What's new

The Quaznoid Challenge

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Do what makes you happy. Despite rumors to the contrary, I don't recall reading one post here that suggested a great shave was only possible if you spend more money.

On the other hand, there is a wonderful diversity to the human population: different skin, beard, water, wallet, different attitudes about what brings a little joy to life, different attitudes about where in their budget to save and where to spend. Vive la différence. Find your joy where you find it. That I find mine on a different path should not diminish your joy. I shave with the same razor every day - but it's a Wolfman. The fact that the Wolfman works better for my face/beard doesn't imply I want you to buy one. I promise that, despite your method not working for me at all, I will celebrate that it brings you some joy. Bravo.

Do what makes you happy. Despite rumors to the contrary, I don't recall reading one post here that suggested a great shave was only possible if you spend more money.

On the other hand, there is a wonderful diversity to the human population: different skin, beard, water, wallet, different attitudes about what brings a little joy to life, different attitudes about where in their budget to save and where to spend. Vive la différence. Find your joy where you find it. That I find mine on a different path should not diminish your joy. I shave with the same razor every day - but it's a Wolfman. The fact that the Wolfman works better for my face/beard doesn't imply I want you to buy one. I promise that, despite your method not working for me at all, I will celebrate that it brings you some joy. Bravo.
See I think that's just as cool! To me it's appealing to have the one tool that you really connect with and use. I don't find that having a ton of pocket knives, or razors, and rotating brings me that much joy so I try to keep things simple. Enjoy the Wolfman!

I guess you could say I got Quaznoided by accident.
I use a FOCS exclusively for face and head. It was $30.00.
Head once a week and face twice a week. FOCS doesn’t clog, and at least a DFS every time.
It must be very forgiving because I can’t see, and am in a hurry.
Angles? Left handed, backwards, in a mirror?
I don’t need no stinking angles! Never cut myself.
I use Personna Lab Blues because they are made i USA and they work. $15.00 for a hundred.
Stainless dog bowl and a $12.00 Razorrock brush.
Got a few soaps however. Settled on Mikes Natural. Cheap enough and slick.
I spoil myself with Thayers Toner Rose Petal. $10.00. Lasts forever and puts out any hot spots I may get from rushing.

I think The Quaznoid Theory is based on people who view shaving as a necessary chore.
After all if it’s an enjoyable hobby, why not have fun?

I’d grow a beard if it didn’t feel and look so bad.

I guess you could say I got Quaznoided by accident.
I use a FOCS exclusively for face and head. It was $30.00.
Head once a week and face twice a week. FOCS doesn’t clog, and at least a DFS every time.
It must be very forgiving because I can’t see, and am in a hurry.
Angles? Left handed, backwards, in a mirror?
I don’t need no stinking angles! Never cut myself.
I use Personna Lab Blues because they are made i USA and they work. $15.00 for a hundred.
Stainless dog bowl and a $12.00 Razorrock brush.
Got a few soaps however. Settled on Mikes Natural. Cheap enough and slick.
I spoil myself with Thayers Toner Rose Petal. $10.00. Lasts forever and puts out any hot spots I may get from rushing.

I think The Quaznoid Theory is based on people who view shaving as a necessary chore.
After all if it’s an enjoyable hobby, why not have fun?

I’d grow a beard if it didn’t feel and look so bad.
Love it! Does that stand for Fatip open comb slant?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
A lot of what is said here makes sense. But using soap scraps does not. I don’t want dead skin cells and pubic hairs in my lather. Arko or some other low cost, but quality shave soap is super affordable.

Also, even though Lab Blues may work for some, I found them to be among the worst blades I have ever used in all my years of wet shaving. I can not shave with one without getting irritation and weepers. And I have tried. Very early on, I purchased a 100 pack of lab blues, and had a hard time with them. About once a year I’d revisit them, hoping another year of experience would allow me to shave successfully with those blades. It was not to be. Everyone’s face is different.

But certainly there is a lot of good here. The Tech is an awesome beginner razor. And a good razor for anyone. I shaved with a Tech yesterday. Wonderful. So a beginner would do well just using a Tech for a few months. And if you want to be a frugal minimalist, you could be set for life. If not, and you desire more efficiency or more razor bling, it is a good point to jump off to more razors when you’re ready.

And yes, there are amazingly good synthetic brushes under $20. And some great ones under $10 too. I wish these brushes were available when I started. All we had at those prices were cheap boars and badgers. Synths were not a thing yet. And badger brushes at that price range back then we’re super basic. Badger brushes definitely get better at the higher prices, whereas synths now are really great at all price points. As good and as fun as boar and badger brushes are, I firmly believe a synth brush is easier for a beginner to learn.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
No one may have said it, but everyone sure is quick to name a razor when someone asks for recommendations; not many recommend sticking with what you already have.
I started with a $50 razor and it was a fine choice. I frequently recommend it for other beginners, and I'm sure there are plenty of people using it forever and happily. I did eventually get a Mergress and found it a better razor. Later I got a few Above the Tie razors and found them considerably better. For the past 7 years I've been using a Wolfman, which I found to be the best of all I've tried.

So if you ask me what a good razor might be for under $50 I will still recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89 as a good choice. If you ask me what my favorite razor is I'm going to have to say Wolfman.

There is nothing wrong with staying with your first razor if it does the job for you. Some people shave two or three times a week and aim for a DFS, some shave daily and expect a BBS every day. Both are welcome here. Some people enjoy collecting things and have tons of razors, some don't. My problem is that nothing's too good for me, so it's no surprise I gave my EJ to a friend and moved on.

This is a shaving forum, so you're going to find a fair number of people who enjoy owning top quality goods. But I find that every post asking about a purchase that includes a price range is met with excellent suggestions and no "looking down my nose" attitude about not spending enough. And nobody on this forum would suggest not buying more of anything - I think you can be kicked off the forum for that! :facep:
:eek2:

A lot of what is said here makes sense. But using soap scraps does not. I don’t want dead skin cells and pubic hairs in my lather. Arko or some other low cost, but quality shave soap is super affordable.

Also, even though Lab Blues may work for some, I found them to be among the worst blades I have ever used in all my years of wet shaving. I can not shave with one without getting irritation and weepers. And I have tried. Very early on, I purchased a 100 pack of lab blues, and had a hard time with them. About once a year I’d revisit them, hoping another year of experience would allow me to shave successfully with those blades. It was not to be. Everyone’s face is different.

But certainly there is a lot of good here. The Tech is an awesome beginner razor. And a good razor for anyone. I shaved with a Tech yesterday. Wonderful. So a beginner would do well just using a Tech for a few months. And if you want to be a frugal minimalist, you could be set for life. If not, and you desire more efficiency or more razor bling, it is a good point to jump off to more razors when you’re ready.

And yes, there are amazingly good synthetic brushes under $20. And some great ones under $10 too. I wish these brushes were available when I started. All we had at those prices were cheap boars and badgers. Synths were not a thing yet. And badger brushes at that price range back then we’re super basic. Badger brushes definitely get better at the higher prices, whereas synths now are really great at all price points. As good and as fun as boar and badger brushes are, I firmly believe a synth brush is easier for a beginner to learn.
Skin cells I get.....but pubic hair in the lather? This is a shaving forum sir! I figured that most of us are clean shaven.

Well, after spending quality time with the pre war tech I’ve decided that The Quaznoid Challenge may be more realistic down the road. Fore at this point, I’m still enjoying using and learning the Piccolo as well as the old type. While I’m not ready to be a one razor man, I won’t be adding any other hardware and will continue to pare down the handful that I have. Finding “the one” is still the goal, but at this point I feel like the Piccolo is also making a strong case for the top spot as well. We shall see what the future holds.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Even if not using scraps, most any soap from Dollar Tree will work. And you can nab a hair conditioner that contains dimethicone as a pre-shave a la @Whilliam

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Well, if your homeless, or just completely down on your luck, I can see how the dollar store suddenly becomes your friend, real quick, along with the local food banks. Unless that awful life change happens to me, I will continue to use proper shave hardware, as well as software, to maintain my cultured civility.

Remember folks, you don't have to give up absolutely everything, in order to be frugal. Just make better conscious decisions, when pricing out shaving supplies, you don't have to go after the expensive stuff. I'd consider Prorasso to be quite affordable for those who are frugal, except their aftershaves lol.

I just got 14 of these delivered to my house for $12. I have successfully used this in the past to shave with. My wife really likes how it smells ( specifically the Mandarin Citrus/Patchouli/Rosemary version )

I am going to grate one up in an empty shave soap bin and keep it in my rotation. I keep a bar ( regular scent ) in my travel kit since it is a multitasker.

1703261008287.png

I just got 14 of these delivered to my house for $12. I have successfully used this in the past to shave with. My wife really likes how it smells ( specifically the Mandarin Citrus/Patchouli/Rosemary version )

I am going to grate one up in an empty shave soap bin and keep it in my rotation. I keep a bar ( regular scent ) in my travel kit since it is a multitasker.

View attachment 1768058
I've tried those as well and it is not bad.

Top Bottom