What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

In chrome and a complete box, very nice.
On mine the plating is gold in colour. Its not as smooth a shaver as my Gibbs and I wonder if its the plating. Do you have a Gibbs and if so how does it compare?
I don't have a Gibbs, as I never care for them due to the proprietary blades (or the need to modify them). So, I can't compare them, sorry.

I found this Persona a very nice shaver, although a bit on the gentle side...

There are several variations of the Gibbs adjustable model, with different weights... How much weight has your Gibbs? This Persona weights about 76g...

Enviado do meu Redmi Note 6 Pro através do Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Afaik Autofix cases come with Famex marked heads and Autofix handles. For comparison this German Bonsa straight has the exactly same emblem as the DE.
Probably Bonsa-Böttingen co-operated with a French manufacturer and sold Famex DEs in Germany as Autofix/Bonsa, and their straights were sold in France as Famex?
Something like the Ben Hur/Apollo.

3A4BAB84-4F13-492E-BB63-E5A1C30A83DC.jpeg

Adam

There are several variations of the Gibbs adjustable model, with different weights... How much weight has your Gibbs? This Persona weights about 76g...

I only know of 2 variations.
The Model 9 and the Model 15/17.

I personally find both the Personna and Gibbs razors too light, so use them with brass handles.

I only know of 2 variations.
The Model 9 and the Model 15/17.

I personally find both the Personna and Gibbs razors too light, so use them with brass handles.

Hi Clouds,

Yes, there are the Gibbs #15 and #17 models.
However, don’t overrate catalog numbers on the Gibbs razors, as they don’t reflect production changes over time.

Generally, the #17 is heavier, about ~78g, and it is made of brass, just like the Personna Micromatic. They can be either chrome or gold plated.

As for the #15 razors, can be either brass or aluminum.
Some of them feature a lighter head, made of aluminium, and weight about ~38g.
Others will be very similar to the #17 model and feature a brass head and weight close to the 78g.
As the #17, the #15 can be either gold or chrome plated.
But, as you can imagine, a #15 in aluminum can deliver a rather different shave than a #15 in brass.

Of course I'm not talking about the #9 as it is very different from the #15/#17 models.

D

dangerousrazor

B. Altman 2 piece razor.

Cant find any info. The head looks just like non floating head barbasol. So it could be one of the razors that Conrad razor had made. but I prefer its handle to Barbasol.

20191119_191335.jpg

Tomorrow I will try to shave with my Legión Extranjera. The head looks like a Single Ring head, but it has so much blade exposure, that it is cutting within a 30° angle, i.e. from about 40° to 70° from perpendicular position. I hope to get through without a blood bath.

That was an adventure. Two small cuts larger than my normal nicks, but they still stopped bleeding with cold water. And my closest shave. I will try to make a photo of the blade exposure.

Attachments

• LegiónExtranjera.jpg
    LegiónExtranjera.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 24
That is the best I can do with the blade exposure of the Legión Extranjera. On the left is a Single Ring. Blades are blunt. They are a tiny bit longer when sharp.

Legión_Extranjera-Blade_Gap.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Personna 'Flat Bottom' DE.

20191119_212823~2.jpg
20191119_213022.jpg
20191119_213038.jpg
photostudio_1574176937054.jpg
20191119_064155~2.jpg

One of the best razors I have ever had the pleasure of using to shave. Mild and efficient. Great results.

YMMV :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I hear that flat bottomed razors make the rockin' world go round.

Or something along those lines anyway...

That they do. ;)

I don't know what else to call this Personna. There's no model number I can find. Guess I could use the 'BBS-0' nickname the YouTube reviewer used? At least folks would have a point of reference with BBS-0.

Top Bottom