What's new

The Parker Variant (again)

I must thank you Gentlemen for your reviews and comments that convinced me to invest in the Parker Variant. This razor was not praised enough.
Ordered the razor and a brush from BullGoose on Saturday and received it on Tuesday free shipping.
In my opinion it surpasses my Gillette Adjustable's, not in all, but most things(Fatboy, Slim and Super Adjustable)and it passed the Progress that I had (slippery handle, gave it away). The only other razor that came close or matched my Gillette's is my Weber PH w Classic Handle (the only non-vintage DE razor that I like)
This razor has it all in Weight, Balance, non-slip grip, length, thickness of handle. Due to it's weight and balance there is no need of using any pressure while shaving.
The shave was fantastic. Two passes ATG and a light touch up for a BBS on setting 4 with an Astra SP blade.
Drawbacks compared to the TTO Gillette Adjustable's is in the ease of loading the blade and the setting increments are more gradual in the Gillette's. I shave at a 7 with a Fatboy, the Variant is a 4. I guess 5 would equal a 9 on Fatboy.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks for the review. This one has caught my eye a few times.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Once I got mine, all of my Gillette adjustables went on BST. They really hit a home run on this. The only drawback was the original black ones that were starting to weather as soon as folks got it. Supposedly the new ones fixed that problem.

The Variant is indeed a great razor. I'm one of the few that really likes the look of original black handle one's when the black started coming off and the brass shown through. Gives it character.

Congrats! It's an excellent razor. So good in fact, that I bought 2. One in each finish. Superb finish and the shave they provide is top notch. No brainer for under $60.....

Thanks for the review. I hope Parker has got the manufacturing QC issues solved. Lots of love for this razor.

I too bought a Variant based on what I've seen here recently. Only have a single shave with it, but to quote Rick in "Casablanca": Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

I normally use a FB set on 7 or a Futur set on 3, so I set the Variant to 3. It was just a tad more effective than I usually prefer, I think due to a longer handle, so I've set it back to 2.5, we'll see how that goes. I suspect that as I get more used to it, I'll creep back up.

I'll be looking for mine to arrive today. If the Variant brings with it the same shave qualities as the Progress but improves on the Progress handle (as far as "grip-ability") then I'll be sold.

I'll be looking for mine to arrive today. If the Variant brings with it the same shave qualities as the Progress but improves on the Progress handle (as far as "grip-ability") then I'll be sold.
I think you in for a big happy surprise, Not sure but I think they even changed the head geometry for the better

I think you in for a big happy surprise, Not sure but I think they even changed the head geometry for the better

Oh wow, you're not kidding. I just received it and have spent the last little while fondling it. Out of the wrapper it looks REALLY nice. After reading some posts about Variants having misaligned handles I'm happy to report this one is perfect. The finish is free of any blemishes of any sort (especially love the subdued, satin look). The razor looks first class in every respect.

The adjustment numbers are easy to read, even for my terrible near-vision. It's a quality piece. I have a Gillette 7O'clock Super Stainless with 4 shaves on it sitting in my Progress I plan to load in this Variant tomorrow morning. I'll have 48 hours of stubble for the morning shave.

Based on other posts and already knowing the type of shave quality and efficiency the Progress is known for, I have a feeling this Variant is going to become a regular go-to.

More to follow tomorrow!

Very efficient shave this morning! The grip is solid and there's no chance of a slip unless I literally let go of it. Not knowing where to start I set it just past "2" (I know such setting are relative).

There is a noticeable difference in the head geometry when held against a Progress. The Variant top cap is much thicker. The entire razor is quite hefty. If you like heavy adjustable razors this might be one for you.

I still need a few more shaves to learn it but one pass and a bit of touch up using a Gillette 7O'clock Super Stainless destroyed 48 hours of stubble. Highly efficient yet smooth.

We have a winner folks!

After several weeks of shaving with my Variant, all I can say is: this might be the "sleeper" of the year. Parker just catapulted from cheap-n-cheerful go-to to Leader of the Pack. For me, the shaves are that good, and the design encourages improving my technique, which was a surprise. It's not too big or heavy (like my Merkur Vision), not silly-slippery (like my Merkur Futur), and not kinda-sorta worn-out (like my Gillette Super Adjustable, much as I still love it). I can tweak it to a fare-thee-well for the blades I normally use, but, amazingly, it works best with my fave go-to blade (Dorco ST-300...there, I said it again). And it's built so well, it almost borders on overkill...which for guys like us, is probably "just right." :001_smile

Pulled the trigger this morning. Looking for a backup/replacement for my '62 Slim. My slim has increasing plating loss.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
This one is on my short list!

@Zarba, nice avatar!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom