What's new

The new adjustable Tatara Muramasa

So the handle is only 60mm long? That's too short for me, wonder why they didn't make it 80-85mm..

My guess is that they are only measuring the portion of the handle below the adjustment section. The adjustment section also adds some additional length. Judging by the overall proportions, I would be shocked if the total length below the baseplate was only 60mm.

Really like my Masamune and the looks of this razor are interesting to say the least. Price doesn't really bother me because Tatara makes a truly excellent razor. However, I'm sure there will be a detailed review from one of our members fairly soon.

Is it just me or does the loading of the blade require partial disassembly?

That was my question as well. It doesn't really describe changing the blade - if it requires the key then that’s a negative to me compared to other 3-piece razors.

* Just read through all the text and it does say "Load the Blade like you would with a 3-piece Safety Razor." I'm assuming that means you just unscrew the handle, though it's not really clear to me how that works with the adjustment dial. It also states "in-between adjustability" - does that mean infinite like the Rex or half-clicks? And it mentions "hand finished" pieces - does that mean replacement parts (if any) need a trip to the shop (there seem to be some very close tolerances externally)? It's priced like a Ferrari - I'm hoping maintenance is more along the lines of an F150. Eagerly await the first review! :001_smile

Last edited:
I guarantee I would lose the key on the first day. :pipe: :eek2:
Nah bro, I got you covered..just use one of these lol🤣:
bread-tie.jpg

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
That was my question as well. It doesn't really describe changing the blade - if it requires the key then that’s a negative to me compared to other 3-piece razors.

* Just read through all the text and it does say "Load the Blade like you would with a 3-piece Safety Razor." I'm assuming that means you just unscrew the handle, though it's not really clear to me how that works with the adjustment dial. It also states "in-between adjustability" - does that mean infinite like the Rex or half-clicks? And it mentions "hand finished" pieces - does that mean replacement parts (if any) need a trip to the shop (there seem to be some very close tolerances externally)? It's priced like a Ferrari - I'm hoping maintenance is more along the lines of an F150. Eagerly await the first review! :001_smile

According to the text of TATARA's reply, the key is only used for cleaning and maintenance; it is not necessary to use the key for daily replacement of the blade.

"In-between adjustability"──They have an answer that can stay in 4.5, which is the closest to NODACHI's efficiency.

What seems to me the blade is loaded similar to the yaqi adjustable razor and the key is only to disassemble the mechanism for maintenance.
Screenshot_20210411-211850_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210411-212005_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210411-212107_Chrome.jpg

The dial stays put until you want to go for a thorough cleaning, then you'll use the key to disassemble it. Otherwise, it's just like any other 3-piece.

No half clicks, it's "infinite".

Replacement parts should come from the same source (Tatara) so I don't think it matters if they are hand finished or not. :D

I have to admit I may have had it wrong in regards to this razor but it's because of the usual, most vendors or Mfg's leave out so much info when a new product is released... My 1st impression of this razor was it was a hard pass for me because initially I, (and most), thought the razor had to be disassembled with the key to remove the blade....evidently no so!! This was a problem for me as I disassemble my razor after every shave to clean and wipe down to dry the razor so as it will be ready for the next shave as I like to make sure the razor is clean each and every time I use it. Now I'm sure knowing that the blade can be removed without full disassembly will not make me go out and buy this razor but it's nice to know the Mfg'r has really thought this through. Looking forward to hearing what some of the reviews will reveal here....

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Enjoyed the YouTube clip. First impressions is that it looks like a good razor. I really can’t wait for some more reviews by users. I like the Tatara Nodachi which I have used for a while. I am giving this some serious consideration, still thinking about the dollars though.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I am assuming the razor in the YouTube clip was given as a review razor rather than purchased. I have not seen any place to purchase to date. If that is the case then I am not sure how much you can take away from the clip. Maybe it is sour grapes that I have never received a good high quality razor gratis. I think you get my drift regarding the clip. Fair play to the young fella doing the review.

I am assuming the razor in the YouTube clip was given as a review razor rather than purchased. I have not seen any place to purchase to date. If that is the case then I am not sure how much you can take away from the clip. Maybe it is sour grapes that I have never received a good high quality razor gratis. I think you get my drift regarding the clip. Fair play to the young fella doing the review.

Pre-orders are up on their website and the newsletter linked to it. Not sure if it was a "free" razor or not, he does mention the pre-order and waiting (as if he paid for it) but it's not entirely clear in that review.

I will be receiving mine this week. Any suggestions of what i should cover in the review?
I was considering comparing it to my REX or to my tatara nodachi (i have four different base plates options).
What blade should i start with? I prefer to use a feather in my nodachi, but my REX works best (for me) with an astra. If i am doing an comparison i should use the same type of blade.
Does anyone have a table of blade exposure and gap for different settings on the REX?

Top Bottom