What's new

The Parker Variant (again)

I'm continuing to play with the setting on mine, .5 increment at a time. All while using the same Kai blade. IMHO the Parker head offers a wider range of angles than the Merkur. This is an excellent razor at any price point. Smooth, efficient, adjustable, and well made. I'm having a difficult time putting it down and getting back to my Asylum RX. If you don't have an adjustable razor grab a Variant. If the only adjustable razor you've used is a vintage Gillette, grab a Variant and I think most will be surprised at how much smoother the Parker shaves.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I would like to see one with a 3 inch handle and as fat as a Fatboy.
+1 I do love shorter handles. It seems like my last few razor purchases have been four inches long. It is no never mind because they are unique and shave well...but still. I'm thinking about springing for a Variant in August regardless. I collect new and have Brass, Zamak, Stainless, CC,OC, Bakelite, and Slants, seems like I need an adjustable to round things out.

I'm continuing to play with the setting on mine, .5 increment at a time. All while using the same Kai blade. IMHO the Parker head offers a wider range of angles than the Merkur. This is an excellent razor at any price point. Smooth, efficient, adjustable, and well made. I'm having a difficult time putting it down and getting back to my Asylum RX. If you don't have an adjustable razor grab a Variant. If the only adjustable razor you've used is a vintage Gillette, grab a Variant and I think most will be surprised at how much smoother the Parker shaves.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Except for the Rx bit. I love my Rx beast....:thumbup1:

The Variant has been quite a surprise. I've settled into a good routine (for me) which is setting 3 for first pass, setting 2 for 2nd pass and buffing.

The Variant is working so well for me the last 2 shaves I pitted it against my current favorite DE, an ATT S1. Using a Kai blade in both razors I've been using the ATT on one side of my face and the Variant on the other. I notice some mild tugging with the Variant...no more so than I do any other non-slanted DE...but that tugging disappears if I use a "Gillette Slide" technique. No tugging with the ATT slant. Now the surprise...I get a closer, smoother, more comfortable shave with 2 passes and some mild buffing with the Variant than I get in 3 passes and some buffing with the ATT.

The head on the Variant is quite efficient and suits my beard to a T.

Every time I pick this razor up it surprises me in a good way. Its a Zamak headed Parker and I wanted to not be impressed, in fact I expected to be bored and underwhelmed. Instead its exceeded my expectations at every turn.

Nice write up and comparo..... I can't speak for the ATT S1, but I have thrown the Variant against a Futur, Vision, Progress, 6s and a 63'Slim. It has bested all except perhaps the Vision. But it's nipping at its heels....

Nice write up and comparo..... I can't speak for the ATT S1, but I have thrown the Variant against a Futur, Vision, Progress, 6s and a 63'Slim. It has bested all except perhaps the Vision. But it's nipping at its heels....

The Parker provided a much smoother shave than my 6s as well. This cursed Variant keeps knocking my favorite DE's off the top of the hill.

I probably will. I looked into it a couple years ago, but never got around to it. I may do that and gift it to my son.

Cerakote for North shore razors or Delta echo may be a good route. I have a red tip and it is spectacular. I am continually amazed by how it turned out

I recently bought a parker variant, and out of all the old gillettes I have, and the rockwell 6c that just got shipped out. This is the only razor that isn't comfortable at any setting, it feels like its just scraping and isn't comfortable in the slightest. I'm not sure if the angle is just really strange, or if there is something wrong with the one I received. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this as well.

Is the blade aligned properly between the top cap and base? And are the alignment markings on the top cap and base on the same side?
IMG_0258.JPG

I recently bought a parker variant, and out of all the old gillettes I have, and the rockwell 6c that just got shipped out. This is the only razor that isn't comfortable at any setting, it feels like its just scraping and isn't comfortable in the slightest. I'm not sure if the angle is just really strange, or if there is something wrong with the one I received. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this as well.

Last edited:
That's not good. You might possibly have a defective razor. Have you tried contacting the vendor and see if you can get an exchange?
no not yet, I just received it a few days ago and was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I'll contact them and see if we can work it out. It was sold by super safety razors on amazon, hopefully they have good support. I might have an issue though since a family member tossed out the box.

You should have no problem with SSR. That's where I purchased both of mine. They have a vested interest in Parker and they have excellent customer service. You should have no problem with them getting it resolved. Good Luck and don't give up on the Variant yet. It truly is a great razor....
no not yet, I just received it a few days ago and was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I'll contact them and see if we can work it out. It was sold by super safety razors on amazon, hopefully they have good support. I might have an issue though since a family member tossed out the box.

Top Bottom