What's new

The Parker Variant (again)

Have been using Parker Variant for a couple of months. Have zeroed down on a setting of two. Blade of choice with it are 7 o clock greens with India. I find that the variant is extremely efficient in giving a close shave while keeping skin irritation to a minimum. Got mine shipped to Hong Kong from Maggards. Extremely happy that I did.

Based on everyone's comments (and that it's similar to a Merkur Progress which I have never tried but wanted to, with the benefit of a grippier handle), I bought a Parker Variant as well.
-it's a relatively heavy, nicely satin-finished razor with a large head. No quality concerns on examination. It feels balanced to me and is nicely knurled
-it shaves very well (and loudly!). It reminds me of a bulldozer - it doesn't slow down for stubble but simply plows ahead. Smooth, feels friendly at a very low setting (1-1.5) once you get past how aggressive it looks ;-)
-overall, I quite like mine - it's good enough to earn a spot on my "frequently used razors" in the bathroom, rather than being relegated to longer term storage to be rotated in and out (or PIFed away)
-I enjoy mild razors the most (Gillette blue tips, Techs, Slims/Fatboys/Super Adjustables from 2 to 4), so I typically run my variant at 1-1.5. I will almost certainly fine tune this as I've only had 2 shaves going in
-in short, highly recommended so far

Based on everyone's comments (and that it's similar to a Merkur Progress which I have never tried but wanted to, with the benefit of a grippier handle), I bought a Parker Variant as well.
-it's a relatively heavy, nicely satin-finished razor with a large head. No quality concerns on examination. It feels balanced to me and is nicely knurled
-it shaves very well (and loudly!). It reminds me of a bulldozer - it doesn't slow down for stubble but simply plows ahead. Smooth, feels friendly at a very low setting (1-1.5) once you get past how aggressive it looks ;-)
-overall, I quite like mine - it's good enough to earn a spot on my "frequently used razors" in the bathroom, rather than being relegated to longer term storage to be rotated in and out (or PIFed away)
-I enjoy mild razors the most (Gillette blue tips, Techs, Slims/Fatboys/Super Adjustables from 2 to 4), so I typically run my variant at 1-1.5. I will almost certainly fine tune this as I've only had 2 shaves going in

Hello,
Once your comfortable try dialing up the setting to about 4.0 or higher. The razor has the tendency to get smoother as you set it higher. I run mine at 6.0 (1past 5) and it is smooth as silk.

Cheers
John

Hello,
Once your comfortable try dialing up the setting to about 4.0 or higher. The razor has the tendency to get smoother as you set it higher. I run mine at 6.0 (1past 5) and it is smooth as silk.

Cheers
John

Since I bought the Variant in May. it has become my #2 razor, next to my Weber PH, only because the Weber is easier to clean and assemble. As for the shave, it's a match. My Gillette Adjustable's come in at a close third. I always shaved with my Slim on 7 and now I find the Variant most comfortable and efficient on 3.5 - 4, I find 5 great but not necessary, haven't tried 6.
Happiness is a BBS, Denis

Reading this thread and I had to put my $0.02 worth. I have been on a GEM and AC bladed razor run as of late and after reading a couple of threads on a couple of forums and this one included, I said to myself "self, the Variant hasn't been touched in some time. It's time" Wow. I almost forgot how good a shave that this sub $100 ($60 actually) razor provides. Equal to many costing 2-3 times as much and more. Smooth, efficient and very well balanced with good weight to it. And just as @Bondage007 has stated, in a higher setting it somehow feels smoother. Can't explain it but it does. Started at 5 and finished at 3 and it was a wrap. A great shave for just 3 $20's? It's a steal. Just a great razor for the money....

Results? BBS........ Enough said.
IMG_1904.JPG

Hello,

Cheers
John[/QUOTE
I use my Progress at 10 only and it works great. You could go to 12 before the mechanism gets too loose. That is why I also prefer my Futur clone over the real one as it doesn't have the limiter on it(even though that can also be bypassed).

I’ve got a Parker Variant coming in the mail and I’m excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the more I use the Variant the better it gets. Shaved ATG, 1 pass with short strokes plus touch up this morning for a BBS.

Are you still using the Parker Variant
Exclusively ?

The Variant's been my Main Axe since summer (except for my month in Europe, where I took my new Parker three-piece travel razor). I honestly don't think I've enjoyed shaving quite this much before. Changing up to one of my older razors honestly hasn't come to mind at all.

One big unexpected surprise for me: my long-time go-to blade, Dorco's ST-300, has now been replaced by the Astra Superior Stainless. The KAI is still tops in terms of absolute BBS goodness, but the Astra beats it on a bang-for-the-buck basis, so I've stocked up accordingly.

I wonder if even Parker was surprised by what an out-of-nowhere hit this thing has (or would) become?

The Variant's been my Main Axe since summer (except for my month in Europe, where I took my new Parker three-piece travel razor). I honestly don't think I've enjoyed shaving quite this much before. Changing up to one of my older razors honestly hasn't come to mind at all.

One big unexpected surprise for me: my long-time go-to blade, Dorco's ST-300, has now been replaced by the Astra Superior Stainless. The KAI is still tops in terms of absolute BBS goodness, but the Astra beats it on a bang-for-the-buck basis, so I've stocked up accordingly.

I wonder if even Parker was surprised by what an out-of-nowhere hit this thing has (or would) become?

I think they knew they had a winner. Parker made many improvements on the Merkur Progress, a non-slip handle, weight, balance, length, thicker handle, brass instead of Zamak. Even though the Progress is a great razor and has been on the market for many years, Parker IMPO has made a better razor than Murker.
I'll not say the Parker Variant replaced my Weber PH but I will say it replaced my Gillette Slim, Fatboy and the Super Adjustable (BB) comes in a close second.

I think they knew they had a winner. Parker made many improvements on the Merkur Progress, a non-slip handle, weight, balance, length, thicker handle, brass instead of Zamak. Even though the Progress is a great razor and has been on the market for many years, Parker IMPO has made a better razor than Murker.
I'll not say the Parker Variant replaced my Weber PH but I will say it replaced my Gillette Slim, Fatboy and the Super Adjustable (BB) comes in a close second.

The Variant is brass? Even the top cap?

Top Bottom