What's new

The smell that wont go away

I used an omega badger with a sample of Autumn Ash. It wasn't great. It was overpowering scent of dirt, and mildew and for this brush ,the smell will not go away. I've cleaned it 3 times now with vinegar dish soap mixture, and shampoo. Not only does the smell persist, it overwhelms the scent of any soap I try to use. I need a heavy duty deodorizing treatment for this thing. Any ideas?

Edit: thoughts on using peroxides? I have a pretty strong peroxide based pet odor remover for carpets. Its wool safe. Think its worth a try?

Just use it and deal with it.

Any time you try and soak it for hours or use chemicals or shampoos, you risk damage.

You could also test later it, let it fully dry, repeat.

There are hundreds of threads on the topic. The only one that has zero risk of damaging the brush is to just use it. All other are use at your own risk.

Any time you try and soak it for hours or use chemicals or shampoos, you risk damage.

There are hundreds of threads on the topic. The only one that has zero risk of damaging the brush is to just use it. All other are use at your own risk.
I've been trying to get the smell out for a month now. Let it sit and air for a while, smelled much better, just a faint smell, but second it got wet that smell filled the whole bathroom again. It just over powers whatever shave soap I use. I don't want to throw it out but at the moment it's kind of unusable.

You might try clarifying shampoo then.

"A clarifying shampoo comes in as a deep cleansing therapy for the hair. It helps remove any kind of residual product and remnants of hard or chlorinated water, thus making it an essential staple in your haircare routine—more so, for those who undergo hair treatments often,” explains Dr Jamuna Pai, founder of SkinLab."

You might try clarifying shampoo then.

"A clarifying shampoo comes in as a deep cleansing therapy for the hair. It helps remove any kind of residual product and remnants of hard or chlorinated water, thus making it an essential staple in your haircare routine—more so, for those who undergo hair treatments often,” explains Dr Jamuna Pai, founder of SkinLab."
I'll give it a go, thank you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

This.

It will get better with use. But quite possibly it will take a LOT of use.

POSSIBLY use it, rinse WELL and set it outside in the shade and let the wind blow on it. Maybe even in the sun?

Some boar brushes just REALLY stink. Nothing short of burning them in a campfire and burying it three feet deep helps.... But it is really hard to beat the performance of a good boar!

Every time you shave work up a lather with this brush. And one to use to shave with. After the shave rinse both brushes out and dry.

After some time the smell will be gone. It just takes time. Im lucky as with my job my sniffer doesnt work very well. Give me any new boar brush and i cant smell it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Pet shampoo for skunk spray odor removal?
Many different brands available.

download.jpg

I had the sam3 problem with my new badger brush. After six soaks about less than an hour each, the odor persisted. I then allowed it to set on my countertop for about two weeks and the odor disappeared. No more smell at all.

I sometimes use Dawn dish soap but I have a rule of thumb. If i am unsure of the scent, I have a brush just for that Dawn helps this brush out a lot on occasion.

This.

It will get better with use. But quite possibly it will take a LOT of use.

POSSIBLY use it, rinse WELL and set it outside in the shade and let the wind blow on it. Maybe even in the sun?

Some boar brushes just REALLY stink. Nothing short of burning them in a campfire and burying it three feet deep helps.... But it is really hard to beat the performance of a good boar!
Burning them in a campfire! Burying 3 feet! Ha! I am picturing Fred Gywnn in Pet Cemetary telling this man to bury his brush in the Pet Cemetery. The brush comes back, but it's different.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
"The quintessential Fall fragrance. Dark and resinous, this accord is spicy, dirty, smokey, sweet and and perfectly captures the scent of damp Autumn air.

Scent notes: Maple, spice, smoke, amber, cedar, oud, rain, plum, blackberry, ash, birch tar, pumpkin, coffee, dirt, mildew"

Wow. I'd start with the least damage producing solutions and work my way up. You might want to lather it up with Dawn and leave it overnight. You might try a strongly scented soap/cream that you like for the same procedure.

Leave it outside for a week?

I'm not the adventurous type, so I don't try anything that hasn't already received many good reviews here on B&B. And a big thank you to those brave souls who provide the reviews. By the by, I won't be trying this one!

Top Bottom