What's new

The Parker Variant (again)

All Parkers are brass handle with Zamak head--from the U.S. partner of the owner directly.

I had forgotten about the Zamak head and randomly remembered last night. Got to it just in time as I had some soap build up at the junction of the thread and cap where the two are welded together. I had to do more scrubbing than I expected. I’ll be making sure to disassemble the razor every shave now instead of being lazy about it.

I had forgotten about the Zamak head and randomly remembered last night. Got to it just in time as I had some soap build up at the junction of the thread and cap where the two are welded together. I had to do more scrubbing than I expected. I’ll be making sure to disassemble the razor every shave now instead of being lazy about it.

I should have looked more closely too

I wouldn’t worry too much about extra care. I’ve had three of the four heads Parker makes (straight bar, OC, TTO) for several years—will pick up the Variant in the Philippines next week—clean them once a week, and all of them are like new. You don’t have to baby them; just don’t drop them. I add a drop of mineral oil when I’m screwing back on the straight bar and OC heads.

I have been shaving consistently with my Variant for several days now and cannot for the life of me figure out why I stopped using it. It is giving me the best shaves I've had, and I haven't even swapped out the first blade I put in when I restarted using it. I use it at a lower setting than many in this thread, 2 first pass then 2.5 second pass, but it still retains incredible efficiency. Very smooth, very efficient, no blade feel.

I have been shaving consistently with my Variant for several days now and cannot for the life of me figure out why I stopped using it. It is giving me the best shaves I've had, and I haven't even swapped out the first blade I put in when I restarted using it. I use it at a lower setting than many in this thread, 2 first pass then 2.5 second pass, but it still retains incredible efficiency. Very smooth, very efficient, no blade feel.

I concur! Very excellent shaver. Works well for me also on the lower settings.

My Parker Variant is still in my top 10 (or less!). I sometimes keep it closed all the way (say, for under the nose); other times I dial it to 1-1.5. Makes me wonder what a Mergress is like!

I'm fairly sure that I read that the whole razor was brass covered in chrome. It feels heavy enough to be all brass.

The thread in the cap is brass which is nice because that is where most of your surface worries are going to be with Zamak

Top Bottom