What's new

The new adjustable Tatara Muramasa

I will be receiving mine this week. Any suggestions of what i should cover in the review?
I was considering comparing it to my REX or to my tatara nodachi (i have four different base plates options).
What blade should i start with? I prefer to use a feather in my nodachi, but my REX works best (for me) with an astra. If i am doing an comparison i should use the same type of blade.

I'd like to see comparisons to various Tatara combos if you have the plates
Full Masamune
Full Nodachi
Masamune baseplate/Nodachi cap

I haven't used the Rex so that is less useful to me but will be to others

Use your favourite blade that works in both

I will be receiving mine this week. Any suggestions of what i should cover in the review?
I was considering comparing it to my REX or to my tatara nodachi (i have four different base plates options).
What blade should i start with? I prefer to use a feather in my nodachi, but my REX works best (for me) with an astra. If i am doing an comparison i should use the same type of blade.
Does anyone have a table of blade exposure and gap for different settings on the REX?
It would not be bad to see in detail the operation of the mechanism at different settings, the razor in a completely disassembled form, and of course shaving with this razor at different settings. I am very much waiting for a truthful and detailed conclusion.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Does anyone have a table of blade exposure and gap for different settings on the REX?
Look forward to any comparisons you can make.

Another "First impressions"-video. The reviewer admits to still being in the honeymoon-phase, but it sure looks great. But is it too mild?

I would love to see an in depth comparison between the Taiga and the Muramasa (mostly because I will probably only buy one of them)

I received my Tatara adjustable yesterday. Kevy just released two videos on youtube showing the razor disassembled and in use. So i will just describe my initial impression after one shave and a comparison with my Tatara Nodach razor with different base plates.
Blade used: Perma-sharp
Soap MDC

Pros:
- Good balance and weight
- The fit and finish is to my eyes is perfect
- Good blade alignment
- Adjustment mechanism is solid. You are not able move the settings by accident during the shave.
- Really easy to use with a good effective cutting angle range on settings above 3
- Good grip
- I like the handle length
- Fun to shave with. To me it feels like shaving with either the Karve or the Razorock Lupo 0.95, but with a more solid blade feel (setting 4-5) than the Karve.

Cons:
- For my preferences i would like to have two more settings above 5. I will probably be using it on 3 to 5. I would rate the efficiency at setting 5 to the REX Ambassador on setting 3-4.
- I like to rest the razors handle on one of me fingers during the shave. The rounded end does not allow that. But that is just a personal preference, and probably something i will adjust to.
- Price.
- Lather channels could be better. If you like to shave with a lather on the dryer side it might be difficult to rinse.

Muramasa vs Nodachi settup with 4 different base plate options. I do not have the Masamune top cap:

One thing i did not like about the nodachi razor was the thin safety bar. The Muramasa has a more comfortable safety bar.
The head design is so different that a comparison is difficult to make at this point. To me this razor feels like shaving with a Karve razor with a more nimble head and a more rigid blade.
The Muramasa on setting 5 feels as efficient as the full nodachi setup, but much smoother. This might be partly due to the difference in the handle weight and the safety bar. I also have a 3" mini handle, but the Muramasa still felt smoother than with this handle.
Looking at the specs of the Muramasa it should be more efficient on setting 5, but to me this was not the case. I will try the open comb Nodachi tomorrow and see how it compares.
Muramasa on setting 3 compared to the Nodachi with a Masamune (SB) base plate. The Muramasa felt much more smooth, while still as efficient.

Shaving with the Muramasa is to me a more dynamic experience, or more fun if you will. You feel the blade, but you are not worried it will bite you. The Nodachi fells more like a precision tool with less of the dynamic feel of the the blade. The blade on the Nodache (especially the open comb plate) is feel much more secure, providing a different experience (not better). This might be because the Nodachi head bends the blade more compared to the Muramasa.

I really need more time with the razor to make any conclusion, and some of the observation might change slightly over time. I also need to experiment with different blades. Next blade will be a Feather. Perma-sharp works for me in any razor.

If my Razorock Lupo 0.95 and the Karve razor had a kid, the shaving experience would be the Maramasa:)

Please nitpick and debunk any of my statement, but try to be constructive.

Photo: Nodachi vs Muramasa, REX (max setting) vs Muramasa (max setting)

Nodachi comp.jpg
Rex vs Tatara.jpg
Base pl.jpg

@JPO Great summation of your first shave, I am surprised the Muramasa was not more efficient than the Nodachi on setting 5. The nodachi Top cap with the massamune baseplate is one of my daily drivers so this adjustable may be just right for me.

It is really hard to judge efficiency, as you tend to compensate during the shave, and blade feel might be misleading. If you have not tried the open comb option, i would recommend trying it.

Last edited:
I received my Tatara adjustable yesterday. Kevy just released two videos on youtube showing the razor disassembled and in use. So i will just describe my initial impression after one shave and a comparison with my Tatara Nodach razor with different base plates.
Soap MDC

Pros:
- Good blade alignment
- Adjustment mechanism is solid. You are not able move the settings by accident during the shave.
- Really easy to use with a good effective cutting angle range on settings above 3
- Good grip
- Fun to shave with. To me it feels like shaving with either the Karve or the Razorock Lupo 0.95, but with a more solid blade feel (setting 4-5) than the Karve.

Cons:
- For my preferences i would like to have two more settings above 5. I will probably be using it on 3 to 5. I would rate the efficiency at setting 5 to the REX Ambassador on setting 3-4.
- I like to rest the razors handle on one of me fingers during the shave. The rounded end does not allow that. But that is just a personal preference, and probably something i will adjust to.
- Price.
- Lather channels could be better. If you like to shave with a lather on the dryer side it might be difficult to rinse.

Muramasa vs Nodachi settup with 4 different base plate options. I do not have the Masamune top cap:

One thing i did not like about the nodachi razor was the thin safety bar. The Muramasa has a more comfortable safety bar.
The head design is so different that a comparison is difficult to make at this point. To me this razor feels like shaving with a Karve razor with a more nimble head and a more rigid blade.
The Muramasa on setting 5 feels as efficient as the full nodachi setup, but much smoother. This might be partly due to the difference in the handle weight and the safety bar. I also have a 3" mini handle, but the Muramasa still felt smoother than with this handle.
Looking at the specs of the Muramasa it should be more efficient on setting 5, but to me this was not the case. I will try the open comb Nodachi tomorrow and see how it compares.
Muramasa on setting 3 compared to the Nodachi with a Masamune (SB) base plate. The Muramasa felt much more smooth, while still as efficient.

Shaving with the Muramasa is to me a more dynamic experience, or more fun if you will. You feel the blade, but you are not worried it will bite you. The Nodachi fells more like a precision tool with less of the dynamic feel of the the blade. The blade on the Nodache (especially the open comb plate) is feel much more secure, providing a different experience (not better). This might be because the Nodachi head bends the blade more compared to the Muramasa.

I really need more time with the razor to make any conclusion, and some of the observation might change slightly over time. I also need to experiment with different blades. Next blade will be a Feather. Perma-sharp works for me in any razor.

If my Razorock Lupo 0.95 and the Karve razor had a kid, the shaving experience would be the Maramasa:)

View attachment 1259386View attachment 1259387View attachment 1259390

We were all waiting for a thorough review, thank you for taking the time to share your impressions. Very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Soap MDC

Pros:
- Good blade alignment
- Good grip

Cons:
- Price.

Thank you for your impressions and thorough review.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Soap MDC

Pros:
- Good blade alignment
- Good grip

Cons:
- Price.

Wonderful review!

Great review! Just my OCD, but one of the things that bothers me is the (slightly) changing geography of the upper dimples and the settings window with the changing settings with respect to the head and the lower handle. If the shave is excellent, becomes less of an issue and just part of the uniqueness of the design. The picking of nits.... :001_smile

I've had 4 shaves with mine. It's great. Pretty mild, even on 4. But, VERY smooth. It shaves much better than my Rex ever did.

I've used a vintage Sputnik and a Personna Israeli Tomy. Both were great.

It sure was pricy, but atm, I'm not regretting it. It's gorgeous, and solid. If you want something made well that isn't a normal 3 piece razor, then it's going to cost more.

BTW, why is this NOT in the double edged razor forum.?????

I'm kind of getting tired of searching the basement of the forum to talk about brand new razors that are out on the market. Same thing is happening with Blackland Era threads.

Which Karve baseplates would be comparable (in efficiency and face feel/ smoothness) to settings 4 and 5 on Muramasa?

Quick question for anyone who bought....

What value do they state on the customs forms?

That sort of price tag could do some real damage on the duties front...
specially if they use a carrier like dhl.

PM me if it's not appropriate to state it here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom