What's new

The Parker Variant (again)

Pulled the trigger this morning. Looking for a backup/replacement for my '62 Slim. My slim has increasing plating loss.
You won't be disappointed. Smoother cutting performance and a perfect feel in the hands. Great weight and balance. Adjustment and finish is spot on, at least with the 2 that I purchased. I have no regrets......

You won't be disappointed. Smoother cutting performance and a perfect feel in the hands. Great weight and balance. Adjustment and finish is spot on, at least with the 2 that I purchased. I have no regrets......

I hope. Amazing that my 55 year old Slim is still in good (mechanical) shape; only the loss of plating on the handle gives away its age. Performs flawlessly, which is amazing for what was probably a $2 throwaway razor

I hope. Amazing that my 55 year old Slim is still in good (mechanical) shape; only the loss of plating on the handle gives away its age. Performs flawlessly, which is amazing for what was probably a $2 throwaway razor
Have you considered replating the Slim? Probably last another 50-60 years.

Had my recently acquired Variant on the road this week traveling. I think this is my go-to travel razor.

I don't usually shave every day, unless I am traveling to meetings. The Variant gives me the flexibility to adjust so I don't nick myself, yet get a perfect shave.

I'd intended for my new Rockwell C to be my traveler, but not likely anymore. Between the Variant for travel and my Rockwell 6S for home, my other 60+ new and vintage DE's are getting ignored. Must pif....so hard...

Variant...recommended!!

My son ordered me a Variant off Amazon and it arrived today. This was never on my radar but after reading these reviews I'm looking forward to trying it. Will give it a go tomorrow and report back.

First shave with a Variant is in the books. My son ordered one for himself and dropped one in his cart for me. I have the graphite colored handle. I will echo all of the positive comments in this thread. The past several months I've been on a SE / SR kick so my DE's haven't been getting much attention. As a frame of reference, an Atlas handled S1 ATT is my favorite DE.

Upon opening the box I was immediately struck by the size and heft of the Variant. It's a solid tool to be sure. Fit and finish are excellent. Balance, grip, maneuverability are all very good. It's been years since I owned a Progress. They are darn good razors, but some of the Progress quality quirks I found annoying. I don't see any of those issues with the Parker. Is the Parker a shameless copy of the Progress.....of course. But the fact is their execution appears to be much better.

I like to ease my way into a new razor, so I dropped a new Kai blade in the Variant (my favorite DE blade) and set the gap to number 2. I left the setting at 2 for all 3 passes. I'm going to take my time learning this razor, I'll likely keep increasing the aggressiveness a half step at a time until I max out. Then spend some shaves adjusting the aggressiveness for each pass.

A setting of 2 felt very similar to the ATT S1. Mild, but not Tech mild, more of an aggressive mild if that makes sense. I used Fines Lavender soap and after 2 passes I had a DFS. Typically I stop there, I no longer chase the BBS dragon on a daily basis, but I wanted to see how close I could get on 2 so I went in for a third ATG pass. It was a smooth pass with zero irritation. Quite impressive that on a low setting I achieved essentially a BBS shave in 3 passes. For me that's unusual. To reach a true BBS I would have needed a bit of buffing in a couple trouble areas, but I left them alone.

I found the correct angle immediately, its intuitive and easy to locate and seems to be a fairly wide band. I had no trouble maintaining the proper angle throughout the shave. If you like audible feedback, as I do, this razors gives it to you in spades.

I'm only one shave in, but I am quite impressed. In time maybe some quality issues will appear, but I doubt it. The Variant appears to be well built. This is a nice razor, at under $60 if a guy is looking for a modern progressive 2 piece this is the way to go. It beats the Progress in every category and I think is on par with the tweaked Progresses like the Mergress only half the price.

I've been on a den clearing kick all winter and have PIF'd and sold many razors the past several months. My son got this for me unexpectedly so now I am up one razor, which means I have to sell one that I was otherwise planning on keeping. After 1 shave I like this Parker so much that I am putting my Rockwell up on BST later this weekend.

The Parker Variant is a keeper.

First shave with a Variant is in the books. My son ordered one for himself and dropped one in his cart for me. I have the graphite colored handle. I will echo all of the positive comments in this thread. The past several months I've been on a SE / SR kick so my DE's haven't been getting much attention. As a frame of reference, an Atlas handled S1 ATT is my favorite DE.

Upon opening the box I was immediately struck by the size and heft of the Variant. It's a solid tool to be sure. Fit and finish are excellent. Balance, grip, maneuverability are all very good. It's been years since I owned a Progress. They are darn good razors, but some of the Progress quality quirks I found annoying. I don't see any of those issues with the Parker. Is the Parker a shameless copy of the Progress.....of course. But the fact is their execution appears to be much better.

I like to ease my way into a new razor, so I dropped a new Kai blade in the Variant (my favorite DE blade) and set the gap to number 2. I left the setting at 2 for all 3 passes. I'm going to take my time learning this razor, I'll likely keep increasing the aggressiveness a half step at a time until I max out. Then spend some shaves adjusting the aggressiveness for each pass.

A setting of 2 felt very similar to the ATT S1. Mild, but not Tech mild, more of an aggressive mild if that makes sense. I used Fines Lavender soap and after 2 passes I had a DFS. Typically I stop there, I no longer chase the BBS dragon on a daily basis, but I wanted to see how close I could get on 2 so I went in for a third ATG pass. It was a smooth pass with zero irritation. Quite impressive that on a low setting I achieved essentially a BBS shave in 3 passes. For me that's unusual. To reach a true BBS I would have needed a bit of buffing in a couple trouble areas, but I left them alone.

I found the correct angle immediately, its intuitive and easy to locate and seems to be a fairly wide band. I had no trouble maintaining the proper angle throughout the shave. If you like audible feedback, as I do, this razors gives it to you in spades.

I'm only one shave in, but I am quite impressed. In time maybe some quality issues will appear, but I doubt it. The Variant appears to be well built. This is a nice razor, at under $60 if a guy is looking for a modern progressive 2 piece this is the way to go. It beats the Progress in every category and I think is on par with the tweaked Progresses like the Mergress only half the price.

I've been on a den clearing kick all winter and have PIF'd and sold many razors the past several months. My son got this for me unexpectedly so now I am up one razor, which means I have to sell one that I was otherwise planning on keeping. After 1 shave I like this Parker so much that I am putting my Rockwell up on BST later this weekend.

The Parker Variant is a keeper.
Nice write up. The Parker Variant, I believe is starting to really pick up more steam as the finish and quality get better. Parker has a winner on their hands....

It's been some years since I used a Merkur Progress, so it might just be my imagination, but I believe the Variant head holds the blade at a somewhat steeper angle than the Progress. Could anyone that has both razors comment?

Shave 2, I left the blade gap set at 2 because yesterday's shave was so good. Same 3 pass shave, same excellent result. I like the geometry of the head, it fits me well, paired with a Kai blade it's smooth as can be.

No matter how often I reach to a Gillette adj. or the Weber PH It seems I wind up taking the Variant. Iv set mine on 3 for a 2 pass shave.

I've used various Gillette adjustable for decades and while truly love them, they never quite provide me with a smooth shave. I'm looking forward to getting to know this Variant.

This morning I checked to see why the Variant shaves better than the Gillette Adjs. The blade Gap can be the same BUT the blade exposure Is greater on the Variant also is greater on my Weber PH. I have also noteised that on most of my Gillette's the blade exposure is about the same. We seem to forget that blade exposure is an important factor in when finding what the aggresivness of a razor. 8ts not just blade gap but the combination of both.

Last week, I stopped by my local cigar store to see if they had a Variant in stock and they did, they have several, charcoal and natural. It's the first time to see one in person, they look like they are well made and I like the weight. I looked at them quite awhile and then got sidetracked by the Fatips, first time to see one of those also. I ended up leaving without buying anything, to me, $59 is a lot to pay for a razor. That's quite a bit more than I've ever paid for a razor, including my Toggle.

Maybe I'll go back and look at them again this week.

Got a couple more shaves in, setting of 3 was great for me, 4 is verging on being too aggressive. I think I'll go back to a setting of 1 to try it but I suspect 3 will work great when I've gone a couple days between shaves and 2 as an every day setting. I'm quite impressed with the Variant, what a great razor, very smooth and efficient.

Wonderful razor. I think it's better than the standard Progress and even the Mergress. Eric Mer converted mine some years ago but couldn't imagine paying $125 for one today. The Variant is better.

I hope in the future they might consider one with a 3 inch shorter handle. That would be great.

Wonderful razor. I think it's better than the standard Progress and even the Mergress. Eric Mer converted mine some years ago but couldn't imagine paying $125 for one today. The Variant is better.

I hope in the future they might consider one with a 3 inch shorter handle. That would be great.

Agree with this post 100%

I would like to see one with a 3 inch handle and as fat as a Fatboy.

Top Bottom