What's new

The MMA Thread

Matt Brown vs Erik Silva. My god, that first round was one of the best first rounds I've ever seen. Hell, the whole fight was one of the best. I'm not sure who is tougher, the one giving the punishment or the one receiving. Brown down and out came back and beat the hell out of Silva.
Matt Brown vs Johny Hendricks would be a scary scary fight.

I know a lot of you guys watch bellator, but damn this card was pretty damn awesome.

I can't really say much else. definitely worthy of a PPV.

I know a lot of you guys watch bellator, but damn this card was pretty damn awesome.

I can't really say much else. definitely worthy of a PPV.

Only caught the final three fights. Both co-headline bouts were close with scorecards to match. If the losers had won I would have had zero heartburn.

Brings me to Tito. Please just retire. Subbing a MW does not equal being back. And the entire post match interview was a joke.

Shogun was robbed at gunpoint:

Man, i'm glad he's okay.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/1...cked-gunpoint-four-men-rifles-brazil-mma-news
"We were in Rio de Janeiro with Demain and we went to dinner with Mauricio at a restaurant," Alonso told PVT. "At the end of the night, he left us at the hotel at Barra da Tijuca and drove back to Niteroi, where he was staying. He was driving a friend’s car at Linha Vermelha and he was forced to stop by another guy with four men armed with rifles.

"They took his clothes, money and his friend’s car. They said ‘I know who you are, you’re a fighter. Don’t try anything.' It was a sad situation."
"They took everything, even his shirt," he continued. "He was shoeless and shirtless. Imagine a guy at his size asking for a ride in the middle of the night. Nobody stopped to help him. He had to walk one mile to get to the police station. It was tense, but it’s all good now."

I read about this the other day. Feel awful about it.

Dan Henderson feeling "pretty good" off TRT, but doesn't think banning it solved the real problem

Former two-division Pride champion and future UFC Hall of Famer Dan Henderson was the first fighter to receive a therapeutic exemption for the use of testosterone replacement therapy in Nevada in 2007. On Feb. 27, 2014, the Nevada State Athletic Commission banned the use of TRT and discontinued the practice of granting therapeutic exemptions for athletes using the controversial treatment.The 43-year-old Henderson was the last fighter to receive a therapeutic exemption for TRT in Brazil for his last fight at UFC Fight Night 38 on March 23. The Brazilian commission, like many athletic commissions, also banned the use of TRT following Nevada’s ruling.
During a recent appearance on AXS TV’s Inside MMA (watch video here), Henderson said that Nevada’s ban on TRT didn’t address the real problem of athletes abusing performance-enhancing drugs.
“I just felt maybe they weren’t as educated as they could have been on the whole TRT usage and didn’t tackle the real problems of people abusing. They’re going to abuse drugs no matter what. And these guys that they’ve already tested more than anyone else, they kind of dropped the hammer on them instead of across-the-board implementing random drug testing and no-advanced-notice drug testing,” said Henderson. “I feel like that’s the way to handle things and to really clean up the sport. To do what they did, it may be just being uneducated about it or (they) just don’t care.”
Henderson faces undefeated Daniel Cormier on May 24 in the co-main event of UFC 173 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Having gone through the training camp without the use of TRT, Henderson said he hasn’t noticed that big of a difference.
“I’m feeling pretty good. Maybe lay on the couch a little bit more than I used to. But I laid on the couch quite a bit before too,” he joked. “It’s all about making sure you train hard and train smart. And I did that before I was on TRT. I did during and now as well. I’ve won fights and lost fights with it and without it. I really don’t notice too big a difference competition-wise. But hopefully I make a statement that it doesn’t matter in this fight.”
While Henderson is hoping to make a statement against Cormier on May 24 that it doesn’t matter if he’s on TRT or not, he’s in a no-win situation. If he proves that he’s the same without it, then he never needed to be on it. If he doesn’t perform well, then it will be said it was because he was off of it.

Banning TRT won't fix the problem of athletes wanting to get an edge with PEDs. But to me, TRT is still an unfair advantage. I firmly believe that when you get older and can't train at the same level as a 30 year old, and subsequently can't compete at that level, you shouldn't be fighting anymore.

Financially it's terribly difficult because most fighters establish their true skill sets in their late twenties and early thirties and then have a few years' window to really perform in their prime. And with the way MMA is, you may get 3-4 fights in a year if you're a well known fighter. Plus, we all know that you don't start making real money until you've strung together a good couple of fights.

I think Hendo will be a shadow of himself without TRT, he's at the age where his testosterone is likely legitimately dropping and he's been a world class wrestler longer than some MMA fighters have been alive. But I don't feel most of the public agrees with him. I don't feel TRT is misunderstood, I think it's cheating. To my knowledge it doesn't exist in any other sport and it shouldn't. I'm personally sorry that it likely end the career of two fighters I like (Hendo and Chael) but them's the breaks. I still wish the UFC would get serious about real drug testing for it's fighters.

UFC 173 comes up this weekend.

Dillashaw vs Barao
Cormier vs Henderson
Ellenberger vs Lawler
Mizugaki vs Rivera
Krause vs Varner

Chiesa vs Trinaldo
Ferguson vs Kikuno
Camus vs Holdsworth
Clarke vs Iaquinta

I think Barao wins with ease. As does Cormier. Hendo will just to be too slow to land his right hand. I'm really looking forward to Lawler vs Ellenberger, that could be a barn burner.

What are your thoughts?

brucered

System Generated
I also think Barao walks through Dillashaw with ease. Cormier likely the same.

Agreed, the Ellenberger vs Lawler should be a great fight and either guy would be OK winning with me. I think I'm rooting for Jake in this one, but Lawler will probably come out on top.

The other fights I can't say one way or another.

Dillashaw vs Barao
Cormier vs Henderson
Ellenberger vs Lawler
Mizugaki vs Rivera
Krause vs Varner

Chiesa vs Trinaldo
Ferguson vs Kikuno
Camus vs Holdsworth
Clarke vs Iaquinta

I think Barao wins with ease. As does Cormier. Hendo will just to be too slow to land his right hand. I'm really looking forward to Lawler vs Ellenberger, that could be a barn burner.

What are your thoughts?

I agree with all, except i want Hendo to H-bomb the hell out of cormiers jaw. I just don't like the guy. I'm also picking Holdsworth and Iaquinta.

brucered

System Generated
I agree with all, except i want Hendo to H-bomb the hell out of cormiers jaw. I just don't like the guy. I'm also picking Holdsworth and Iaquinta.

Oh yeah...I forgot to say, I do hope Hendo wins and then retires as I'm not a fan of Cormier for some reason. I don't think he would retire even if he wins, but may if he takes a whopping...which would be sad to see him go out like that.

It's one of those cards that nothing really stands out as a Must See for me....but those usually end up being the more entertaining cards.

Another thing to keep an eye on, is tomorrow's TUF. It is the episode with Dana freaking out at the judges over a botched call or deduction. It may be all editing, but it appears they really really screw up.

Last edited:
I think Hendo will be a shadow of himself without TRT, he's at the age where his testosterone is likely legitimately dropping and he's been a world class wrestler longer than some MMA fighters have been alive. But I don't feel most of the public agrees with him. I don't feel TRT is misunderstood, I think it's cheating. To my knowledge it doesn't exist in any other sport and it shouldn't. I'm personally sorry that it likely end the career of two fighters I like (Hendo and Chael) but them's the breaks. I still wish the UFC would get serious about real drug testing for it's fighters.

I think the exact same thing. What I really want to see is what happens to Vitor.

I don't know a lot about TRT but it's telling to me that other professional athletes don't use it. Also, how many pro athletes are in their mid to late 40's? How many 45 year old pro foot ball players or basket ball players are there? a quick google search shows that there aren't many.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/40_and_over_club.aspx

Dillashaw vs Barao
Cormier vs Henderson
Ellenberger vs Lawler
Mizugaki vs Rivera
Krause vs Varner

Chiesa vs Trinaldo
Ferguson vs Kikuno
Camus vs Holdsworth
Clarke vs Iaquinta

What are your thoughts?

I have the same picks as you. I want Hendo to win, I just don't think he can. I think Cormier is going to either put on a clinic or KO Dan. I think Dan has come to rely on his right hand and it seems like he has become a one dimensional fighter.

Dan henderson the prankster:

Dan Henderson attempts to sabotage Daniel Cormier's UFC 173 weight cut with Popeyes Chicken

"It was funny. I went to go check out the guys. On my way to see DC, I saw Dan last night in the workout rooms. Dan's coming back and they dropped [Cormier] off a bunch of chicken...Popeye's...It was the best idea I've ever heard of. So it was like in the locker room, DC's smelling it, people keep opening the door. We had a whole team in there, a couple people keep sneaking a couple of bites. The smell permeates the room. DC's eyes just light up like golf balls."

LMAO!!

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/5/21/5...ormier-weight-cut-ufc-173-popeyes-chicken-mma

Dan henderson the prankster:

Dan Henderson attempts to sabotage Daniel Cormier's UFC 173 weight cut with Popeyes Chicken

"It was funny. I went to go check out the guys. On my way to see DC, I saw Dan last night in the workout rooms. Dan's coming back and they dropped [Cormier] off a bunch of chicken...Popeye's...It was the best idea I've ever heard of. So it was like in the locker room, DC's smelling it, people keep opening the door. We had a whole team in there, a couple people keep sneaking a couple of bites. The smell permeates the room. DC's eyes just light up like golf balls."

LMAO!!

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/5/21/5...ormier-weight-cut-ufc-173-popeyes-chicken-mma

That's too funny.

Did you guys see the Bellator 120 weigh ins, Rampage shoved King Mo and was fined by the Tennessee Athletic commission 10 G's. I'm glad to see commissions cracking down on that garbage. The shoving that occasionally goes on at weigh ins infuriates me and makes the sport look bad. They get to punch the guy in the face in 24 hours, if you're that mad, be a professional and wait until it's sanctioned.

TJ Dillashaw, TJ Dillashaw, TJ Dillashaw....Holy Smokes!

That was a top 3, if not, the best performance I have ever seen...even more so that he was up against a previously dominating Renan Barao (he hadn't lost in almost a decade).

My other thoughts, I was really hoping that Hendo would retire on air. He was significantly undersized and probably gave up 25+ lbs to Cormier. Subsequently, he got tossed around like a rag doll or stuck under the Cormier throughout the fight. IMO, Hendo's a legend but his age and the huge amount of past fights has caught up to him.

I didn't watch the fights but saw the results. Want to see that Dillashaw fight really bad. Love seeing late round finishes.

Hendo should just stick to training guys.

brucered

System Generated
@Senshi @Atalk agreed, I wish Hendo would have retired too, but sounded like he wasn't going to. Maybe he'll drop down or maybe if he looses again, he'll be pushed into retirement by UFC management.

The Under card was very good too with a nice choke...but in forget who it was. The choke from the bottom.

Varner's foot was gross. But what heart. It was hard to watch him take kicks and try standing but thankful it didn't go any longer and hopefully no long term damage from trying to stand on it for 4 minutes.

Where was Ellenberger for round 1 and 2? He looked good for about 30 seconds in round 3, until he hurt his hand. Either that or Lawler is that good and made him look that bad. Lawler is a Fighter, no doubt about it.

Cormier made Dan look awful. Total domination and no time was he in any trouble. TRT, age...it caught up to Dan. He looked like a heavy bag the way he was taking punches and getting flipped around. He turtled the entire round 3.

TJ looked amazing and almost ended it in R1. Glad Herb didn't stop it early. Barao almost got KO'd in R3 when he was complaining of an eye poke. He came through and put on a heck of a performance. I don't think it was as big an upset as Joe Rogan said even more so then Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson....TJ was #4 ranked.

Overall a very enjoyable card with some great performances

Last edited:
I feel bad for Varner - That guy has got tremendous heart but his body is always betraying him. As for Ellenberger, he is a great example of inconsistency. The guy has got some mean power but he seems hesitant because he is afraid to gas himself out.

@Bruce - Mitch Clarke's Brabo choke definitely was a thing of beauty. It's practically game over anytime a fighter grabs a guillotine/brabo choke and has the leverage/space to use the palm of their free hand to squeeze. I still remember Jon Jones choking out Machida...

What a great card.

I understand that you want to neutralize your opponents strengths, but cormier wanted NO part in the striking with dan. I was hoping that we would get to see some type of striking. Oh well, i can't wait to see this guy lose. I still think he should fight someone that's not at the end of his career, or a green guy like cummins. I don't think he deserves a title shot after that.

Also, why in the hell did hendo take this fight? he just fought 2 months ago.

Barao/TJ Dillashaw, i really couldn't believe what i was watching. TJ beat the brakes off barao! Barao couldn't do anything. Congrats to TJ, he finally did what faber failed to do twice. I don't even know what was going on with ellenburger, but someone recommend that guy a sports shrink. He just fails to pull the trigger in the fights that matter.

I don't think most people understand how truly good Cormier's wrestling is and he's been going up against heavyweights his whole life to toss around a 200 pounder is nothing for that man. Remember when he fought Barnett, tossed him like a ragdoll and Big Josh enters the cage around 275.

Dillashaw, holy crap. That kid was awesome!!! Destroyed Barao the whole fight, once he got that knockdown in the first his confidence went through the roof and that kid was unstoppable.

Varner what heart, that ankle was brutal!

Lawler looked good, Ellenberger I miss that destroyer that he was against Jake Shields, but I don't think we'll see him again.

Top Bottom