What's new

The Parker Variant (again)

Does anyone know how to store an adjustable razor like the Variant? It's got a spring in it, so is it better to tighten it, have the cap off, or somewhere in between. Also, can you replace the spring if it wears down over time?

I have a Variant (actually use it as my daily driver this month and probably will use it beyond July also) and I don't plan to do anything special to it when not in use. Obviously this is something that is personal in nature for each owner. It's a solid razor and I'm 100% confident before anything wears out or breaks I will have long gotten the full return on my investment.

No, there is a spring amigo. Squeeze the plate where the blade rests on, there is a spring underneath it. That's what provides the tension and moves up or down as you turn the adjustment knob setting from 1-5 and beyond.

So there is. That is one tough spring. So much so I guess I never put enough pressure on the plate to move it until you said that and I put pressure intentionally. The razor is very new to me, so I probably should have kept my mouth shut until I had more experience with it.

In any case, injector springs are kept in a constant state of tension with no ill effect. Just a guess here but I doubt it matters how it is stored, even long-term. I will probably be among the first to find out, because I store them tightened down to some of the lowest settings.

Does anyone know how to store an adjustable razor like the Variant? It's got a spring in it, so is it better to tighten it, have the cap off, or somewhere in between. Also, can you replace the spring if it wears down over time?
Well, I got rid of all my other razors and just kept the Variant. That solves that problem!:001_cool:

Had my recently acquired Variant on the road this week traveling. I think this is my go-to travel razor.

I don't usually shave every day, unless I am traveling to meetings. The Variant gives me the flexibility to adjust so I don't nick myself, yet get a perfect shave.

I'd intended for my new Rockwell C to be my traveler, but not likely anymore. Between the Variant for travel and my Rockwell 6S for home, my other 60+ new and vintage DE's are getting ignored. Must pif....so hard...

Variant...recommended!!

Does your 6S shave as close as your Variant? I've got both and I can't get as close with my 6S (on any plate) as I can with the Variant?

Does your 6S shave as close as your Variant? I've got both and I can't get as close with my 6S (on any plate) as I can with the Variant?

I can say both give me a very close shave...I haven't really compared them to each other. I just love them both!!!

I have seen posts where 6S users have stated that even at 6, not aggressive enough...that may be your situation.

The Variant no doubt can be set more aggressively, I'm sure...

O.K I'm a believer after reading all 6 pages of this discussion. I just ordered the Variant and eager to compare it with the 6S. I use the 6S on plate 6 on a feather and sometimes wish I had a plate no.7. What draws me towards the 6S is the smoothness. I hope I get the same with the Variant.

The Ikon Tech has been my daily razor for over a year, giving me consistent BBS results. I recently bought a Rockwell 6S, and I get a shave (w/#6 plate) almost as close as the Tech...but much smoother and little or no irritation. It sounds like the consensus is that the Variant gives a closer, smoother shave than the 6s. Anybody have an opinion about whether it is able to give a closer shave than the Tech? (I think I may be hearing the Variant calling my name).

The Ikon Tech has been my daily razor for over a year, giving me consistent BBS results. I recently bought a Rockwell 6S, and I get a shave (w/#6 plate) almost as close as the Tech...but much smoother and little or no irritation. It sounds like the consensus is that the Variant gives a closer, smoother shave than the 6s. Anybody have an opinion about whether it is able to give a closer shave than the Tech? (I think I may be hearing the Variant calling my name).

If you get a comfortable BBS with your Ikon I doubt if you'll get a closer shave with the Variant, unless you want to get closer than a BBS. but you will have a Variant that will feel great in your hand with a great balance and also have an adjustable shaver. The Variant is calling you and while your ordering you might as well get the 91R

The Story So Far:

The Variant has become predictable almost (note, I said almost) to the point of near-boredom: in addition to the Dorco (ST-300), Astra (Superior Stainless), and Kai blades, I threw in a pack of "red" Personnas (note: pack has blue cardboard insert label with red underlining...between Reds Lab Blues and Preps, I can't keep it straight) for good measure. Results bear up my initial take on the razor: it seems to pretty much bring the best performance out of all the blades I've used so far, although with the exception of the Kai, hasn't altered my go-to blade hierarchy. If cost and availability were not considerations, I'd be crazy-high on Kai right now, because it it absolutely lives up to the hype I'd previously - and only briefly - swallowed regarding the Feather before my fateful one-week trial run years ago. In the Varian, it just does the business like no other blade I've used up to now, which is a fairly tall order. The razor just plain works. Really, who knew?

Royal Shave has 'em right now for $40 with free shipping. At that price, I'm tempted to buy a second one as a back up.

I received my new Parker Variant today. Loved its look right out of the box - hefty, well balanced, "a real man's razor" aesthetic. Decided to try it out right away...
It was 4:30pm, hadn't shaved since yesterday, early morning. Showered, soaked an Omega boar brush in hot water, put some hot water into the little capsule container with the sample of Stirling Executive soap to let it bloom - nice scent. On went the Proraso Red pre-shave ointment. Nice. Got out the alum block.
Popped a new Personna (Israeli) blade into the Variant. Nice smooth mechanism! (Was sure to line up the cap notch with the base notch on the sides of the head!)
Gathered the brush bristles tightly just below the tips and rubbed the inverted soap sample onto the brush tips vigorously. Then built the lather in a mug. Nice voluminous lather easily. Stirred until I had great peaks. Felt the slickness between my thumb and forefinger - I estimated that at an 8 out of 10. Lathered my face up, pretty good cushion, not the greatest, but better than adequate.
Set the razor at 1.5 for the WTG pass. Noticed how I really enjoyed the weight and balance of the Variant! Could actually hear the whisker feedback on the blade! Finished the pass - very smooth. For the XTG pass I dialed it up to 3. Definitely felt more aggressive, but still glided and effective. Rinsed, felt my face - surprising that I already had a DFS! So third pass AGT and a few minor touchups. Two tiny nicks on a neck scar, minimal. Trimmed my mustache, goatee, soul patch and sideburns at the same setting - the blade's position and angle are absolutely intuitive with this razor! Rinse. Perfect!
Thayer's aloe vera medicated splash first, then some Clubman Pinaud a few minutes later. Tingling but no burn. Styptic'ed the minor nicks and finished with Proraso Blue balm. Aaaaaahhh...

This was a BBS and I LOVE this razor!!! It will be one of my favorite razors, no doubt. Maybe even a daily driver. At this price, the Parker Variant is a no-brainer AFAIAC. Wow. I'm a happy guy. :001_cool:

Welcome to the Variant experience my friend. My feelings are the same, only I use it on 4.5 or 5 with a Feather.
BBS every time no miss.

Yes the Variant is a great razor, use mine at 3.5 or 4 with a Wilkinson blade. 2 passes ATG for a BBS. It's rare now that I use one of my Gillette Adjustable's.

Top Bottom