What's new

The Parker Variant (again)

I can also very easily move the top cap from side to side even when on setting 1, its not a lot but it rattles. pretty sure mines a bust.
That's a definite no, no.... I just realized you purchased it through Amazon. They have a good refund policy. Maybe you can get an exchange/replacement through them or just deal with SSR directly.

That's a definite no, no.... I just realized you purchased it through Amazon. They have a good refund policy. Maybe you can get an exchange/replacement through them or just deal with SSR directly.

+1

I've always found sending something back to Amazon for refund/exchange to be painless.

I'll try contacting SSR through amazon and see if I can get a replacement, I love the feel and look of this razor, I just got unlucky.

Received my new Variant 5/31/17. Have shaved every day since, using Cremo brushless creams (and one day with AoS Vintage Tallow Sandalwood Soap) and Super-Max Titanium blades (my everyday blade).

Pros:
  • Very well-made, and I like the satin finish on the razor. Good weight and balance. Sits nicely in the hand.
  • I'd say it is about 1/4" longer than my '62 Slim; I have big hands, so this is a plus.
  • Heavier than the Slim by a noticeable amount. (I haven't weighed them both to compare). Very sturdy.
  • Quality, fit and finish, and performance leads me to think this will last a lifetime. Feels expensive in your hand.
  • Compared to my Slim, much more of the blade is exposed. Does not compromise performance, and I believe it contributes to this being a much "louder" razor. You can hear the blade working (which I like).
  • Adjustability is good; I am using settings ranging from 1.5-2. For comparison, I use Setting "3" on the Slim.
  • Adjustment knob stays where you put it.
  • Very smooth shaves, and the razor has no skipping or floating. Because it is heavier than my Slim, I have to remember to let the weight of the razor do the work (back to basics).
Cons:
  • Wish it was a classic TTO mechanism. Blade replacement is more work, and you have to re-set the exposure, which leads to...
  • The same mechanism adjusts the blade as well as releases the blade (just keep turning the adjustment knob...). I wish the head release was separate from the blade adjustment so you could keep it at your desired adjustment when replacing the blade. It's a function of the two-piece design, but I prefer the Gillette TTO design that separates the two functions.
  • No tactile "click" when changing adjustment. I find myself checking every morning.
  • Cost $57 from Amazon. My Slim cost about $15 on The Bay many years ago. Price on this feels high, but the product is superb. I guess you get what you pay for...
Overall a very nice piece of work, even though $57 seems like a stretch for a razor. I can retire my Slim to be re-plated and gifted to my son. The Parker is my new daily weapon. Feels sacrilegious, but I like it better than my Slim. It's just a better razor.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Received my new Variant 5/31/17. Have shaved every day since, using Cremo brushless creams (and one day with AoS Vintage Tallow Sandalwood Soap) and Super-Max Titanium blades (my everyday blade).

Pros:
  • Very well-made, and I like the satin finish on the razor. Good weight and balance. Sits nicely in the hand.
  • I'd say it is about 1/4" longer than my '62 Slim; I have big hands, so this is a plus.
  • Heavier than the Slim by a noticeable amount. (I haven't weighed them both to compare). Very sturdy.
  • Quality, fit and finish, and performance leads me to think this will last a lifetime. Feels expensive in your hand.
  • Compared to my Slim, much more of the blade is exposed. Does not compromise performance, and I believe it contributes to this being a much "louder" razor. You can hear the blade working (which I like).
  • Adjustability is good; I am using settings ranging from 1.5-2. For comparison, I use Setting "3" on the Slim.
  • Very smooth shaves, and the razor has no skipping or floating. Because it is heavier than my Slim, I have to remember to let the weight of the razor do the work (back to basics).
Cons:
  • Wish it was a classic TTO mechanism. Blade replacement is more work, and you have to re-set the exposure, which leads to...
  • The same mechanism adjusts the blade as well as releases the blade (just keep turning the adjustment knob...). I wish the head release was separate from the blade adjustment so you could keep it at your desired adjustment when replacing the blade. It's a function of the two-piece design, but I prefer the Gillette TTO design that separates the two functions.
  • No tactile "click" when changing adjustment. I find myself checking every morning.
  • Cost $57 from Amazon. My Slim cost about $15 on The Bay many years ago. Price on this feels high, but the product is superb. I guess you get what you pay for...
Overall a very nice piece of work, even though $57 seems like a stretch for a razor. I can retire my Slim to be re-plated and gifted to my son. The Parker is my new daily weapon. Feels sacrilegious, but I like it better than my Slim. It's just a better razor.

Highly recommended.
Now that's as honest and matter of fact write up I've ever read. Bravo amigo. Bravo...:a14::a14:

Pros:
Cons:

Highly recommended.

I like it better than my Fatboy and i have never liked my Slim so... It is not a sin to like something better than the godly vintages, IMHO.

Just got my replacement variant, much better experience with this one. Extremely smooth and efficient, the weight of it and the longer handle make it feel like a more solid razor than the old adjustable TTO's IMO, probably attributes to its efficiency as well. I'd pick the variant over my slim most days.

I like it better than my Fatboy and i have never liked my Slim so... It is not a sin to like something better than the godly vintages, IMHO.
Amen.
Just got my replacement variant, much better experience with this one. Extremely smooth and efficient, the weight of it and the longer handle make it feel like a more solid razor than the old adjustable TTO's IMO, probably attributes to its efficiency as well. I'd pick the variant over my slim most days.
Great. Good to hear (read) that the exchange went well. Enjoy the shaves. :thumbsup:

Been using mine for about a month and it is a much better shaver than any of my Gillette Adjustable"s I used to set my Fatboy on 7 but the Variant I use on 3 and get a BBS almost every morning, I'd have to say it is equal or better than my Weber PH Classic.

Been using mine for about a month and it is a much better shaver than any of my Gillette Adjustable"s I used to set my Fatboy on 7 but the Variant I use on 3 and get a BBS almost every morning, I'd have to say it is equal or better than my Weber PH Classic.
That's a tall complement. I've never had or shaved with a Weber, but many here and on many other forums swear by it. High praise indeed.

I much prefer the Variant to any of my Gillette adjustable. I know....that's crazy talk at B&B but that's how well the Parker works for me.

I have to agree about the Variant. I must borrow someone's GIF to sum up it up.

Cheers
John

proxy.php

Aaaahh. This is where a line has to be drawn. What are you trying to start here? A war of razors? I have both and believe that they do provide a satisfactory shave for anyone. But the way they go about it are two different paths. One adjusts by changing plates, the other by turning a dial, which in my estimation is easier and more precise giving you complete control on how you want your shave to go.

I believe that the RockWell 6s was made more for the newbie shaver and those that prefer an extremely mild shave to start with, and eventually grow with it as their technique and experience betters. They can adjust going up with the plates if they would prefer a more efficient shave without the razor showing much blade exposure and relying more on gap to create a bit more aggressiveness to suit their needs. But there are also seasoned shavers who prefer it because of its weight and build quality. Also, I believe those more experienced shavers prefer a milder shave because of sensitive skin and avoiding irritation. Another thing it has is its made of s/s, it will outlast its owner and then some. RockWell has had their issues with V1 & V1.5, but V2 has been a quality product. Just look at the sales numbers. They don't lie.

The Parker Variant on the other hand is something just a bit more different, but yet still retains some of the mechanics and principles that shavers love with the Gillette Fatboy, Slim and Super Adjustable. And the way that Parker designed the razor head, 2 pc design has the Variant feel and shave with a bit more blade exposure and aggressiveness while still being smooth and very efficient. The weight and balance is near perfect, and the knurling on the handle is pretty darn good. It's not made of stainless steel or all brass, but it's made well and is $40 cheaper than the 6s. It still has its quality issues, but that is getting fewer as they up their quality control and production, but a few still get through.

For me, the Variant works better for how my beard and skin is. It gives great audible feedback and even though you can adjust it to its higher settings, somehow it retains its smoothness, but it will bite if you're not careful. The 6s gave me shaves that were good and comfy, but never close. Even with the R6 plate and a Kai or Feather. I had to do more passes, sometimes 3-4 and touch ups and irritation would creep in to get to DFS/BBS quality that I chase. The Variant with 2 solid passes and a quick buff was DFS/BBS practically every time. Not once any irritation or discomfort from razor burn.

This one really is YMMV. There are those that love their 6s. And it's a fine quality tool. But for me, the Variant is a better razor for how I shave. Easier to load a blade, and a simple twist gets you to the desired setting you want. I own 2 of them, and they are not leaving anywhere.......
Had 2 anyone compared the Varient to the Rockwell 6S?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

My Variant kicked my 6S out of the shave den. I sold my 6S a few weeks ago.

For my face the Variant has a superior head geometry, it just plain works better.

My Variant kicked my 6S out of the shave den. I sold my 6S a few weeks ago.

For my face the Variant has a superior head geometry, it just plain works better.

The only 2 minor complaint from me are personal taste :

I prefer a smaller handle
I prefer something a little bit lighter

That being said it really is a great razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaaahh. This is where a line has to be drawn. What are you trying to start here? A war of razors? I have both and believe that they do provide a satisfactory shave for anyone. But the way they go about it are two different paths. One adjusts by changing plates, the other by turning a dial, which in my estimation is easier and more precise giving you complete control on how you want your shave to go.

I believe that the RockWell 6s was made more for the newbie shaver and those that prefer an extremely mild shave to start with, and eventually grow with it as their technique and experience betters. They can adjust going up with the plates if they would prefer a more efficient shave without the razor showing much blade exposure and relying more on gap to create a bit more aggressiveness to suit their needs. But there are also seasoned shavers who prefer it because of its weight and build quality. Also, I believe those more experienced shavers prefer a milder shave because of sensitive skin and avoiding irritation. Another thing it has is its made of s/s, it will outlast its owner and then some. RockWell has had their issues with V1 & V1.5, but V2 has been a quality product. Just look at the sales numbers. They don't lie.

The Parker Variant on the other hand is something just a bit more different, but yet still retains some of the mechanics and principles that shavers love with the Gillette Fatboy, Slim and Super Adjustable. And the way that Parker designed the razor head, 2 pc design has the Variant feel and shave with a bit more blade exposure and aggressiveness while still being smooth and very efficient. The weight and balance is near perfect, and the knurling on the handle is pretty darn good. It's not made of stainless steel or all brass, but it's made well and is $40 cheaper than the 6s. It still has its quality issues, but that is getting fewer as they up their quality control and production, but a few still get through.

For me, the Variant works better for how my beard and skin is. It gives great audible feedback and even though you can adjust it to its higher settings, somehow it retains its smoothness, but it will bite if you're not careful. The 6s gave me shaves that were good and comfy, but never close. Even with the R6 plate and a Kai or Feather. I had to do more passes, sometimes 3-4 and touch ups and irritation would creep in to get to DFS/BBS quality that I chase. The Variant with 2 solid passes and a quick buff was DFS/BBS practically every time. Not once any irritation or discomfort from razor burn.

This one really is YMMV. There are those that love their 6s. And it's a fine quality tool. But for me, the Variant is a better razor for how I shave. Easier to load a blade, and a simple twist gets you to the desired setting you want. I own 2 of them, and they are not leaving anywhere.......
That's a fantastic comparison, thank you very much!

It's the Varient more aggressive at the same settings and just as smooth a shave? I find I like the more aggressive razors. I can shave with 5 and 6 with no issues, depending on blade of course, but recently been enjoying R4

That's a fantastic comparison, thank you very much!

It's the Varient more aggressive at the same settings and just as smooth a shave? I find I like the more aggressive razors. I can shave with 5 and 6 with no issues, depending on blade of course, but recently been enjoying R4

The Variant should be right up your alley then. Sign up for this pass around and try it first. Once you try it, you can make a sound decision if it's for you or not. I think you wil like it....

Top Bottom