What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

2 Durham T-Types and a Durham Dorset.
Suggestions for blades are welcome - I found the Personna Pathology blades rather awful

I'm afraid the Personna Pathology blades are about it, they are carbon steel so at least you can try to improve the edge. I cork mine before the first use, and then strop after each use with an Ingersoll Dollar Stropping outfit (check ebay, they are blade specific and most of the ones I see for sale are the Durham-oriented ones). I manage to get about 6 shaves out of blade using the razor like an SE, only one edge per shave. I flip the blades around between shaves so I'm using an edge every other shave.

If you can't find an Ingersoll stropper, get a complete Durham Duplex outfit that still has the stropping attachment and use that to strop the blade the traditional way. There are plenty of them on the bay and most go for little $$.

I just received this unusual Kirby Beard razor... unusual in that I have never seen this thin handle and the base plate is stamped instead of machined. The date stamped on the plate is 1936.

I haven’t shaved with it yet, but judging from the blade gap and exposure, I expect to have to be careful !! I’ll reply with a shave report in a few days.

The case is not original to this razor, but it fits nicely (thanks Chawing).

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonderful score, Matt, congrats. I am really looking forward to your shave review - as I myself have my first Kirby inbound :thumbup1:

I just received this unusual Kirby Beard razor... unusual in that I have never seen this thin handle and the base plate is stamped instead of machined. The date stamped on the plate is 1936.

I haven’t shaved with it yet, but judging from the blade gap and exposure, I expect to have to be careful !! I’ll reply with a shave report in a few days.

The case is not original to this razor, but it fits nicely (thanks Chawing).

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I’m three shaves in and this is my favorite of the Kirby Beard line so far.

Loaded up with a Gillette yellow, it’s more aggressive than the smooth cap, but doesn’t bite. There is pleasant blade feel and it does require attention and a light touch. I’ve had two or three weepers in the first two shaves, but none yesterday...

The blade exposure allows for a
steep shave angle, which is what I prefer. There is moderate audible feedback.

I do enjoy the thin handle, it’s very maneuverable, the thin head allows great access under the nose...

Overall one of my favorites, I think. May not have the rarity or coolness factor of a Darwin or Rythmic, but if this were my only shaver, I wouldn’t be disappointed.

My pleasure ;) What a beauty ! Your handle is absolutely genuine, note also the cap that doesn't have the little spurs in the corners. This is uncommon, but also genuine. The Kirby references indicates your razor is a number #5, sometimes called "#5 publicitaire", this name variant can mean two things, not sure which is correct : either the baseplate of this model had bigger writing so the brand stands out, or the case was in cardboard with the name standing out.

View attachment 1068770

From 1932 :

View attachment 1068772

I have the exact razor with no baseplate markings. A blank slate. So maybe your interpretation is correct.

I know zero about this razor which quite frankly knocks my socks off.

What is the era and company details?

1930's made in Scotland by the Davies Razor Company of Glasgow. Easy to use. Adjustable. When one turns the knob to load it, the bottom plate moves down and turns to allow the blade to be loaded. Poetry in motion.

Have a look at my post about my Rythmic here:

Asylum Guido provided information about it here:

You will have to pry it from Tom. Sorry man. Didn’t know you were hunting for one. They don’t come around very often that’s for sure.

Haha don't worry. My wish list is sooooooo long so it's normal to lose track of what's on it, and what's high on the list. Cheers !

And nice IDFs !

Here's a bakelite razor and case, the previous owner said it was a Double Six, I'm pretty sure it's made by Souplex, Ltd. of Morecambe, England.

Ungodly aggressive! The case is unhinged and I haven't opened the blade as much as I really want a peek.

Well that didn’t take long. I figured I’d start at the beginning of this thread and see if I’d come across any info in my “new” Bakelite razor. Found it on the first two pages: Double Six Minor.
Shaved with it today and the ultra-light weight of the razor was a new experience, but I didn’t find it too aggressive.
I wonder if you still have it, 7.5 years later...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Well that didn’t take long. I figured I’d start at the beginning of this thread and see if I’d come across any info in my “new” Bakelite razor. Found it on the first two pages: Double Six Minor.
Shaved with it today and the ultra-light weight of the razor was a new experience, but I didn’t find it too aggressive.
I wonder if you still have it, 7.5 years later...
Yup, still have it. Haven't used it for about six years -- huge rotation. :001_rolle

Look up Souplex in the ShaveWiki. Congrats!

Top Bottom