What's new

The Sprout 2021

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Colorado Potato Beetle. They come after my potatoes every year even though I rotate plantings. Once I find them I spend a few days picking nymphs off the leaves. I pick them into an old plastic bowl I keep in the garden truck, then carry them respectfully over to the side of the garden and smoosh 'em. After a while they're culled down to the point they don't reproduce much.

I leave hornworms, despite the damage they can do. Hornworms turn into Sphinx Moths, which are beautiful to watch; frequently mistaken for hummingbirds. Since I like sphinx moths, I put up with their teenager stage. Actually, they tend to go more for the Virginia Creeper than the tomatoes. I found one in the cucumbers this year.

...and yesterday was the end of the line for the cukes and zooks. Got enough pickles in crocks all over. Dried many pounds of shredded zooks. No sense depleting the soil just to feed the compost pile; up they came.

O.H.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lol! My beans just sprouted!

Beautiful my friend! My popcorn is up as well. Tomatoes about a week from starting to blossom.
My how time flies. The popcorn is SUPPOSED to be tiny, but I'm thinking the chicken and rabbit "droppings" lol, hit the roots at the right time.... IMG_20210908_172843507_HDR.jpgIMG_20210908_161347884_HDR.jpg
We are making salsa tonight to can up, 16 pints. This is a recipe from my lovely War Department's Unkle that was a missionary for 50? years or so in South America. Lol, we put half the Jalapenos it called for! I took a bite of one and am glad I didn't do the whole amount called for!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
For me it’s all about the The aphid and the stink bug.
I've not had a horn worm for a few years now. We leave a seventh of our garden fallow every year, and rotate the crops....the last time I had one....I had ONE! True story doggone! I was picking beans, and I heard a "crunch, crunch!" Looked around, saw evidence of the plant he'd been munching, and found him! I'm not one to exaggerate, so youse know I'm tellin' the truth when I say I lassoed him, stuck a saddle on him, and rode him to the county fair! True story doggone, again!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've not had a horn worm for a few years now. We leave a seventh of our garden fallow every year, and rotate the crops....the last time I had one....I had ONE! True story doggone! I was picking beans, and I heard a "crunch, crunch!" Looked around, saw evidence of the plant he'd been munching, and found him! I'm not one to exaggerate, so youse know I'm tellin' the truth when I say I lassoed him, stuck a saddle on him, and rode him to the county fair! True story doggone, again!
Didn’t they do that in the TV show land of the Giants?

Top Bottom