothing like water!

So: I'm hoping not to have to trap any this year. I'm just kinda done with putting things out of my misery.

I've heard that 'coons actually prefer their sweet corn about 2 days before we humans like to eat 'em, so that's why we get to thinking they won't steal our harvest.

Picked about a half bushel of tomatoes tonight. Going to make salsa and stewed tomatoes mostly this year. Did spaghetti sauce last year; still gots plenty. Used some today for zucchini lasagna. Or rather, my lovely bride did.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That is the plan.
Trespassers MIGHT be caught in a live trap from which they may or (most likely) not escape with their lives.

Fortunately, at least in my experience, the masked bandits MUCH prefer sweet corn, which I did not grow this year. My neighbor across the street, to the east of me, grew that this year, as he ALWAYS does. He borrowed my death trap and caught COUNTLESS little rabies carriers in his garden.

You ain't lived until a rabid raccoon walks into your front yard in the middle of the afternoon, right between to barking dachshunds that are tied out, then rambles into your garage to wash his face in a pan of used motor oil! At first I thought it might be a pet, but then I saw how confused it was acting. Even someone as dense as me can figger out that motor oil smells nothing like water!

So: I'm hoping not to have to trap any this year. I'm just kinda done with putting things out of my misery.

I've heard that 'coons actually prefer their sweet corn about 2 days before we humans like to eat 'em, so that's why we get to thinking they won't steal our harvest.

Picked about a half bushel of tomatoes tonight. Going to make salsa and stewed tomatoes mostly this year. Did spaghetti sauce last year; still gots plenty. Used some today for zucchini lasagna. Or rather, my lovely bride did.

My feral cats food bowls.
3DCE6205-7A61-4DB1-939D-13D9734FEF1C.jpeg

View attachment 1314704
My "Strawberry popcorn" should be delicious, as long as I get it before the thieving racoons do! I've only lost one, and I'm sure it was a squirrel. Seriously, a squirrel. They have NEVER stolen from me until this week.

They probably learned it from the raccoons, doggone it!
Let me know how you like the strawberry popcorn. I grew glass gem popcorn this year and I'm thinking of growing that next year.

I'm thinking of growing that one next year! Very beautiful ears.
I will send you seeds for strawberry popcorn seeds? My stalks grew to pretty incredible heights this year some over 10 feet so keep that in mind.

It was pretty wild seeing some of them standing next to my hop trellis at the same height.

FarmerTan

I was going to offer you some! They surprised us. I have some about 7 ft tall. Most have 3 ears on a stalk! It's decorative, but also delicious.

I actually just bought a blackhawk 1903a corn sheller to make my popcorn harvest easier. Its a cool old piece of cast iron, videos on them are really interesting!

FarmerTan

I actually just bought a blackhawk 1903a corn sheller to make my popcorn harvest easier. Its a cool old piece of cast iron, videos on them are really interesting!
A friend of mine grows blue corn and has an old hand crank grinder and makes corn bread.

FarmerTan

I made Panzanella with these veggies. Posted a pic in what’s for dinner topic.
View attachment 1315369
Oh! I'm moving to your neck of the woods! I will try to remember to post some pics of our next GIANT zucchini we forget to pick on time.
We found one last evening that was too small the evening before, but it had tripled in size in 24 hours!

Oh! I'm moving to your neck of the woods! I will try to remember to post some pics of our next GIANT zucchini we forget to pick on time.
We found one last evening that was too small the evening before, but it had tripled in size in 24 hours!
This is a good recipe for big zucchini. Freezes well also.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
You ever eat raccoon? Greasy, but good barbequed.

As we used to say in South Dakota: "Don't matter whether you get 'em with a gun or a Goodyear. It's all good eatin'."

I once bought a new turkey fryer and it had a request from the company tucked inside, to provide them with a recipe. They promised a free copy of the eventual cookbook. So I mailed off my recipe for Sweet'n'Sour Coon on Egg Noodles.

20 years later those jerks still haven't sent me my cookbook.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Finally the tomatoes are actually setting fruit. They started good but three days of 115F even with lots of water just threw on the brakes. Now that it's cooled off a little they're trying, bless 'em. Hoping for a long fall but if I have to yank them up green I'll make a little green tomato mincemeat just to honour their heroic attitude.

We've got three varieties: Cuor di Bue for fresh eating; Amish Paste for canning and saucing; and Mystery Keeper for storage.

Mystery isn't the tastiest tomato, tough skin and kinda acid. But they store well. We usually eat the last of the summer's harvest about the middle of the following April and they're still fine. Having a fresh tomato at a time when everybody else is eating red styrofoam from the grocer's trumps whether it's the best tomato you've ever had.

O.H.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I haven't checked on my chili pepper plants in a few days. Went out this morning and the tender new growth was eaten back on many of the stems of the Tepin and Serrano plants. A little sleuthing found 3 very large hornworms having at it. Off with their heads! I'll spray Thuricide BT tonight. Amazing how devastating those buggers can be.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I haven't checked on my chili pepper plants in a few days. Went out this morning and the tender new growth was eaten back on many of the stems of the Tepin and Serrano plants. A little sleuthing found 3 very large hornworms having at it. Off with their heads! I'll spray Thuricide BT tonight. Amazing how devastating those buggers can be.

I've killed about 6 on my tomatoes this year. Never saw them on my jalapenos or poblanos. I feed them to the bass in our pond :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For me it’s all about the The aphid and the stink bug.

Top Bottom