What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Gotta love the D-Clic ! I have one now in black bakelite, with a different case, somewhere in there :

Attachments

• IMG-9589.jpg
    IMG-9589.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 68
R

romsitsa

The NEgus shaves very nicely ! It was available in defferent colors, I have a red one. Some were marked Negus, some unbranded, and some were branded with advertisements ! I have seen one for cigarettes, if I am not mistaken.

@romsitsa It is a metal slant from Ile de France ;)

Thank you for the detailed photos. It's a pretty nice razor, luckily it takes proprietary blades so I don't need to chase one :)

Adam

I just received this unusual Kirby Beard razor... unusual in that I have never seen this thin handle and the base plate is stamped instead of machined. The date stamped on the plate is 1936.

I haven’t shaved with it yet, but judging from the blade gap and exposure, I expect to have to be careful !! I’ll reply with a shave report in a few days.

The case is not original to this razor, but it fits nicely (thanks Chawing).

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received this unusual Kirby Beard razor... unusual in that I have never seen this thin handle and the base plate is stamped instead of machined. The date stamped on the plate is 1936.

I haven’t shaved with it yet, but judging from the blade gap and exposure, I expect to have to be careful !! I’ll reply with a shave report in a few days.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Stellar find

My pleasure ;) What a beauty ! Your handle is absolutely genuine, note also the cap that doesn't have the little spurs in the corners. This is uncommon, but also genuine. The Kirby references indicates your razor is a number #5, sometimes called "#5 publicitaire", this name variant can mean two things, not sure which is correct : either the baseplate of this model had bigger writing so the brand stands out, or the case was in cardboard with the name standing out.

Kirby 4-5 a.jpg

From 1932 :

Kirby 4-5 c.jpg

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Excellent score! (I think I made a run at that one myself). Let us know how it shaves.

My pleasure ;) What a beauty ! Your handle is absolutely genuine, note also the cap that doesn't have the little spurs in the corners. This is uncommon, but also genuine. The Kirby references indicates your razor is a number #5, sometimes called "#5 publicitaire", this name variant can mean two things, not sure which is correct : either the baseplate of this model had bigger writing so the brand stands out, or the case was in cardboard with the name standing out.

View attachment 1068770

From 1932 :

View attachment 1068772

Oh my goodness. These archives are wonderful... do you have records of all the Kirby designs?

Top Bottom