What's new

The new adjustable Tatara Muramasa

Quick question for anyone who bought....

What value do they state on the customs forms?

That sort of price tag could do some real damage on the duties front...
specially if they use a carrier like dhl.

PM me if it's not appropriate to state it here.

Mine is showing up with no duty AFAIK, by FedEx. Should arrive this week so I'll know for sure....

Some thoughts on the Muramasa having used it a few days now - lengthy, so my apologies. First the fit and finish are superb - this is one solid razor, 316L stainless, either bead or sandblasted. It will look the same, and perform the same, for decades or a lifetime (likely several). Second, the blade stability and clamping are outstanding - the blade isn't going anywhere once you tighten the top cap, and there is zero blade chatter. And the shave is exceptional - usable through all 5 settings, infinitely adjustable (no clicks). Setting 1 is extremely mild (AS-D2 territory or milder) - and likely not a setting most experienced shavers will be using, but certainly usable for the fair-faced, thin bearded, sensitive-skinned shavers that find even moderately aggressive razors problematic. Settings 2, 3 or 4 are increasingly efficient, but still smooth enough for most users to crank up on their average morning shave. Setting 5 is the max on this razor, which unfortunately is just beginning territory for some in the aggressive razor camp. No multiple turns of the dial, no R42 razor here. But if your sweet spot is between the very mild and the modestly efficient, the Muramasa may well fit the bill. And there isn't another razor, past or present, with this engineering design. Speaking of which....

Technical aspects: weighs in at 105g, short(ish) handle at 59.6mm, progressively shallow golf-ball dimples for grip. Very minimalist, sort of art deco design, which I actually like. Balance to me is perfect, with the CG just at the juncture of the adjustment column and the handle. It operates as a 3-piece, with a positive lock to the blade with Tatara's signature "T" slots in the baseplate, by just removing the handle, lifting the top cap, inserting a blade and screwing the handle back on, like any other 3-piece. The adjustment column is part of the baseplate/safety bar assembly, separate from the handle. The razor actually breaks down into seven pieces - top cap, baseplate (3 parts - center plate with 2 separate safety bar plates), adjustment column (with a center locking screw containing the numbers on the outside), and the handle. No springs, wires, clips or additional screws. The adjustment number is visible through a small hole where a dimple should be (small and hard to see, but actually not needed - one number up or down is simply one line of dimples over). Tatara's included key is used to unscrew the center locking screw for complete disassembly, which is dead easy. The Muramasa is the least complex, most solidly built adjustable razor I have used, which includes the Slim, Fat Boy, Mergress, Merkur Futur, and Rex Ambassador. Certainly a short list, but similar concept behind all. The Muramasa is unique among them, adjusting blade gap and exposure by moving the safety bars laterally rather than by raising the cap or lowering the base plate. That said....

Potential issues: I say "potential," because none of the following have affected my shave or the function of my razor - for me. The first and most obvious is the handle. True to Tatara's other razors, you won't be replacing this handle with something else. This is it. If you don't like a shorter handle with a rounded base, you'll either have to get used to it or skip this razor. The little dimples are grippy enough for me, but they're not Rex territory (which I think has the most positive grip of any razor I've used or seen), although they're certainly significantly better than some I've used (the Asylum Evo comes to mind). And it's short (although there are rumors of a longer option in the works). Second potential issue is actually the precision construction of this razor. The individual parts look almost like they were hand-fitted - it goes together like a Swiss watch. I could probably hammer nails (figuratively) with my Fat Boy, and then shave with it (maybe after a minor door adjustment). I suspect if you bend a part of this razor (although unlikely considering the construction), it will need a trip to the maker. And third, probably most significantly, is the design itself, which is ironically a strength as well. The razor adjusts the blade gap and exposure by moving the independent safety bars in and out - unique to the Muramasa. This means that the safety bars are in two pieces, unlike any other razor, which almost always are part of a solid baseplate. It also means that their individual alignment in the baseplate needs to be perfect, for the blade edge to be perfectly parallel to the safety bar. Otherwise, you have a - sort of - unintentional slant razor. And Tatara does this by precisely fitting these parts into the baseplate. Very precisely. And if you adjust your razor a lot, this has the potential to wear these parts, creating a less precise fit. I mention this because on my razor, new, you can dial an adjustment and then push in on the safety bars and feel a very slight movement - fractions of a millimeter, but movement - on either end. On any setting but 5. On 5, the safety bars are retracted to the maximum and actually are seated fully in the baseplate, with nowhere to move. Time will tell if this matters, and I fully suspect that it won't - I have nothing but praise for the fit, finish and function of this razor, and as far as fitting tolerances, I also suspect that the Muramasa is orders of magnitude closer than any of the razors I mentioned. Perhaps of any adjustable razor.

So there it is, warts and all, just my experience with just my razor. It now sits on my counter as my sole DE, having replaced everything else, it's that good. Pending, of course, receipt of the Titanium Taiga I just ordered. :001_tongu

20210707_192743.jpg

20210707_203214.jpg

Last edited:
And one addendum and correction with further use. I had counted 7 parts disassembled (above), but there are actually 8 - around the threaded adjustment shaft (the part with the numbers) is a tiny rubber "O" ring, presumably to keep it centered in the adjustment column (the part with the window), but why it is really there is actually mystery to me, since the internal shaft screws tightly into the baseplate, and has just enough tolerance that the shaft (with the numbers) allows the adjustment column to turn easily and secures it firmly to the baseplate (hence the key to unscrew it), and as far as I can tell, keeps it centered, without any assistance otherwise needed. So even though it doesn't have a wearable and replaceable spring, it does have a wearable and replaceable rubber grommet (which I assume will last for years, but depends I suppose on how often you adjust it). "All stainless" then becomes a little less descriptive (all stainless with one rubber bit being more precise).

20210805_174831.jpg

Last edited:
Some thoughts on the Muramasa having used it a few days now - lengthy, so my apologies. First the fit and finish are superb - this is one solid razor, 316L stainless, either bead or sandblasted. It will look the same, and perform the same, for decades or a lifetime (likely several). Second, the blade stability and clamping are outstanding - the blade isn't going anywhere once you tighten the top cap, and there is zero blade chatter. And the shave is exceptional - usable through all 5 settings, infinitely adjustable (no clicks). Setting 1 is extremely mild (AS-D2 territory or milder) - and likely not a setting most experienced shavers will be using, but certainly usable for the fair-faced, thin bearded, sensitive-skinned shavers that find even moderately aggressive razors problematic. Settings 2, 3 or 4 are increasingly efficient, but still smooth enough for most users to crank up on their average morning shave. Setting 5 is the max on this razor, which unfortunately is just beginning territory for some in the aggressive razor camp. No multiple turns of the dial, no R42 razor here. But if your sweet spot is between the very mild and the modestly efficient, the Muramasa may well fit the bill. And there isn't another razor, past or present, with this engineering design. Speaking of which....

Technical aspects: weighs in at 105g, short(ish) handle at 59.6mm, progressively shallow golf-ball dimples for grip. Very minimalist, sort of art deco design, which I actually like. Balance to me is perfect, with the CG just at the juncture of the adjustment column and the handle. It operates as a 3-piece, with a positive lock to the blade with Tatara's signature "T" slots in the baseplate, by just removing the handle, lifting the top cap, inserting a blade and screwing the handle back on, like any other 3-piece. The adjustment column is part of the baseplate/safety bar assembly, separate from the handle. The razor actually breaks down into seven pieces - top cap, baseplate (3 parts - center plate with 2 separate safety bar plates), adjustment column (with a center locking screw containing the numbers on the outside), and the handle. No springs, wires, clips or additional screws. The adjustment number is visible through a small hole where a dimple should be (small and hard to see, but actually not needed - one number up or down is simply one line of dimples over). Tatara's included key is used to unscrew the center locking screw for complete disassembly, which is dead easy. The Muramasa is the least complex, most solidly built adjustable razor I have used, which includes the Slim, Fat Boy, Mergress, Merkur Futur, and Rex Ambassador. Certainly a short list, but similar concept behind all. The Muramasa is unique among them, adjusting blade gap and exposure by moving the safety bars laterally rather than by raising the cap or lowering the base plate. That said....

Potential issues: I say "potential," because none of the following have affected my shave or the function of my razor - for me. The first and most obvious is the handle. True to Tatara's other razors, you won't be replacing this handle with something else. This is it. If you don't like a shorter handle with a rounded base, you'll either have to get used to it or skip this razor. The little dimples are grippy enough for me, but they're not Rex territory (which I think has the most positive grip of any razor I've used or seen), although they're certainly significantly better than some I've used (the Asylum Evo comes to mind). And it's short (although there are rumors of a longer option in the works). Second potential issue is actually the precision construction of this razor. The individual parts look almost like they were hand-fitted - it goes together like a Swiss watch. I could probably hammer nails (figuratively) with my Fat Boy, and then shave with it (maybe after a minor door adjustment). I suspect if you bend a part of this razor (although unlikely considering the construction), it will need a trip to the maker. And third, probably most significantly, is the design itself, which is ironically a strength as well. The razor adjusts the blade gap and exposure by moving the independent safety bars in and out - unique to the Muramasa. This means that the safety bars are in two pieces, unlike any other razor, which almost always are part of a solid baseplate. It also means that their individual alignment in the baseplate needs to be perfect, for the blade edge to be perfectly parallel to the safety bar. Otherwise, you have a - sort of - unintentional slant razor. And Tatara does this by precisely fitting these parts into the baseplate. Very precisely. And if you adjust your razor a lot, this has the potential to wear these parts, creating a less precise fit. I mention this because on my razor, new, you can dial an adjustment and then push in on the safety bars and feel a very slight movement - fractions of a millimeter, but movement - on either end. On any setting but 5. On 5, the safety bars are retracted to the maximum and actually are seated fully in the baseplate, with nowhere to move. Time will tell if this matters, and I fully suspect that it won't - I have nothing but praise for the fit, finish and function of this razor, and as far as fitting tolerances, I also suspect that the Muramasa is orders of magnitude closer than any of the razors I mentioned. Perhaps of any adjustable razor.

So there it is, warts and all, just my experience with just my razor. It now sits on my counter as my sole DE, having replaced everything else, it's that good. Pending, of course, receipt of the Titanium Taiga I just ordered. :001_tongu

View attachment 1293512

View attachment 1293513
Wow , this kicked your other razors out of the den? Really? The look very interesting.

Wow , this kicked your other razors out of the den? Really? The look very interesting.

Yep, although I now have a Titanium Taiga to compare, and I'm liking it. So maybe will be TWO razors on the counter as well! :biggrin1: Seriously, between the two or with just one or the other, everything I need or want in a razor is covered - balance, weight, blade gap and exposure. The Taiga is a gem - beautifully finished, light in the hand, simple to break down and clean, with a range far beyond anything I'll ever use. The Muramasa is a precisely fitted bank vault of a razor, with heft and quality, that looks and feels indestructible. And has just enough range to cover anything I need. It's a Shylock quandary, "my daughter, my ducats," but right now probably alternate days for each. Until I get my Rocnel! :001_tongu

I purchased the Muramasa enthusiastically, not least due to the innovative
adjustment mechanism, but also due to the claim on their website that boldly states:

SUITABLE FOR EVERY SKIN AND HAIR TYPE

Just let the meaning of that statement sink in for a moment.

When I received it, I found the razor to be rather mild and ineffectual for my hair
growth. The razor was simply not as described on the manufacturer's website.

Upon speaking with the manufacturer over the phone, he confirmed that it
is indeed "mild"....he used that word, not I. Luckily, they offer a 15 day, no
questions asked return policy, which I instantly availed of.

As I write, the razor is on a long and tortuous journey back to Tatara for a full refund.

It has been 42 days languishing in transit, against a delivery estimate of 7-16 business
days.

I can't see Tatara as being responsible for this delay. But the brand is indelibly linked
to my poor experience.

For anyone who is contemplating a purchase, if you like really mild razors, you will
probably like the Muramasa Adjustable... but there are better contenders for the money.
And you might want to save yourself the nightmarish prospect of a long drawn out
return process....or a trip to the BST classifieds.

If you want something that is seductively smooth and switches up from magnificently mild
to devastatingly efficient, consider a Taiga Adjustable in any metal.

Last edited:
Its a cool idea and it's commendable for tatara to innovate it but they should have extended its range to the highly aggressive side of the spectrum especially if they wanted to charge serious money. There seems little point for an adjustable that cannot go the full range from mild to aggressive.

Its a cool idea and it's commendable for tatara to innovate it but they should have extended its range to the highly aggressive side of the spectrum especially if they wanted to charge serious money. There seems little point for an adjustable that cannot go the full range from mild to aggressive.

Would be an interesting project - the design itself is a limiting factor I would suspect. On a typical adjustable, it's fairly easy to extend the center post to allow more vertical range - the Taiga and the Rocnel both are examples where you can go through several rotations beyond the initial settings. This increasingly separates the safety bar from the blade, which taken to the extreme would just be a blade with a top cap (at which point I don't know why you wouldn't be shaving with a straight instead :001_smile ). It does allow for settings from essentially zero gap to multiple millimeters above that though, increasing efficiency by increasing the gap. On the Muramasa, you (right now) are limited by the ability to pull the safety bars in toward the center of the razor - increasing blade exposure by extending the edge over the safety bar. It's not unlimited, because the width of the independently moving plates eventually stops at the limit of inward travel (at which point you are at "5," which on their helpful chart is a blade gap of 0.9 and an exposure of 0.17 - certainly not at the far range of "aggressive"). That's plenty aggressive for me, but not for everyone. However, just mulling over the design and considering it's one of the most robust adjustables made, there's plenty of material on the sliding plates to reduce the width, adding an additional millimeter or more to the inward travel. Since fractions of a millimeter matter, that could add a 6, 7, or 8 to the adjustment ring, substantially increasing the range (and in addition, the number of customers who now enjoy an R41). Wouldn't surprise me if there's a Mark II being mulled over right now....

So it's Day 46 of my Tatara Return saga and the tracking seems to have
moved rather decisively ever since I decided to air my rather awful experience.
What are the odds, eh?

The latest tracking status says:
Notification has been sent to recipient. The shipment is under customs clearance

This is a positive development which means that all Tatara needs to do now is show up and pick it up.

Of course, some may ask if there really is a need to publish such things and that this is a private
matter between me and the vendor. I think there is definitely a need to, in light of the situation.
I am going to document the entire thing right up till the moment they issue or refuse to issue my
full refund as they promised to.

EMAIL:

Joao.png

TRACKING NOTICE:

Track 2.png

And one addendum and correction with further use. I had counted 7 parts disassembled (above), but there are actually 8 - around the threaded adjustment shaft (the part with the numbers) is a tiny rubber "O" ring, presumably to keep it centered in the adjustment column (the part with the window), but why it is really there is actually mystery to me, since the internal shaft screws tightly into the baseplate, and has just enough tolerance that the shaft (with the numbers) allows the adjustment column to turn easily and secures it firmly to the baseplate (hence the key to unscrew it), and as far as I can tell, keeps it centered, without any assistance otherwise needed. So even though it doesn't have a wearable and replaceable spring, it does have a wearable and replaceable rubber grommet (which I assume will last for years, but depends I suppose on how often you adjust it). "All stainless" then becomes a little less descriptive (all stainless with one rubber bit being more precise).

View attachment 1307530

And following up on the disassembly, the "O" ring size is 9mm OD, 7mm ID, 1mm CS. You can buy a lifetime+ supply (50) on Amazon for about $5.

I read the posts about efficiency saying that on setting 5, the Muramasa is as efficient as a Karve E and maybe as efficient as a full Nodachi setup. I don't know how aggressive you all like your shaves, but I had the Nodachi and thought it was the most aggressive razor I had ever used. Far more aggressive than even a Fatip OC...so I sold mine. If that is what you consider "mild", I don't want to see the samurai blades you use to shave with.

For me, the big deterrent to buying this razor is that it is so darn expensive.

According to they're site the dimensions are: Weight: 105 gr / Dim. 88,2x44x25 mm / Handle: Ø11.7×59,6 mm

The handle dim. is for the handle only at 59.6mm so I would think to the head which includes the dial it would be the 88.2mm in the above...

Top Bottom